Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The manual, automatic button

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2003, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...dang...makes me think twice a/b posting something...
unsure of....
Old Feb 3, 2003, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

No comment. This just gives you one more reason to use the search feature.
Old Feb 3, 2003, 12:39 AM
Evolving Member

also with a post like that you should return to "newbie" status
Old Feb 3, 2003, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jrock420
also with a post like that you should return to "newbie" status

Word
Old Feb 3, 2003, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Your right. I won't post anything again like that. The status doens't bother me, I could care less if I were a newbie. Hell, how the hell was I supposed to know what the was, I don't read the evo stuff enough to care about them. BTW, how do you search something that you don't know what it is? Sorry for the original comment.
Old Feb 3, 2003, 12:15 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

FYI, there is a mod you can do to get the best of both worlds, Auto and Manual. I believe Apex-i makes the mod. I'll look it up later...
Old Feb 3, 2003, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, and the "auto stick" has been around for years. It's clutchless but you can get to redline before it shifts.......
Old Feb 3, 2003, 06:26 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RaX
FYI, there is a mod you can do to get the best of both worlds, Auto and Manual. I believe Apex-i makes the mod. I'll look it up later...
Ok, I found it. It's from 5Zigen though, and is available for the Evo VII.

5 Zigen Twin Mode Clutch System

5Zigen releases the Twin Mode Clutch System aftermarket transmission upgrade that offers the best of both transmission worlds: manual & automatic! Such an interchangeability option in a vehicle is a luxury only offered on production models like Porsche's acclaimed Tiptronic, Alfa Romeo's superb Selespeed, and Mitsubishi's innovative INVECS II. This upgrade option provides a driver an automatic transmission mode while driving in heavy downtown traffic or in a traffic jam. It also allows the driver to switch to a manual transmission mode when driving in suburban town areas or when the driver is attacking the slopes & bends on challenging mountain & canyon roads.

The above is achieved by having an on/off switch on the shift knob. Depressing the switch turns the system on, and the transmission will act like a clutch-less shifter, where each push of the gear knob will raises a gear, and each pull of the gear knob will knock down a gear.

The switch on the gear knob is to activate an actuator connected to the transmission oil pressure line. Actuation is controlled by a motor which mechanically disengage the clutch. Such an action will convert the manual transmission state into a semi-automatic transmission state. The amount of adjustability for clutch cut-off is allowed by the actuating mechanism during the twin mode system's set-up.

The Twin Mode Clutch System comes with a computer-controlled pump that controls the clutch's oil pressure, and cables that are used to actuate the switching system. Control in semi-clutch state is made possible by activating the switch on the gear knob and letting the computer to control the actuation.

As a result, interchangeability between M/T & A/T is made possible by turning on the switch. Gear changes are made by turning of the switch. M/T & A/T are two different transmission systems but with the installation from this kit's computer controlled oil pressure pump to on & off the clutch system, the Twin Mode Clutch System becomes a reality. The computer works by reading driving parameters like vehicle speed, engine RPM, and accelerator, clutch, and brake pedals actuation. The ROM chip in the computer differs according to vehicle model.

http://www.takakaira.com/performance...name=5%20Zigen

So BrianDaBox's question isn't as far fetched as you guys make it out to be...

Last edited by RaX; Feb 3, 2003 at 06:30 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2003, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Wow. That was so worth the crap that was flung in my direction. Thank you. I may have been wrong, but it does exist.
Old Feb 3, 2003, 07:00 PM

your right, i was pretty harsh sorry bout that, but it just irratates me sometimes that people are interested in the evo, but no nothing about it.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 03:37 AM
Evolving Member

Jeez guys, everyone starts out somewhere. Share your love of cars with new people not your intolerance of their desire to learn. Save your impatience for ingnorant people that also think they know everything.

BTW, auto trannies with a sequential shifter mode are nothing new, and gaining popularity. I would love an evo with F1 style paddle shifters on the steering wheel. That would rock

Interesting post on the actual manual tranny with an auto mode too!!
Old Feb 4, 2003, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

I apologize for laughing Brian, like i said it sound hella sweet and if taka kaira is selling them, u know it's good stuff. But man Rax, what about performance, does it change? do u have to sacrifice it a bit? I see they can be put on GTR's and Silvias. Can u imagine someone with a modified R34 smoking a domestic and the guy saying, yeah i had it on automatic too...hahhaahahahhahha
Old Feb 5, 2003, 01:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Those F-1 shifters seem cooler than they really are, I think. When you downshift with those things, it certainly ain't smooth--especially when the car is being driven hard. Besides, without a clutch, I think the car would be harder to drive because you have less control than with a manual.

If I had a Ferrari (which I don't), I 'd opt for than beautiful gated shifter, thank you.

Erik in La