Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Calipers peeling (dealer response)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2004, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hostile

You can also have them re-powder coated. It is just a candy red, it is not worth replacing the whole calipers for cosmetics.

If the dealership is responsible I dont see why not.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 02:13 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how is it not worth it if dealer does it? lol

it's $1400 per caliper for the front.

Good luck
Old Nov 24, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

I had my two front caliphers replaced under warranty
Old Nov 24, 2004, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evillusion
Well, the local dealer is rebuilding my transmission (again) due to bad syncros. The first time the dealer replaced 2nd and 5th gear syncros, now they are replacing 4th.

I raised the issue about the peeling calipers, showing the dealer the weblog of dozens of owners having the same problem. The Svc Mgr has denied the "claim" and will not replace the calipers. He told me they have to be mechanically defective.

I am going to wait until they are done with the tranny work to raise hell because I dont want to **** them off and encourage them to put sand or something in my transmission so it will fail again. (I'm ~3000 miles away from warranty expiration)

Maybe I will test the "mechanical ability" of the calipers by driving straight at thier showroom and slamming on the brakes at the last minute over and over until they fail... then they can replace my car, and the 05 evo and 05 montero that I will slam into when they do fail.

Of course Im kidding, but I am sick to death of Mitsubishi's whining about warranty issues. Obviously I will never own another Mitsubishi (or another VW for that matter - same problem)

Thanks for letting me vent!!
Just wondering did you have 5th gear grind?? and if yes did they cover that under warranty?
Old Nov 24, 2004, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by snoop
I had my two front caliphers replaced under warranty
for chipping????
Old Nov 24, 2004, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Santhology
Just wondering did you have 5th gear grind?? and if yes did they cover that under warranty?
The previous owner had the 2nd and 5th gear grind and it WAS covered under warranty. Now they are replacing the 4th gear syncro.

I can't just go to another dealership unless I go outside the district manager's area. The DSM (district service mgr) has said it is not covered. I am going to try to contact mitsu directly although I dont know how.

BadEvo: I am not going to just roll over, but I am not going to murder anyone over caliper paint either. They already know that I am going to slam them on like 6 different boards that I post on, not to mention that I already give negative reviews of Mitsu's service when people ask me about my Evo.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
for chipping????
Clear coat was coming off and bubbling.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

The previous owner had the 2nd and 5th gear grind and it WAS covered under warranty. Now they are replacing the 4th gear syncro.

I can't just go to another dealership unless I go outside the district manager's area. The DSM (district service mgr) has said it is not covered. I am going to try to contact mitsu directly although I dont know how.

BadEvo: I am not going to just roll over, but I am not going to murder anyone over caliper paint either. They already know that I am going to slam them on like 6 different boards that I post on, not to mention that I already give negative reviews of Mitsu's service when people ask me about my Evo.

I understand how you fill. I've been meaning to get my wing fixed because the mitsu dealership thought they new how to buff a car. but It just iritates me to even drive into a mitsu dealership. I went and looked at the MR at hays mitsu in rivergate and it had a huge scratch on the back bumper where someone had back it into something and they just left it that way. it was parked outside and was nasty as hell. I can't believe how they where treating that car. it was just unlocked for anyone to come by and get into. I only go there to laught in the faces of the sales me who come out there. A friend of mine was intrested in getting an evo and we went there to look at the one they had and it was a used 03 with like 20k on it and they still wanted 30k for it.... I laught at the sales man and he looked at me and said what... I said I purchased that exact car brand new for 26,900+ttl from a different dealership. he just looked at me and was like, "ok"... there the most pathetic excuse of a dealership. dealerships like that should not be allowed to sell a geo metro. little alone an Evo. I just can't get over how stupid some of the dealerships are.

-Chad-
Old Nov 25, 2004, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by snoop
Clear coat was coming off and bubbling.
I'd love to be the tech that replaces those calipers.... do you think I would throw the old ones in the dumpster ? $$$$$$$$$ I bought a b18c5 bottom end with bad rings for 150$ 3 years ago cuz I saw it on the floor at dealer and tech sold it to me...
Old Nov 25, 2004, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jfboy
I'd love to be the tech that replaces those calipers.... do you think I would throw the old ones in the dumpster ? $$$$$$$$$ I bought a b18c5 bottom end with bad rings for 150$ 3 years ago cuz I saw it on the floor at dealer and tech sold it to me...
They have to send the calipers back to mitsu bro.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 06:11 AM
vsc

I raised the issue about the peeling calipers, showing the dealer the weblog of dozens of owners having the same problem. The Svc Mgr has denied the "claim" and will not replace the calipers. He told me they have to be mechanically defective.

Thanks for letting me vent!!
In my experience other manufactures replace the calipers if they peel (e.g. Porsche, Audi, etc). In fact this seems to be a problem that is not unheard of with these calipers. Just check a few Porsche sites if you don't believe me.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsu is replacing both my front calipers im going in on black friday to get them replaced as well as repainting my side mirrors and replacing the wing
Old Nov 26, 2004, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

I still havent spoken to anyone above the District manager. They havent finished the syncro problem yet, so Im not going over to the dealership to whine just yet.

If they don't fix the calipers, that's no big deal...I mean I can polish them, re-coat them or whatever...but it makes a statement and that statement is NOT: "Best Backed Cars"

I am only like ~3k miles away from the warranty expiring, so Im not going to burst a blood vessel worrying about it. But I will most certainly make sure everyone that asks me about the car will get the lowdown on Mitsubishi's failure with their customer service. Im sure that will help sell a lot of cars!
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lemacfar
Mitsu is replacing both my front calipers im going in on black friday to get them replaced as well as repainting my side mirrors and replacing the wing
why what is happening i have some questionable issues on my car as well and was wondering if they are the ssame as yours
Old Nov 27, 2004, 06:27 AM

THAT'S TOTAL BS!!!!! When I was at the dealer getting my tires rotated, the guys in service told me that Mitsu is warrenting the brake calipers for peeling. Call a differant dealership...You can call Swope Mitsu in Radcliff, KY and ask the guys in the parts department...They told ME about it, but my calipers arn't peeling...Their number is 270-351-2181.

Quick Reply: Calipers peeling (dealer response)