Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will the STI ever catch up?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2005, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i look over subaru forums regularly since my bro has an 02 wrx, and this year there has been a huge # of guys who are pushing upwards of 450-500 whp. I think in a few years the subarus will be significantly faster, if everyone uses sti 6 speeds, which dont break nearly as much as the 5 speeds. Maybe Turbotrix will even up the race with the STi theyre building.
Old May 24, 2005, 02:42 PM
Account Disabled

I agree with the Subaru catching up but to what. By the time Subaru will catch up to Evo, the Evo will be much more up ahead. You guys have to think that Evo wont stand still and wait for the Subaru to catch up. Not only that, but the design on the Evo engine is so much better than the Subaru. The Subaru still cannot figure out why their car doesn't handle any better then the previous models. But I really like both of the cars and I am proud to see them on the road. I like the Japanesse to be the kings on the road
Old May 24, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

The 4G63 is simply proven in the U.S. and overseas. It's an excellent modding platform. The EJ257 is a little less........ excellent. Little harder to work on, little weaker internals, smaller parts selection. But it is still capable, even though you have to come over some of these things.

The first set of cams that work with AVCS have been put out. This is the beginning. Now the standalone selection just needs to be a little larger, and the STi will be a lot closer to the EVO in this department. Give it a few years, and hopefully after getting over the AVCS and standalones, the EJ257 will build a reputation.
Old May 24, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stock for stock the 05 STi is better than the 03-04 evos on the road course....i think they about dead even with 05 vs 05....that acd is killer
Old May 24, 2005, 09:02 PM

I don't think you have really seen any "max power" efforts so far with the STi. The few that have don't visit most forums that people here do.

More over why in the HELL would you start a drag car with a STi? I'd rather start with a WRX as the 6spd is horrid for drag racing, and I'd use a EJ257 (sti) shortblock with new rods/pistons between some ported Version 8 heads for a pure dragrace motor.

Oh actualy I'd take a late 80's subaru and shove a said driveline in it instead of getting a WRX. Swap isn't hard if a bit involved, and the shell is a hell of alot lighter and stiffer than the GC8 impreza shell. Most importantly you can find a rust free shell in good shape for next to nothing.

Anyhoo... To the origional poster I have a question... Why the hell do you think an aluminum block is a handicap? Never seen a subaru engine block blow up w/o a rod doing the damage. The 4g63 isn't immune to a rod having a divorce and trying to leave for some fresh air either.
Old May 24, 2005, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CosEvo
I agree with the Subaru catching up but to what. By the time Subaru will catch up to Evo, the Evo will be much more up ahead. You guys have to think that Evo wont stand still and wait for the Subaru to catch up. Not only that, but the design on the Evo engine is so much better than the Subaru. The Subaru still cannot figure out why their car doesn't handle any better then the previous models. But I really like both of the cars and I am proud to see them on the road. I like the Japanesse to be the kings on the road
The EDM and JDM STi's handle significantly better than the USDM STi's.
Old May 24, 2005, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

I honestly dont think it has anything to do with the EJ25 being new... I think it has to do with the 4g63 being so much better engineered and built...

just my .02
Old May 25, 2005, 12:41 AM

evo= radeon

sti= geforce

me= computer geek
Old May 25, 2005, 05:11 AM
Former Sponsor

IMHO .. i think the sti guys took a while to come around to modding their cars.. Now that people are doing turbo's ( GT35's ect ) they are making the same power on pump gas as we are. With more torque... Yes the drivetrain isnt as good, yes you need to spend more to achieve the power as the evo, but i've done a few sti's recently that have made over 500 on stock motors... and 440 on pump...

Mark
Turbotrix
Old May 25, 2005, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think its not ajust bout the 4G63 VS EJ25. its more on the technology of inline 4 engines VS flat 4 boxer engines. there's only Porche and Subaru making the boxer engine. while there are so much more R&D being done on the inline engines by every other manufactures.
Old May 25, 2005, 05:40 AM

I just wish they would figure out that intercoolers go in the front of the car.
Old May 25, 2005, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

i think eventually they will but the evo will still be on top.
Old May 25, 2005, 10:36 AM

I personally think the Subie (statistically speaking) probably attracts a less "mod happy" demographic as well. I know several middle aged, professionals who have the STI just because they like Subies and it is the top dog in the subie world.
Old May 25, 2005, 10:44 AM
Account Disabled

IMHO .. i think the sti guys took a while to come around to modding their cars.. Now that people are doing turbo's ( GT35's ect ) they are making the same power on pump gas as we are. With more torque... Yes the drivetrain isnt as good, yes you need to spend more to achieve the power as the evo, but i've done a few sti's recently that have made over 500 on stock motors... and 440 on pump...

Hey Mark, how is the STI drivetrain worse then the Evo? I thought ours was far worse?

Anyway teh EJ25 is it?, isn't as strong and it is also larger so it won't have teh Rev range we do to make the WHP. I mean you are in gear longer so even if you had identical WHP numbers, you would be in gear longer and making power longer.
Old May 25, 2005, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binsquared
I honestly dont think it has anything to do with the EJ25 being new... I think it has to do with the 4g63 being so much better engineered and built...

just my .02
If you don't think age has anything to do with it, then why aren't we running the smae exact 4g63 motor that was developed 40 years ago

Quick Reply: Will the STI ever catch up?