Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

744 AWD whp !

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:33 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasil
There are many engines that can push a max of around 500whp per liter. The 1.8, 1.6, 2.3 Honda engines have done it on methanol, 4g63's have done it too on methanol, Supra 2JZ's have done it with methanol and 1 without methanol. Ford 4.6 DOHC have come close pushing 2100rwhp in a 101MM Turbo powered drag car. Rotaries have put down 700whp per liter on methanol. I'm sure there are more out there.

The whole point is even though many people want to believe that one engine is better than the other etc etc. In the end there are many engines that can push these extreme numbers while running extreme boost. 740AWHP is freaking awesome by the way.

What boost was this at?
when did I say other 4 banger can't do that? who said one engine was better than the other?

Considering this thread is about a 4g63 engine that Al's got in his car, i've just made a quick reference to a power making machine that has been proven to make a lot of power from a slightly bigger engine.

It's not a honda or ford forum, it's mitsubishi forum, if you haven't noticed it yet.

sure, you could make a ton of power on a 1 liter engine as well, but that's not the topic at hand, now is it?

stfi
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Martin - good points. I think the best way to resolve this is I will send you my data logs from the track from before and now aftter this weekend (assuming it does not blow up at the race) and we can compare the data.

This test of the intercoolers was done at a lower level of tune - less timing and richer that is why the power was down. The last thing I want to do is blow up my car testing parts.

Also - I had some fairly junky fmic pipes which are banged up and crushed and less than 2.0" so that may explain some of my pressure drop - and the possibility of boost leaks

Now I have new Buschur 3" pipes which may help this weekend also
I would really appreciate if Dave Buschur supports this claim on such a big increase in hp for an intercooler change because I AM about to purchase one immediately from him. I believe in Buschur's products and also believe Al has his credibility here but an honest opinion is needed and if it works why not but if its not gonna do it, I don't wanna do it. The car has made 615 WHP on SAE correction and not STD correction. ON the other hand AMS has their point too, 667 WHP was made on the GT35R on their intercooler so whats the point then???
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Go with Nisei Engineering. Hands down www.niseiengineering.com
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Any results against the BR Intercooler?

Also - is the piping you are making aluminum or SS. (please say aluminum and 2.5inch)

BR numbers have been tested and will be released soon. What we noticed was that the BR intercooler uses a more dense fin configuration (18 fins per inch vs the nisei 12 fpi). If no one has overheating problems with the buschur, then for sure they wont with the Nisei. We did notice the buschur intercooler is actually an intercooler instead of a heat sink (like most the other FMIC's we've tested and seen). It's pretty well designed, but not up to the quality of the Nisei. The buschur uses end tanks fabbed out of sheet metal while the Nisei has fully cast end-tanks specifically for the Evo. They are not off the shelf like 99% of all the other intercoolers out there. The Buschur has an internal split fin, which we honestly werent expecting. But we still managed to cool more effectively than the buchur though, but not by much. I'll try to post the exact numbers tonight.

But the Buschur intercooler definately has a flow limit though, as we were already getting a small pressure drop with the stock turbo. With a large turbo more would defiantely be expected. What we did notice is that we had to turn down the boost for the nisei intercooler because we would hit fuel (overboost) cut. This confirmed even more than that nisei intercooler isnt affected by a pressure drop and flows whatever the turbo feeds it without any flow restriction. With the buchur we had to turn up the HKS EVC a couple clicks from our nisei setting in order to hit fuel cut.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 04:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TomeiEvo
I would really appreciate if Dave Buschur supports this claim on such a big increase in hp for an intercooler change because I AM about to purchase one immediately from him. I believe in Buschur's products and also believe Al has his credibility here but an honest opinion is needed and if it works why not but if its not gonna do it, I don't wanna do it. The car has made 615 WHP on SAE correction and not STD correction. ON the other hand AMS has their point too, 667 WHP was made on the GT35R on their intercooler so whats the point then???

What were the weather conditions like when these tests were done. I don't know about everybody else but its hot and humid as **** here in Ohio right now. Perhaps, when he made the 667whp (early springtime I think?), it was 50 degrees outside that day?

Perhaps the core is right at its limit. When the ambient temps are significantly lower outside, the problem wouldn't magnified nearly as much as when its 95+ and 100% humidity like it is now.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by plokivos
when did I say other 4 banger can't do that? who said one engine was better than the other?

Considering this thread is about a 4g63 engine that Al's got in his car, i've just made a quick reference to a power making machine that has been proven to make a lot of power from a slightly bigger engine.

It's not a honda or ford forum, it's mitsubishi forum, if you haven't noticed it yet.

sure, you could make a ton of power on a 1 liter engine as well, but that's not the topic at hand, now is it?

stfi
Just making sure you are informed. Your "Supra" comment made it seem as if you thought only 4g63's could make 700whp that's all. No harm no foul.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 05:58 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TomeiEvo
Remember - the 667 whp was NOT made on a 95 degree day - and it was made with the express intention of maxing out the most possible whp no matter what the results

The most recent testing was made using a map set up for a 35 shot of NOS - WITHOUT the nos - so the car was retarded timing and pig rich - for me this was ideal for dyno testing as I wanted to keep the tune conservative as I did not know the effects the fmic change would have on the tune.

When you have a very powerful car you dont have it at the highest state of tune at all times - for example when you are merely testing parts.\

I personally think the best way to test the effectiveness of the new fmic is this weekend at the track. The ONLY change I have made on the car is the new FMIC, a TIAL BOV and New BuschurFMIC pipes. The results will speak for themselves!
Old Jul 20, 2005, 06:00 AM
Account Disabled

Also - Mr. Curt Brown is currently usuing the same fmic I had with his Gt35R turbo - he has posted that his intake charges are very hot. W ewill see if he changes his fmic also to a larger core and what results that has on his times thus far.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 06:06 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mike 99gsx
What were the weather conditions like when these tests were done. I don't know about everybody else but its hot and humid as **** here in Ohio right now. Perhaps, when he made the 667whp (early springtime I think?), it was 50 degrees outside that day?

Perhaps the core is right at its limit. When the ambient temps are significantly lower outside, the problem wouldn't magnified nearly as much as when its 95+ and 100% humidity like it is now.
Yes of course it was nasty conditions on the dyno for the past week.

667 was my previous BEST possible power figure
Now my best possible power figure is 744 - that is a significant increase and ALL the parts of the power system must be working perfectly in order to supoort that kind of power

Previously my AIT was reaching 180 degrees which is totally unaccptable and showed a undersized fmic
Old Jul 20, 2005, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys for your support - come Saturday I am going to unleash a giant can of silver bullet Whoop *** ! I am either going to blow it up or make some real fast times - I am in that kind of mood.
Damn AL, you are sounding like Buschur here "Drive it like ya Stole it" . Good luck man .
Old Jul 20, 2005, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Yes good luck!!!! What other notable evos are planning on racing this weekend?
Old Jul 20, 2005, 08:33 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Remember - the 667 whp was NOT made on a 95 degree day - and it was made with the express intention of maxing out the most possible whp no matter what the results
But only running 35psi of boost at that 667whp SAE, not 38-40psi like you ran in the test recently at 618whp STD.

The most recent testing was made using a map set up for a 35 shot of NOS - WITHOUT the nos - so the car was retarded timing and pig rich - for me this was ideal for dyno testing as I wanted to keep the tune conservative as I did not know the effects the fmic change would have on the tune.
Why would you arm the nitrous if you don't have a bottle in the car? Did you arm the nitrous for both runs or just my intercooler? A simple torque and A/F readings on the dyno graphs would have made things easier.

I personally think the best way to test the effectiveness of the new fmic is this weekend at the track. The ONLY change I have made on the car is the new FMIC, a TIAL BOV and New BuschurFMIC pipes. The results will speak for themselves!
You forgot to mention the fact that you changed the crushed and bent intercooler tubes that necked down to less than 2" and "maybe" had boost leaks...

If you are going to do a test comparing one product to another...please for the love of God make sure everything is the same and the running conditions are the same!! Don't run one with bent piping and 'maybe' a boost leak, then change the piping and intercooler and say you made XXX more power.

Having said that, the AMS intercooler core has been tested and proven to 600whp with minimal pressure drops and has put cars into the 9's and low 10's. If you are trying to make 700whp+ and very high boost, then we have a new intercooler that we have tested on our car and we will be introducing very shortly.

-Martin
Old Jul 20, 2005, 08:39 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mike 99gsx

The dyno is inside, I doubt that it was 50 degrees inside the shop. But the weather conditions should be recorded on each run so maybe Al can check and back with us. Anyways, 40 degrees hotter will not make a car lose 70+whp, especially when it's running a larger, more efficient turbo and 3-5psi more boost.
I can run a car on a 60deg day and a 90deg day on the dynojet and the SAE corrected horspower will be almost identical.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AMS
But only running 35psi of boost at that 667whp SAE, not 38-40psi like you ran in the test recently at 618whp STD.

Why would you arm the nitrous if you don't have a bottle in the car? Did you arm the nitrous for both runs or just my intercooler? A simple torque and A/F readings on the dyno graphs would have made things easier.

You forgot to mention the fact that you changed the crushed and bent intercooler tubes that necked down to less than 2" and "maybe" had boost leaks...

If you are going to do a test comparing one product to another...please for the love of God make sure everything is the same and the running conditions are the same!! Don't run one with bent piping and 'maybe' a boost leak, then change the piping and intercooler and say you made XXX more power.

Having said that, the AMS intercooler core has been tested and proven to 600whp with minimal pressure drops and has put cars into the 9's and low 10's. If you are trying to make 700whp+ and very high boost, then we have a new intercooler that we have tested on our car and we will be introducing very shortly.

-Martin
The dyno runs were made with the same IC pipes and any boost leaks that were there before..... now for the runs at the track he has put the larger intercooler pipe in place.

Has Al provided the data logs he offered? I would like to see your view on his data logs.

Keith
Old Jul 20, 2005, 08:59 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
The dyno runs were made with the same IC pipes and any boost leaks that were there before..... now for the runs at the track he has put the larger intercooler pipe in place.

Has Al provided the data logs he offered? I would like to see your view on his data logs.

Keith

Where you there for the test?
If he used the same piping then the inlet and outlet of the bigger race Buschur must be the same as our intercooler core. If you changed cores then you must have removed the couplers and or/piping. If Al is not sure if there was a boost leak then he did not do a boost leak test...therefore you can't say if there was a leak on both of the cores, even if there was a leak at all. That's my point...there should have been a boost leak test anytime the IC or piping is touched, especially when you are doing a comparison test.....

Quick Reply: 744 AWD whp !