Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo hydroplaning in the rain

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2004, 02:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Evo hydroplaning in the rain

Ever since my Evo has converted into a daily driver, I've ran into a few stormy drives. Twice, I thought my Evo was sliding in the rain. Today, I pretty much confirmed it by pushing the limits a little further along a wide turning highway, enough to cause me to slide straight into the lane next to me (it was night time, and not many cars were on the road). I slid for about 3 seconds, like I was on ice. Steering didn't do anything. My stock tires are about 50% worn, speeds about 70mph, and the rain was coming down pretty hard. I've autocrossed on wet pavement before, and it still gripped like no other. It seems like it only happens when the rain is coming down, not when it's just wet on the road.

Has anyone else run into similar situations? I know these tires aren't rain tires, but my old corolla with the cheapest Michelin tires doesn't hydroplane nearly as bad (and trust me, I've run into nearly every situation possible with that corolla ).
Old Dec 7, 2004, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thoe99
Ever since my Evo has converted into a daily driver, I've ran into a few stormy drives. Twice, I thought my Evo was sliding in the rain. Today, I pretty much confirmed it by pushing the limits a little further along a wide turning highway, enough to cause me to slide straight into the lane next to me (it was night time, and not many cars were on the road). I slid for about 3 seconds, like I was on ice. Steering didn't do anything. My stock tires are about 50% worn, speeds about 70mph, and the rain was coming down pretty hard. I've autocrossed on wet pavement before, and it still gripped like no other. It seems like it only happens when the rain is coming down, not when it's just wet on the road.

Has anyone else run into similar situations? I know these tires aren't rain tires, but my old corolla with the cheapest Michelin tires doesn't hydroplane nearly as bad (and trust me, I've run into nearly every situation possible with that corolla ).
ALL cars with wide performance rubber are going to hydroplane more easily than a Corolla with skinnier tires. Most cars will hydroplane in standing water at speeds in excess of 50 MPH. It is often hard to tell where the standing water is as well, so the only solution is to slow down.

Wider tires have a contact patch that is perpendicular to the plane of travel. Skinny tires have a more or less rounded patch, or one that is parallel to the direction of travel. It is harder for a wedge of water to get under the contact patch of a skinnier tire.

I had a 1984 Mitsubishi Mirage turbo. With the OEM tires (165/60 13s!) it would do OK in the rain. When I went all the way up to 185/50 14s, it would sometimes hit the rev limiter if I got into the gas a little bit too hard on the highway in the rain.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 04:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
your best bet is to get tires designed to perform better in all seasons and weather..

The stock advans are amazing on dry pavement, but SKATE like you would not believe when there is any more rain than a quick spray... Forget about snow or ice, or even wet mud, your stuck or out of control..

Although the wide tire thing is somewhat true, Its more a fact that the advans don't have the correct tread pattern to move a large amount of water out of the contact patch at any speed over 30mph..
Old Dec 7, 2004, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rburris28
...Wider tires have a contact patch that is perpendicular to the plane of travel. Skinny tires have a more or less rounded patch, or one that is parallel to the direction of travel. It is harder for a wedge of water to get under the contact patch of a skinnier tire...
Ah, makes sense. That's the logical answer I was looking for.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 05:29 AM

I agree
Old Dec 7, 2004, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

On new Advans, I was doing 130 MPH in driving rain at Mid Ohio race track, most other cars could not go over 90 MPH. When the tread got down to 20-40% I had trouble going over 60 MPH in hard rain. It's all a function of tread depth.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Wait till the Advans go bald and drive in the rain. That is real fun
Old Dec 7, 2004, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed that it is especially tricky to stop the RS during rain -- no antilock brakes.

d
Old Dec 7, 2004, 07:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Toyo T1-S tires in OE size cured that problem for me completely. Now I can drive much faster/harder than I should in the wet, cold or both.