Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is the Evo made out of tin cans or what?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2005, 05:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Evo made out of tin cans or what?

I recently had an accident with a friend of mine. He rear ended my Evo with his s2000 while inching forward in traffic. He suffered only minor damage to his front bumper, only the mounts were broken and a few scratches and scuffs. Where as my Evo's rear bumper, while disceptively didnt look too bad, had a cracked bumper by the exhaust, broken exhaust mount and worst of all my trunk is literally wrinkled and cracked around the spare tire and wheel wells. My body shop is confused that all this damage happened from 5 to 10 mph! I still have the stock rear bumper with bumper beam, so I'm as confused as the body shop is. Has anyone else had this, or something similar, happen?
Old Apr 22, 2005, 05:45 PM

there pretty thin every time i lean on it to pump gas it feels like the whole side caves in it pops right out when im done
Old Apr 22, 2005, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

they are definitely thin-skinned. with my mr i tagged a jeep w/steel bumper not too fast and toasted hood bumper and headlight + intercooler. i have cf hood jdm mr headlights and will get a evo ix bumper when they come out. life hands you lemons you have to make lemonade
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Have you done anything to your T-type urbnprsutvhicle? Great cars but they're high theft out this way. Had a 87 GN and later a 86 T-type but the T-type got stolen =( Recovered totalled and purchased back from my insurance co.

Dave
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the rear on any car, is not as strong as the front
post up some pics !
Old Apr 23, 2005, 05:31 AM

Was it designed that way? Crumple zones are designed to take the energy and dissapate it, so maybe that was what your car was doing. Sucks still.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigcountry
there pretty thin every time i lean on it to pump gas it feels like the whole side caves in it pops right out when im done
AAAHHHH! Don't lean on it then!
Old Apr 23, 2005, 07:28 PM
Account Disabled

I havent taken any pics yet. Goin to the shop tomorrow, its on the frame machine already.