Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2005 Consumer Reports Top Pick among affordable fun-to-drive cars

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wingnut
Try comparing Motor Trend and C&D with Top Gear or Car..

Article Quality: TG/CAR > MT/CD
Number of Articles per Magazine: TG/CAR > MT/CD
Quality of Photography: TG/CAR >>> MT/CD
Quality of Materials (paper, ink, etc): TG/CAR > MT/CD
Editorial Quality: TG/CAR > MT/CD (Read a Clarkson or Needell review and you'll see what I mean.)
Valuable Information: TG/CAR > MT/CD (They have tons of information about insurance costs and resale)
Cost: TG/CAR < MT/CD
Agreed there is no comparison. Also if you ever watch the tv show topgear or fith gear. the camra shots are amazing. Alot of thought and work goes into there show I cant say that for the american counterparts.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This illustrates one of the major flaws with CR reviews of cars that are performance based. The reviews criticize the harsh ride quality, engine noise, and other inherent qualities of performance cars as being less desireable or a problem.

You cannot criticize a performance car for feeling, sounding, and driving like a performance car! If the Evo felt, sounded, or handles like a Crown Victoria NO ONE WOULD BUY IT.

This car is not average and to compare it to the cars in the fat part of the bell curve is not valid.

CoachG
Old Apr 6, 2005, 08:48 AM

Right on, fellas.

Worrying about what Consumer Report say about the Evo is like worrying about a 50 year old man - who drives a Lincoln Town car - says about the Evo...

Old Apr 6, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wingnut
Try comparing Motor Trend and C&D with Top Gear or Car..
Look again. Motor Trend's new Editor-In-Chief is Angus MacKenzie, the former Editor of Car. Car is possibly the class of the field, but MT has been revamped, and at $1.00 (subscription) an issue for MT versus $10.00 (subscription) an issue for Car, I have to give the nod to MT these days.

Last edited by Bogie; Apr 6, 2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

i dont like magazines ...let the consumer be the judge...its a ralley car isn't suppose to be a little louder than a caddilac?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Bogie, to be honest I haven't looked at a MT in years. Probably over 5 years, which should indicate (in my opinion) how poorly written the magazine was. I'll definately look again.

I do read Autoweek, though they're more interested in the industry as a whole than reviewing the particulars about cars. C&D seems to be the top of the local mags here, though there is definate room for improvement across the board.

You're right about the cost differential, though I can buy a Top Gear off the newsstand for a little over $6 and would assume that a subscription would be cheaper.

The other thing that strikes me in regard to the different styles is when a vehicle is disliked in Top Gear or Car they don't hold back. I find it interesting that the BMW X3 was panned in their magazines while there was alot of gushing about it here.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

CR definitely has the wrong mindset to judge the Evo - for a car to be "sporty" and "fun to drive", they think it should be cheap, have a smooth ride and excellent reliability ratings. The likes of Sport Compact Car and Top Gear, on the other hand, know what they are talking about. I prefer SCC but seeing the Evo beat a Lambo in a time attack on TG on BBC definitely holds a certain coolness factor