Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

05 clutch install?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2005, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 clutch install?

Who has done it and what is different from the previous evo's. The acd has to play a factor in this install. Im going to be doing this next week and need to know what its going to take. Thanks for your input.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if no answer try posting here = https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/
Old Jun 27, 2005, 06:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by burningmoney97
This is burning money's way of saying, "do a search, rookie".

lol
Old Jun 27, 2005, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Why dont you veterans show me where there is info on clutch install on an 05. Seeings how this rookie apparently doesnt know what he's doing!!!
Old Jun 27, 2005, 07:21 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by whiteevo311
Why dont you veterans show me where there is info on clutch install on an 05. Seeings how this rookie apparently doesnt know what he's doing!!!
booo.

u gonna do it yourself?
Old Jun 27, 2005, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Good luck bro, it's a tough one. An ex mitsu mechanic took six hours. I hope you have lift
Old Jun 29, 2005, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Ive talked to several people and no one knows if there is any difference from the previous models without the acd. My mechanic friend has done two installs and said he never had to bleed anything. and both cars are still running just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Jun 29, 2005, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Why do you need to change the clutch on a 05? how many miles on it ?
Old Jun 29, 2005, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whiteevo311
Ive talked to several people and no one knows if there is any difference from the previous models without the acd. My mechanic friend has done two installs and said he never had to bleed anything. and both cars are still running just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Well, if he's done two 05s already and didn't need the ACD bleeder, then maybe it works ok. It's always possible the Mitsu master tech was throwin me a line...
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

dude......if your gonna do it yourself, buy the maintenance manual. It will save you tons of time , hassle , and money if you just pay for it now and you have all the info at your finger tips for you to play with for as long as you live. By the way the job you want to tackle is not an easy task and you will run into problems without the right tools. and yes you will need a lift , you will need to take off the centermember and transfer case as well as both drive shafts and loosen up the front struts. Also you will need a special tool to help hold your engine in place without putting too much load on your mounts. Me and my 2 friends did it and used up a whole day , and yes you will have to drain coolant anyway. I also suggest while your at it with the overhaul getting new fluids and whatever you want to change on the cooling side (thermostat, coolant, hoses etc..) if you need to anyway.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

the maintenance manual is 225 i believe at the dealer. its a fixed price. you cannot get it anywhere else.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Just had my new ACT put in today on my MR in preparation of the WR turbo. It was done by RRE out here in Cali. Labor was 500 bucks plus 50 to bleed the ACD line. If RRE says you need to bleed the line, then you need bleed the line. We think that the bushings may be softer in the MR, because it seemed like the rear diff moved around a little under acceleration. The springs are shorter on the ACT like the non-MRs. A little bit of chatter from the new clutch, but that's it.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

You do not have to take the center member off.....Loosen the driver and rear motor mount, the engine will fall back, you can brace the engine on the transfer case with a two x four. Yes replace all fluids, Mitsu stock Diaqueen in the transfer case, redline in the tranny for me. While you are down there, throw some underhood bushing in for sharper shifting. $400 was worth every penny. A nightmare of a job, but I learned alot.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Well, if he's done two 05s already and didn't need the ACD bleeder, then maybe it works ok. It's always possible the Mitsu master tech was throwin me a line...

Both cars he did were previous years. One was an 03 and the other was an 04.

Im guessing most of the install is the same but just curious about bleeding the acd and what it takes. Im not gonna spend hundreds of dollars on a manual. Does it take a special tool or am I gonna be able to do it myself? im guessing It doesnt take anything special. Im pretty sure we can do it. Its a very reputable performance shop here in Boise called Idaho speed center. Badass cars pass in and out there everyday. luckily Im friends with all the guys there and we have been racing together for years, so they are gonna help me with the install. Just curious if anyone had any advice for me and things to look for. Thanks for everyone who posted.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDM-Spec.com
Why do you need to change the clutch on a 05? how many miles on it ?
It slips a little on the launch, and Im installing a boost controller also. Hoping the two will help me get into the 11s. exhaust, safc, clutch and mbc, 11s would be insane. I dont think its been done with so few mods.

Quick Reply: 05 clutch install?