Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will the STI ever catch up?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2005, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the sti should stay in the rear view mirror where they belong
Old May 25, 2005, 03:37 PM

sti will have time to catch up... 06 evos with the mivec will be less mod friendly at first also.
Old May 27, 2005, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bolsen
If you don't think age has anything to do with it, then why aren't we running the smae exact 4g63 motor that was developed 40 years ago
i thoughy we were?...hahahaha

Can someone tell me what advantages there are for a Top mount IC?...Heat rises, hello?
Old May 27, 2005, 11:08 PM

I think eventually it will all be equal. The 2.5L motor will be in the regular WRX in a "detuned" fashion for 2006, it's in the Legacy GT and the Forester XT. The market is getting bigger. The 4G63 has a huge head start so it's no wonder there is more stuff for the EVO/DSM market.
Old May 29, 2005, 09:30 AM

Talking

Best "level headed" thread ever, no hate and that is refreshing to read.
/soapbox

As a former STi owner (sold to get into a house) I am looking to either car again and get the option of possibly picking an EVO this time. Truth be told, I don't think that the STi will "catch up" in terms of power on the ultra high end since anyone will take an iron block over an aluminum (even "semi-closed") but as some people said, if your not going to mod either very far then they will both suit you well.

Having said that, both cars were designed YEARS ago, and initially not meant to compete to this level, hence the "evolution" of the two. I think MItsubishi was more fortunate and their lancer design happened to translate better (for handling) than the STi. So yes I believe they were working with a better platform for handling than Subaru. Also both cars have had to change somewhat to make it to the US market as neither, initially, was considered to be brough over here and sold and that is why the Japanese versions have different items availible that we do not get.

The real question is now what does the future hold? Both manufactures now know they can sell either all around the world, and they both now know that they have a long history to build upon. I think what that means is both of these new chasis will be designed to be sold around the world and more importantly with awd, high hp, and handling carrying much more "weight" in their design process. I think Mitsubishi will of course try to retain their lead, but expect that Subaru's new design (whatever they decide on calling it) will improve on handling MUCH more to compete with the new "Evolution".

A long winded response that simply states, I don't really think this generation of STi's will truly catch up in terms of sheer horsepower wars, but in the next generation, with them knowing what they know now, and building "all new" chassis I think the fight will be MUCH closer than it is currently.

I'm still undecided even in this "generation" as both cars are fun though

Silverbane
An expert at anything was once a beginner...

91T TD06 Powered MR2 250~ rwhp -Sold
2004 Aspen White STi Stock - Sold