Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Unwanted, pricey DIO's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Unwanted, pricey DIO's

My sales person called me yesterday and gave me an update on the Apex Silver Evo I have my deposit on. He said delivery has been pushed back 2 weeks, but that's not anything we haven't discussed on this board 1000 times already.

The bad thing is that he told me they're installing optional accessories (drilled pedals, optional front strut brace, shift knob, etc). Can I tell them to take their dealer installed options and stick them up somewhere really dark?

I want a stock Evo at sticker, not a dealer tuned, overpriced, optioned-out cash cow. I'm getting silver, no sunroof, large spoiler. I expect to pay $28,975, or whatever the base price is. If they install all these options and the Evo ends up being $33,000, then screw it - I'll wait for an STI or take my business elsewhere.

The whole point of tuning is to do the work and make the decisions YOURSELF (as long as the installation isn't something a professional has to do).

I guess that's the way dealers will still sell the EVO at MSRP, but still make their huge profit - fit the car with pricey options and force the customer to take it or leave it.

I hope my dealership is good enough to listen to what I want and we avoid an ugly situation.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Tell them exactly what you want. If they are going to pass on the option charges to you then take back your deposit and go elsewhere. However if they are adding these options with no cost then congrats.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:28 AM

I spoke with my dealer yesterday and he told me that they would not even be able to order the options until mid April. So I dont know how your dealer is going to install them in a car you are getting in March.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

cash cow= low growth and strong competitiveness....thats what college does to you....
Old Feb 20, 2003, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by gbwaacha
cash cow= low growth and strong competitiveness....thats what college does to you....
No, that's what having a degree in Political Science yet working in sales does to you.... Bad You get into bad habits.

Main Entry: cash cow
Function: noun
Date: 1979
: a consistently profitable business, property, or product whose profits are used to finance a company's investments in other areas.

I'm part right. I meant that it's very profitable business for dealers to add options and get a really high margin on those items - items the customer doesn't necessarily want.

Political Science = knowing you're wrong, but proving you're right.

I'll be telling my dealer not to install the options. If they do, then I'll wait for the red Evo they're getting.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

you can prove yourself right all you want buddy... i was just surprised that what bull**** you hear in class comes up in other places...
Old Feb 20, 2003, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

has anybody out there ever purchased a car less some DIOs that were removed before sale? even on regular (read: not potentially low-prod) cars?

i remember when i first went to see the g35 sedan at a local infiniti dealership and they had this $4G tirewheel package on the thing.

expensive and totally ugly? sucks....hah.

-K
Old Feb 20, 2003, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

The salesman thinks he has you by the nuts, and your emotionally charged to the vehicle and your willing to say yes to anything as long as you get the car.

Its a typical autosalesman trick, when I was buying my WRX they tried tacking on those expensive BBS wheels. Plain and simple I Walked.

He figures since he isnt getting a kickback on a dealer markup he might as well make more money off of you by buying overpriced Mitsubishi parts.

Id walk, save up some more money for a downpayment, hey why not cheaper monthly payments and you can get the car after the hype is over for cheaper than what there asking now. (or if your paying cash, build up some intrest in the bank), nothing pisses off the dealership more than giving a bank check for $15,000 then giving the rest of the money in bills under 20's
Old Feb 20, 2003, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

I commented on this before in a couple of threads about selling price.

Unscrupulous dealers will install DIOs and force them on people as a way to boost their profit margin on this car. It will happen.

Much as the example above where dealers buy aftermarket wheel packages and charge three times the price (or more) to increase the margins.

Lets them not sell above MSRP and not get into too much hot water with the manufacturer... but lets them make more money on the sale.

All I can say is that if my dealer tries this, I will walk. Same way I'll walk if they try to pull "above MSRP".

I agree with the points above... build a relationship with your dealer and sales person... let them know exactly what you want. And hope for the best.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 11:25 PM

If you dont get exactly what you ordered, take your deposit and walk away. Dont let them screw you with pure profit options and extras!

www.carbuyingtips.com
Old Feb 21, 2003, 03:01 AM
Evolving Member

i saw 0% apr on (non-sti) wrxes in the swimsuit edition of SI today...

if i'm getting only garbage at mitsu dealers, i'll have to think with my checkbook instead of my heart. (:

-K
Old Feb 21, 2003, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by K)!!y
i saw 0% apr on (non-sti) wrxes in the swimsuit edition of SI today...
There trying to dump all the bug eye'd cars to make room for the new front end cars.