Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Intake?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2005, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake?

When you have an aftermarket intake on the Evo, does it make a difference if you leave the air scoop on or off?
Old Jul 2, 2005, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

This is a good question... By "air scoop" you mean the stock one right? Not the aftermarket hood vent scoop. I elected to leave mine on with my HKS RS but I really don't think it makes a difference. A little more cool air can't hurt.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

The difference is negligable. It's really just personal preference.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

No, it really doesn't matter. That is there to isolate hot engine air from entering the intake air. That and the air box create a tight seal to achieve this.

Aftermarket intakes are a bad idea for turbo engines. Notice on cool and hot days the difference of how your engine performs and reacts. I can really tell the diff were I live. Cooler air into the intake makes my car react so much better (say 70 out) instead of hot days (say 90 out).

If you're wanting to upgrade your intake, I would suggest a K&N drop in filter. Keep the stock air box. Although the stock box may not look as good as a cone filter or what not, it's best for your engine. BTW most cone filters except K&N (and there's another one, I can't remember) do not filter out the dust, etc. good enough (hardly at all).

I put a K&N Typhoon on mine, spent 210 bucks and it killed the power in my car. It was letting too much air in and let the hot engine air right in. There was a huge turbo lag after I put it on. I had to build a custom airbox to isolate the hot from cold and to retard some of the air entering the intake. After this build, all my intake probs went away.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fa$[- a$ $hi[-
Aftermarket intakes are a bad idea for turbo engines. .
i like aftermarket intakes
Old Jul 2, 2005, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

well if u have a radiator shroud and u take the air scoop off theres a huge hole underneath. point is leave it on it only helps!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 05:24 PM

leave it on

cold/fresh air is good
Old Jul 11, 2005, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fa$[- a$ $hi[-
No, it really doesn't matter. That is there to isolate hot engine air from entering the intake air. That and the air box create a tight seal to achieve this.

Aftermarket intakes are a bad idea for turbo engines. Notice on cool and hot days the difference of how your engine performs and reacts. I can really tell the diff were I live. Cooler air into the intake makes my car react so much better (say 70 out) instead of hot days (say 90 out).

If you're wanting to upgrade your intake, I would suggest a K&N drop in filter. Keep the stock air box. Although the stock box may not look as good as a cone filter or what not, it's best for your engine. BTW most cone filters except K&N (and there's another one, I can't remember) do not filter out the dust, etc. good enough (hardly at all).

I put a K&N Typhoon on mine, spent 210 bucks and it killed the power in my car. It was letting too much air in and let the hot engine air right in. There was a huge turbo lag after I put it on. I had to build a custom airbox to isolate the hot from cold and to retard some of the air entering the intake. After this build, all my intake probs went away.
I highly doubt your problems were related to letting in hot air inside the intake. If you think about it, more air vs. cold air pretty much have the same benefits to a certain extent. You're not the first person to have bad experiences with the K'N Typhoon.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Doesn't matter if it's Cold or Hot, the intercooler should be doing it's job...
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
intake = https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=147111
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:13 PM

where air scoop
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:44 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i like the stock box but I wish someone would make a box that's bigger than the stock and lighter.

and yes, you need that air scoop to get some colder air in, instead of getting hot air straight from the engine.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by unowned
Doesn't matter if it's Cold or Hot, the intercooler should be doing it's job...
True, kind of. If the air entering the turbo is cooler it will be denser, meaning the turbo doesn't have to 'work as hard' to make the same boost, which increases it's efficieny. Therefore, it does make a difference. This is why boost goes up 1-2psi during the winter with the boost controller on the same setting.