Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO VIII Highway Performance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2004, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO VIII Highway Performance

How is the EVO on the Highway as far as performace. I hear the STI pulls much harder on the highway b/c of more displacment. Example if you are going 80 mph and yu downshift to appropriate gear and punch it, how good does it pull. I keep hearing not so good. My friend raced an an EVO with his R32, says the EVO got him (obviously) off the line but after about 80 the R32 started gaining quickly. What do yu guys think? Also does exhuast and boost controller cure this problem?
Old Oct 4, 2004, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, up top the Evo needs a little help. Yes, boost control and more open exhaust plus tuning goes a very long way.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Those mods also help off the line too
Old Oct 4, 2004, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

I can't see the AWD 240 HP R32 "gaining quickly" on the Evo.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
Yeah, up top the Evo needs a little help. Yes, boost control and more open exhaust plus tuning goes a very long way.
Forget serious tuning. Im talking Exhuast and boost controller which does what ??? 2more lbs of boost correct? Will those 2 make a hella difference on the highway?
Old Oct 4, 2004, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

The evo pulls well through second which is good for just over 60 mph. Third (about 90) and fourth (about 120) are strong, fifth is weak. If you drive within the law there is no issue about highway power.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SinCityEvo
I can't see the AWD 240 HP R32 "gaining quickly" on the Evo.
My friend likes to exageratte too much, so maybe he was slightly beginning to catch up
Old Oct 4, 2004, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WildRice
The evo pulls well through second which is good for just over 60 mph. Third (about 90) and fourth (about 120) are strong, fifth is weak. If you drive within the law there is no issue about highway power.
Im talkin about 80mph and STI is doin 80, they both punch it. Who will pull on who?
Old Oct 4, 2004, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

the evo sucks from mid third gear up
sure fuel management and boost control helps but cams will definately give the best results

the sti would rape it a new a**hole

Last edited by SilverEvo8owner; Oct 4, 2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Smile

Originally Posted by SilverEvo8owner
the sti would rape it a new a**hole
So stock EVO v.s. stock STI (both 05's we're talkin) STI would pull on the EVO hard.........huh?? I would never really do serious mods like engine internals. The only mods are like ECU reflash, exhuast, BOV, Boost controller and maybe CAI. Will that setup help much or will it still be very similiar? Even though the Boost contoller increases boost but its only 2more lbs tho
Old Oct 4, 2004, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JaguarS4R
Forget serious tuning. Im talking Exhuast and boost controller which does what ??? 2more lbs of boost correct? Will those 2 make a hella difference on the highway?
Ok... First of all, adding the boost controller doesn't specifially add "2more lbs of boost"... it adds whatever you tell it to add, but it can keep the boost from tapering, which is a big liability at higher RPMs for the stock Evo.

As far as the exhaust, when I added just my Buschur 3" turboback (no BC, no tuning yet), I went from ~230whp to 255whp on a Dynojet dyno. That's a pretty good gain, and it definitely opened things up higher.

As far as tuning, I'm not even talking about "serious tuning". A simple mail-in flash to get things working well together and even it out makes a very measurable difference. Just bolting stuff on will help, but not THAT much...
Old Oct 4, 2004, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JaguarS4R
Even with a 3" Exhaust and a Boost Contoller (which limits natural tapering to 16 lbs), it really opens up the top end of the car. We are talking very noticable differences. It is not like slapping an exhaust on a 350z and gaining 10hp...with an Evo is more like 30 to 40 with both installed.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

hmm not sure if this makes sense but
Evo AWD @ 271HP
R32 AWD @ 240 HP

and I believe I read somewhere that the R32 weighs in a tad bit more than the Evo so I don't see how the R32 can gain on the Evo @ 80mph??

Anyhow, if you want to get rid of the boost taper, either get a boost controller or get the P2 ecu reflash, holds 19psi till redline.

Nebo
Old Oct 4, 2004, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tuning will help out the top alot, as well as putting a boost controller on to maintain solid boost, and as always open up the intake/exhaust. Those will help out alot, and then cams give a big boost in topend
Old Oct 4, 2004, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

I doubt the R32 was pulling it in... I've raced a friend here with one, and he couldn't pull from 60+ on the highway... stock for stock too... as far as the STi, the added HP helps out a bit on the top end, but, from what i've seen, tb exhaust + BC + flash = a totally diff car...