Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

US spec EVO VII sighted last night in So Cal (have pic)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2001, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh this get's me going!!!

I'm very happy, and really I can't wiat till this car get's here

Nick
Old Dec 9, 2001, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

I hope this is a US model.

But some things seem strange to me:

1. How do you know about the placement of the intercooler? Have you seen a Japanese spec EVO in person?

2. Why are the pics so blurry?

3. Why no pics of the interior or intercooler?

4. Seems to me Mitsu would have to do more than just move the intercooler, the bumper itself has to be able to withstand a 5 mph impact, right? I thought they would need to put those shock type things in the bumper. As you can see i'm no expert but one would think if Mitsu had to do that, it would look slightly different that the Japanese spec EVO.

thanks
Old Dec 9, 2001, 05:19 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

I doubt this is a hoax pic. I can almost make out the Cali plate on the car behind the Evo. As far as the intercooler goes, this is probably a test mule for Mitsubishi so this probably isn't exactly what we'll be getting.

I don't think the 5mph crash test is as big a deal as they make it out to be. If importers are getting around this then I doubt Mitsubishi will have that big of a problem.

Mark
Old Dec 9, 2001, 05:24 PM

Lightbulb

LanEvo,

It's probably in Cali due to it's 'stringentest' motor laws. Getting it tested and run in California means it is capable everywhere else including Canada, eh?
Old Dec 9, 2001, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by will667
I hope this is a US model.

But some things seem strange to me:

1. How do you know about the placement of the intercooler? Have you seen a Japanese spec EVO in person?

2. Why are the pics so blurry?

3. Why no pics of the interior or intercooler?

4. Seems to me Mitsu would have to do more than just move the intercooler, the bumper itself has to be able to withstand a 5 mph impact, right? I thought they would need to put those shock type things in the bumper. As you can see i'm no expert but one would think if Mitsu had to do that, it would look slightly different that the Japanese spec EVO.

thanks
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Will 667,
In response to your questions:

1) I know about the intercooler placement b/c its the "hot topic" that is one of the major things preventing the current Japan Spec EVO from coming here. And yes I have seen a Japan spec evo @ the Battle of the Imports show in Palmdale, Ca

2)The pics are so blurry b/c my Nikon sucks at taking night shots. I am not a professional photographer but it sure is easy to see these pics arent fake and haven't been photoshopped.

3) There are no pics of the interior or intercooler b/c I was chased away by the owner of the car. (see above post)

4)As far as the 5mph crash issue, please refer to sport compact car November 2001 issue where this subject is gone over with a fine tooth comb. Quoted from the article "...changes Mitsubishi will have to make to the car (5-mph bumpers, redesigned front intercooler)..."

* I'm not lying to anyone, I'm just an excited car geek that caught a glimpse of one of the coolest cars in existance and wanted to share it with other car geeks and rally fans.
Old Dec 9, 2001, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

smolvar.

I'm in no way saying that the pictures are fake. I'm just thinking about what I might have done if I saw one of the greatest cars in exsistence. I would probably have hit that guy over the head with something so I could get better pics
Old Dec 9, 2001, 10:34 PM

will667,
No hard feelings, I just know there are alot of fake photos out there and I hate them! Wouldnt want to lumped in with some junk doctored photos.

Looking back on it I should have taken more pics, but honestly one of the reasons I coudlnt stay (other than the yelling freak owner) was b/c I was late for my movie. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, what can you do?
Old Dec 10, 2001, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

lol@getting chased by owner
Old Dec 10, 2001, 08:32 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

looks just like the japan spec car from afar. luv it!
Old Dec 10, 2001, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Good work smolvar. After careful study of the great blurry photo, I think it is the same sized intercooler. I've seen the EVO in japan over several years. I was shocked by the OEM intercooler because it looks like an aftermarket tuning piece. The pipes that connect it are just huge.

From what I see in the photo is the same diameter pipe and the fins of the intercooler extending at least the license plate mount. So my guess is the is the same or damn close to the JDM spec part.
Old Dec 10, 2001, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

erikgj,

How in the hell can you see the fins of the intercooler from that blurry pic.
Old Dec 10, 2001, 11:59 AM

Just reading up on some other topics in this forum. Seems that the US sepc EVO is to make an apearance and its release date are to be announced at the LA Auto show in late January. Maybe that is why this car is in LA.
Old Dec 10, 2001, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

What leads do we have so far about the U.S. EVO VII at the LA auto show?

I would consider flying there from the east coast if it's true.
Old Dec 10, 2001, 12:38 PM

The info I got on the LA auto show and release dates, etc I was viewing in this thread -- http://www.lancerforums.com/forums/s...=&threadid=976
Old Dec 10, 2001, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by will667
erikgj,

How in the hell can you see the fins of the intercooler from that blurry pic.
Will667, I'm not counting the fins I can tell you that much. I opened it with Fireworks and Photoshop. Without any manipulations other you can see the inlet pipe and the endcan of the I/C. The actual fin area is a lighter shade of gray. The gray fin area extends right up to the license plat holder just like the EVOs in Japan.

It is there.

Erik

Quick Reply: US spec EVO VII sighted last night in So Cal (have pic)