Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Revlimiter 05's?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by silvery_eagle
There Are No Rev Limiter For Rs..
You sure? It's supposed to be on _ALL_ 05s.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The rev limiter in neutral is not something real, it only engages when in gear and that is because the clutch pedal has 3 connectors,

1) for "possible" cruise control
2) for starting the car
3) for rev limiter

I read that the switch for rev limiter engages when the pedal is depressed more than 1 inche
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The built-in 5k stutterbox that kicks in if you're motionless with the clutch depressed. This can be used as a launch feature.

Did you really not read the rest of this thread and not know what we were talking about, or were you just being facetious?
No I was not being facetious, although I wish. I re-read your post and see what you meant now. Does this stuttering only affect MR's or is it present on all 05's since all 05's are supposed to have the rev limiter. Again, not being facetious, just being inquisitive, to learn more. Plus this post is leading me to believe not all 05's come with the limiter.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
The rev limiter in neutral is not something real, it only engages when in gear and that is because the clutch pedal has 3 connectors,

1) for "possible" cruise control
2) for starting the car
3) for rev limiter

I read that the switch for rev limiter engages when the pedal is depressed more than 1 inche
No, it only engages when NOT in gear. You have to have the clutch pedal depressed, which means you cannot be in gear. It does not even matter where the shifter is. You are right about the 3 switches. Both the starter switch (#2) and the launch limit switch (#3) are easy to understand once you see how they work. They just have little plastic buttons that get pressed when the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor. If you disconnect either plug, then they no longer function at all, which means you can start the car without pushing in the clutch and/or launch from any rpm you want while sitting still with the car in neutral.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stormhalter
No I was not being facetious, although I wish. I re-read your post and see what you meant now. Does this stuttering only affect MR's or is it present on all 05's since all 05's are supposed to have the rev limiter. Again, not being facetious, just being inquisitive, to learn more. Plus this post is leading me to believe not all 05's come with the limiter.
It's supposed to be on ALL 05s according to the manual. Most people don't think they have it, because they don't understand all the parameters that must be met in order for it to reveal itself. In my case, for instance, I didn't once encounter it until I went to the track and tried one of my old DSM launches, which includes feather the clutch from 6k or so. Since it was imperative that I remain absolutely still and get my rpms to 6k, I encountered the launch limiter. I had never seen it on the street, because from a light I almost always start rolling forward first. This is all fine and dandy on the street (and better for drivetrain), but you can'd do that when sitting between 2 lasers at the track.

If there are 05s that don't have it, I'd be very surprised.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

I figured as much. Thanks Warrtalon, I appreciate the knowledge you dropped on me.

Oh yes, there is one more thing I wanted to pick your brain about. Where are those 3 switches located exactly? Can I find that out in the how-to thread on removing the rev limiter?
Old Apr 21, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stormhalter
I figured as much. Thanks Warrtalon, I appreciate the knowledge you dropped on me.

Oh yes, there is one more thing I wanted to pick your brain about. Where are those 3 switches located exactly? Can I find that out in the how-to thread on removing the rev limiter?
Yeah, just use this link.

I used this as my guide, then once I checked out everything on my own, it all made much more sense. Honestly, though, I never found the switch for the cruise control, but I was able to see the starter and launch limit switches. The one for the starter is super easy and is right in plain view. The launch limit switch was MUCH harder to find, imo, but eventually I found it when I stuck my head all the way up under the dash and looked behind the fuse box. I had my head on the floor looking straight up and jammed all the way in to where I couldn't even fit my arms or hands. Once I knew where the switch was, though, I was easily able to reach it blindly by sticking my arms in after removing my head.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks again. Sounds like you almost could've gotten your head stuck.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and the stupid reason why the usdm gets the rev limiter and the jdm doesnt...

the usdm has stock tires that grip more than jdm stock tires

or in other words
jdm can spin their stock tires at a high launch
while usdm cannot, cause of the grip of the tires and mitsu doesnt want to spend money on replacing the transfercase
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not true, if that was the case the euro spec FQ-400 with 400 factory hp would definitely not be using the 6 speed..The MR is no different launching then regular 05's, if anything it will be slightly better due to a slightly lower 1st gear ratio..
Originally Posted by Knyght
I mean it might make sense in that the 6spd might not be as well engineered as the tried and true 5spd and Mitsu knew this so they added a no launch feature to the MR. Otherwise I couldn't see a reason to limit the MR, unless the MR has a different clutch/line assembly maybe a more restrictive pill?
Old Apr 22, 2005, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

stopped, car in gear, 5k limit
Old Apr 22, 2005, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Petey Turbo
Not true, if that was the case the euro spec FQ-400 with 400 factory hp would definitely not be using the 6 speed..The MR is no different launching then regular 05's, if anything it will be slightly better due to a slightly lower 1st gear ratio..
I never said it was true, just speculating
Old Apr 22, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by silvery_eagle
There Are No Rev Limiter For Rs..
haha, I have an 05 RS and I know for a fact that I have one. I've done it quite a few times.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by twan
stopped, car in gear, 5k limit
stopped, car NOT IN GEAR. Why do people keep saying "car in gear"?

This only works if the clutch is depressed, which means you are NOT in gear.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by burningmoney97
and the stupid reason why the usdm gets the rev limiter and the jdm doesnt...

the usdm has stock tires that grip more than jdm stock tires

or in other words
jdm can spin their stock tires at a high launch
while usdm cannot, cause of the grip of the tires and mitsu doesnt want to spend money on replacing the transfercase
Your joking..............right. If not I want some of what your smokin.

Quick Reply: Revlimiter 05's?