Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

stock blow off valve fluttering

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock blow off valve fluttering

So i am in the market to buy evo a brand new one so i was filling out some papers at a dealership and as i was leaving a used car lot was next door they had a 03 bby evo with 21k miles. I thought why not test drive it. so i get in the car and noticed its has been modded i notice its lowered it has carbon ti catback and some other tasteful things. so we get to test driveing and i am babying the car and the blow off vavle is fluttering i am thinking to my self it because its not under a big load.(i am very knowledgeable about these cars i have been doing research for months and also have owned 3 dsms)So i get it on the highway and get in to the car and its still fluttereing. i loved the way it sounded but didnt plan on buying the car so i pull in the lot to see whats under the hood nad what type of bov it had and to my surprise it was the stock BOV. My question is is this normal cause i was expecting some sort of woosh but no all fluttering even under full load thanks alot glad to be a soon proud evo owner
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Does this car have an aftermarket intake? Because that could be the problem right there. If not the stock bov is either cracked or probably has a bad spring in it.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OMG now we are diagnosing used car lot cars.

Who knows what was done to that car and with the information you provided no one can tell you what's wrong with it. To answer your question, No.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intake problem? How? ARE YOU SURE IT WAS THE BLACK Plastic Diverter Valve? If it is then its not hooked up right.

Intake wont have anything to do with the Diverter Valve. I had the stock one on my car for months and it doesnt flutter unless the vaccum line is disconnected.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

I have a stoke bov(diverter valve) and a hugehks intake that bolts straight to the MAS. In 5th if im under a small amount of boost and a slow speed say maybe 30 or 35 it has a slight flutter but it is hardly noticable. I think that you may have a vacuum line leaking somewhere.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

if it was a strong fluttering noise no matter what amount of load you are under, it is because the blow-off valve is installed the wrong way. it needs to be turned the opposite way. at least that was what was causing my stocker to do after i changed intake. turned it around and the problem dissapeared and made a nice woosh noise.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by timzcat
OMG now we are diagnosing used car lot cars.
well i am glad you thought it was funny..............but anyway it was the black plastic dv it had the hks intake but that would just make it louder not flutter the car ran fine besides that i was just curious
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlewBuYou66
if it was a strong fluttering noise no matter what amount of load you are under, it is because the blow-off valve is installed the wrong way. it needs to be turned the opposite way. at least that was what was causing my stocker to do after i changed intake. turned it around and the problem dissapeared and made a nice woosh noise.
I Agree
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by BlewBuYou66
to be completely honest i think thats what was wrong it looked like that but i havent never seen the stock dv so i wasnt possitive but thanks that what it was then

Last edited by WheelsDos; Apr 28, 2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

Darn. that makes sense.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

yeah be a good guy and tell the used car lot that they need to fix that thing.
Old May 1, 2005, 11:50 PM

you think they are going to believe me i am 20 years old and besides it an hour and a half away from my house
Old May 2, 2005, 02:04 AM
Evolved Member

Customer is always right