Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Curb Weight: 3263(w/o sunroof) 3298(w/sunroof). U.S evo VIII. Sup? ACD?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2002, 09:53 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by gtr
You mean no AYC on the rs.
Yep thats what I meant.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:05 PM

Maybe the specs sheet for the Evo that weighs 3263 is for the automatic version? that would make some sense, as there is supposed to be an automatic version offered, and that is almost the exact weight of the e7 GT-A

just a thought

mostly just wishful thinking though
Old Dec 12, 2002, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

Well, assuming those numbers are correct (and official), then there are some possible explanations for them.

First off, it's not an Evo VII, despite mainly being an evolution of the Evo VII (no pun intended). It is a new model, and is manufactured with an eye towards volume. It could have, and probably does have, additional sound deadening and a bit more construction towards "comfort". Safety concerns for the American market have probably added more structural supports. The JDM Evo VII was not renowned for it's crash safety - this was partially addressed with the GT-A, one of the reasons for it's heavier weight. Also, the front subframe was changed a bit for this version, I believe for crash safety reasons again.

While the Evo has been positioned against the STi, it also looks like MMC may be moving it's image and position against a more popular car (in Japan), the Legacy B4. That would mean a bit more creature comforts, to say the least, and a bit more weight. This is the reasoning behind the GT-A in the first place - the STi never had, and probably never will have an automatic.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen
Old Dec 12, 2002, 04:43 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

So we can probably assume that the US Evo and STi will be about the same weight.

Paul I know you've said before that US STi won't come with the twin scroll turbo and equal length headers. Is this still the case?
Old Dec 12, 2002, 06:12 AM

If it weighs this much, it will be even heavier than the 350Z (which is pretty beefy at around 3200lbs).

What a letdown...and here everyone is expecting it to weigh even less than 3000lbs.

I hope this turns out to be a false rumor.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

It was announced in an article that their wasn't going to be an acd or ayc, but said that somewhere down the road they might consider it as an option.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 07:51 AM
In Timeout

Originally posted by tpm17
I thought it was already a known fact that the initial allotment of Evo VIII's will not contain ACD and AYC. At this point I don't even care if it comes with them or not. My main concern at this point is my $1000 deposit I left may have been a complete waste of time considering the fact that dealers are going to tag on enormous amounts of money to the sticker price and hte dealership I"m dealing with is so sneaky that although I was the first one to put down a deposit, it probably doesn't mean jack **** in their book. I do have it in writing that I am entitled to the 1st Evo VIII they receive there was also mention of Fair Market Value to be paid and that was their way of screwing me if I only want to pay sticker price. I'm willing to pay $33,000 but no more, I know I'm kidding myself, I should probably go and just get my deposit back and wait 5 years. LOL
hehe wait 5 years get a evo 13 LOL
Old Dec 12, 2002, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Gendo Ikari
If it weighs this much, it will be even heavier than the 350Z (which is pretty beefy at around 3200lbs).

What a letdown...and here everyone is expecting it to weigh even less than 3000lbs.

I hope this turns out to be a false rumor.
I posted about this in another thread. Looks like it's going to have very similar power/weight with the 350Z.

Some common data:

Last edited by jedinite; Dec 12, 2002 at 08:39 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 09:09 AM
In Timeout

got a question how do you know if it's gonna cost at 29,500 did you just guess it or you got it from a beliveable source
Old Dec 12, 2002, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Hmm, this was my reply on the other thread (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=11164), but it seem to be more "at home' here. Sorry for duplication!

Originally posted by jedinite
If this is the correct "curb weight", then we're looking at a car with similar weight to the Nissan 350Z (3250) and the BMW 330i (3285).

Sounds like the car out the door will have similar power/weight as the 350z.

I have the faith in - this car will be everything I want it to be. A street-legal race-bred machine capable of outperforming the cars in its class (in handling, braking, and acceleration) with a reasonable pricetag, with ample opportunity for aftermarket tuning to turn the performer into a supserstar.
Well, this is the part that actually scares me! I talked with a friend of mine about this and it still looks pretty scary to me. The point is in what other cars potential buyers are going to be comparing the new EVO with? Up there you mentioned a few: BMW 330i and 350Z. Maybe Audi A4, G35 and few others that are in the same price range as EVO is expected to be.

If EVO comes without a fancy active drivetrain, what edge is going to have compare to those other cars? Quality of ride? Quality of the interior? Styling? Performance?

I am afraid that none of the above are going to be an EVOs strong selling points and I can see potential buyers to go with the different brands, just because they have more to after.

So, besides few of the hard core enthusiasts that want a great platform for the racing only, I don't see much of anything for the average Joe Schmo. Unfortunately, the second ones are the ones that make money!

Mr. AWD
Old Dec 12, 2002, 09:26 AM

So WTF, our Evos are gonna suck? Well, not suck, but I mean, they are not going to be as great as they were hyped to be? If this is true then I (and I'm sure everyone else) will be dissapointed... WTF, I was all excited about the Evos coming over and kicking *** in America, but now...
Old Dec 12, 2002, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

To be honest, I'm not bummed out that we are not getting AYC/ACD. I'm bummed out that is weighs so much, that it has a 5-speed instead of 6 in japan .... so we are pretty much not getting the Evolution VIII ... we are just getting a "version" of the evolution, dare I say almost "base" model of the EVO.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 09:36 AM

Wow, what the hell... Five speed now instead of six?? Damn, I didn't know this crap, how long ago did we realize are Evos aren't gonna be that great?? Supposedly we were all getting TeH AwEsOmE EvO, what happened???
Old Dec 12, 2002, 09:37 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There you go ppl. The response from the public. We all expect a JDM version with changes only to pass U.S. regulations like the statement given at the car show last year.

I sure hope you have active diffs up your sleves or offer them soon? No one wants a crappy version of the original car even if it's already pretty good without the evolution goodies.

At the price at 30K we should get the active goodies
Old Dec 12, 2002, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

All you guys need some

Quick Reply: Curb Weight: 3263(w/o sunroof) 3298(w/sunroof). U.S evo VIII. Sup? ACD?