Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Will the EVO VIII be sold out by early summer?
Most definately!
21.33%
No way
22.67%
If they do, they\'ll make more...
37.33%
I have no idea.
18.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Will the EVO sell out by summer?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2003, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To add to this, I don't believe the U.S. Evo has a dedicated assembly line. The same line must be reset in order to build the Euro and JDM Evos, since they have a different array of equipment. I don't believe they will reset the line very often in order to fulfill extra demand in the U.S., or their target quantities for the rest of the world will slip.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

No way! Not all dealers are going to let these gems go for MSRP and which means there are going to be quite a few on the lots at dealers. Remember this isn't a vehicle that everyone wants. It's not practical to all. Although, I beg to differ. I think it's waay better than any SUV or even most 2 seaters. How could anyone not want a vehicle that is sure footed like the EVO and has the power to get around any slowgoing rig hogging the highway. Not to mention if you buy enough groceries to feed the entire block all you have to do is plop the seats down in the back and there you have it. Instant space. Dare we speak about the awesome brakes? Let's stop there we all know that your friends will be peeling their eyes off the windshield when the binders are applied with enough force to snap the pedal off. Haa!

However, that's not the case....We have people out there that would rather drive a vehicle that is more prone to roll overs and sucks gas as fast as a top fueler. So, imo that leaves more for us.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

I for one think the Evo is very practical, compared to a Miata or S2000 anyway

and if you think the ride is too harsh, then you really shouldn't be looking at Evo (or STi, Z06 etc). It’s a performance car for crying out loud, and I bet MMC will import as many of them as they can sell, regardless of the "limited edition" nature of the previous generation Evos.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 09:17 PM

Hey guys, this is my first post, but I've been reading here and getting all the info pretty much since the site was created. The site rocks

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you read this article last month in Motor Trend about Mitsubishi expanding North American production capacity: http://motortrend.com/features/news/112_news54/

If they did expand here, do you guys think that they would produce Evos domesically, and possibly in greater quantities? And you think they would ever use the Normal, Illinois DSM plant?
Old Jan 27, 2003, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Longfury
if they only produce 4500ish cars and they sell out by the time the Sti rolls around they will lose alot of sales
Just how many STI's do you think there will be? Its not like if you can't get an EVO, you can just walk across the street and hop in an STI. I am betting the STI will be even harder to come by.

Honestly if you really wanted an EVO this year, you should already have done the leg work. I have been talking to dealers for over 2 years now, and was able to shore up a 1st allocation car.

For all we know, Mitsubishi might be losing money on these cars, just as they did for the Galant VR-4. They might be just making minimum to race. The intent is not to actually sell the EVO, but to get traffic in dealers and name recognition. They want the people who buy the Montero and Outlander, and could probably care less exactly how many EVO's are sold past the 4500 mark.

Last edited by TearItUpSports; Jan 27, 2003 at 09:35 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by TearItUpSports

Just how many STI's do you think there will be? Its not like if you can't get an EVO, you can just walk across the street and hop in an STI. I am betting the STI will be even harder to come by.

Honestly if you really wanted an EVO this year, you should already have done the leg work. I have been talking to dealers for over 2 years now, and was able to shore up a 1st allocation car.

For all we know, Mitsubishi might be losing money on these cars, just as they did for the Galant VR-4. They might be just making minimum to race. The intent is not to actually sell the EVO, but to get traffic in dealers and name recognition. They want the people who buy the Montero and Outlander, and could probably care less exactly how many EVO's are sold past the 4500 mark.
my point was they will not have that traffic and they could lose sales across the board if they sell out

i am doing my best to wait....i will probally get one out of the next years production
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

The Evo 1-6 were limited production but the Evo 5 onwards, they tried to built as many as they could sell. About 5k or more a year.

The Evo7 had 10k units produced at least and is no longer a limited production car. Same goes for the Evo 8. Mitsu are in the business of selling cars and making profits. They will make as many as they can sell.
With the Evo7, the cars are no longer homologated, and this probably reduced the cost of manufacturing. The more cars that are made and sold, the more profit there is.

If orders for the Evo8 flood the system and overload the manufacturing capacity, then people will have to wait as Mitsu can only produce so many cars a month. Like the Mini, the wait might be a long while but you will still get your car.

Dont worry about it getting sold out.

The STI is going to help as well since people will cross-shop these two cars.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

"my point was they will not have that traffic and they could lose sales across the board if they sell out"

Which is one reason some dealerships mark their cars above MSRP. the car will remain in their showroom for a longer period before it is purchased....and at the same time since it's in the showroom, every kid will be coming in to look at it, and could possibly end up buying a regular lancer.

SC
Old Jan 28, 2003, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

my last comment on this is this

they will sell as many as they can build...no one here knows how many they can build
Old Jan 28, 2003, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

a few words from obsolete.

It's very hard to tell what will happen. Honestly, the part where this is a limited production car means nothing. From my knowledge of marketing strategy this does two things for Mitsu. It keeps them from being targeted for being slow on shipments for the cars or not having enough. And it gives a hype to the car making it seem limited, so dealers can use it to hype price if chosen. This is one of those things you won't be able to prove unless you are sitting on the build line watching them, and have complete knowledge of what is going on. Second I think Mitsu will try and sell as many as they can dish out, they will even put pressure on the factories to ship more if thier is demand. This is the first year the car is out so thier is hype. This will build a demand funding back to Mitsu which in all would give them reason to add AYC/ACD to second year car in 2004. When your a large company, it really doesn't matter the greatness of the car as long as it brings a cash flow in. Obviously they cut down some things in the car which, lowered cost, earlier arrival, and this year's evo is basically a stepping stone for mitsubisihi to test the WATERS. To figure out what is taking them so long and their secretacy, i am not sure. Thier a japanese company, i am japanese, we are all sneaky, we got our jokers card hidden in our sleeve. Just have to wait and see.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:06 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the evo 7 gsr stopped production while the rsii are still available, it is easier to produce the evo8 without the acd/ayc hence there will be a lot of them for sale for us consumption.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 2GTSiAWD
No way! Not all dealers are going to let these gems go for MSRP and which means there are going to be quite a few on the lots at dealers. Remember this isn't a vehicle that everyone wants. It's not practical to all. Although, I beg to differ. I think it's waay better than any SUV or even most 2 seaters. How could anyone not want a vehicle that is sure footed like the EVO and has the power to get around any slowgoing rig hogging the highway. Not to mention if you buy enough groceries to feed the entire block all you have to do is plop the seats down in the back and there you have it. Instant space. Dare we speak about the awesome brakes? Let's stop there we all know that your friends will be peeling their eyes off the windshield when the binders are applied with enough force to snap the pedal off. Haa!

However, that's not the case....We have people out there that would rather drive a vehicle that is more prone to roll overs and sucks gas as fast as a top fueler. So, imo that leaves more for us.
"Plop the seats down" eh....Don't think the evo does this..... it would compromise structural integrity too much...I get your point though!
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First 2GTSiAWD,
Evo rear seats do not fold down. Unless the VIII has changed that.
Evolution production:
Model Start Production Total Produced
I 10/92 2 Lots of 2,500= 5,000
II 1/94 5,000
III 2/95 5,000
IV 8/96 2 Lots 6,000+3,000= 9,000
V 1/98 7,617
VI 1/99 7,981
TME 1/00 2,924
VII 1/01 2 Lots 9,991+3,487= 13,478
So 46,000 Lancer Evolutions have been produced in total not including the VIII.

For perspective this is a list of the top selling cars (no trucks) in the US for 2001. The monthly production of Honda civics is 46.6K.

Model Sales
Toyota Camry 616,054
Honda Accord 596,321
Ford Taurus 517,523
Honda Civic 487,336
Ford Focus 381,748
Chevy Cavalier 372,909
Toyota Corolla 338,534
Chevy Impala 302,953
Pontiac Grand Am 267,070
Chevy Malibu 264,841
Nissan Altima 250,804
Ford Mustang 240,988
Saturn S 232,625
Volkswagen Jetta 216,875
Buick Century 209,925
Buick LeSabre 207,250
Pontiac Grand Prix 193,776
Dodge Intrepid 178,597
Neon (Dodge) 175,395
Hyundai Elantra 170,979

We are getting all the LHD Evo VIIIs built. The second largest market for Evos is the UK and they will be getting their cars after the US.
6500 cars will be what we get I think. I think that they will sell them all. The STi is a limited production car also.
Whether that is enough to fulfill the demand I don't know. I bet it won't.

Erik
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

eh, I think the second largest market is Germany?
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i thought all other markets but the US and Germany were RHD

Quick Reply: Will the EVO sell out by summer?