Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Gas Saving Tips

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2005, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattfl
I'm sure we're all starting to feel the strain of gas prices sky rocketing. In the past 4 days here in daytona gas has gone up almost 30 cents across the city. I've seen it as high as $3.00/gallon for 93 and as low as $2.75/gallon for 93. I have a 20 mile round trip drive to/from work and I've been getting around 200-225 miles out of my tank. Filling up for around $30 every week is going to start hurting alot more once gas hits $3.00 everywhere and I'm sure within the next week it will. So what are some of your gas conserving tips for the evo? I don't drive the car very hard, get on it only once in a while and just changed my oil this past weekend. Mods on the car are only hks intake/bov/boost controller set just a little at/above stock settings. Wondering what some of you guys do to conserve fuel.
Drive downhill... everywhere.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

short shift at 2500-2800 rpm and skip shift 2nd to 4th in town from light to light or slow traffic, you need to ease 2nd gear to 3000 rpm before you shift to 4th but it works smoothly. this is the GM trick on all the f body cars to meet mileage requirements and avoid gas guzzler tax. seems that if you shift 2800-3000( stay off boost) your in a better torque range and less lug on the car with better mileage, if you shift to soon you will lug the car and hurt gas mileage. last scientific article on this topic seemed to suggest a car under about 30% load got the best fuel mileage. dont use the brakes as much as possible coast when you can up to the stop. your brakes are the main reason your gas mileage goes down. cams didnt help my mileage but i am still tuning. i not sure how anyone can say cams help mileage. the more air you use the more gas you will need to make power and hence worse gas mileage. analogy race cars with cams never get good mileage , your cheap toyota 4 banger with 90hp gets great mileage. sorry guys just physics, you will always be able to tune the car with stock cam for better mileage than high profile long duration performance cams.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TEXSRT4
i too improved mileage with my cams, though its a differnt car...dont use your ac! extra drag on the motor uses up more power meaning more gas is needed.
Driving with no a/c here in daytona is a death wish. 95 degree weather + humidity and I'd be soaken wet with sweat by the time i get to work. A/C is a must there's no way around that.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo743
Drive downhill... everywhere.
You've never been to florida have you?
Old Aug 16, 2005, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mksevo
short shift at 2500-2800 rpm and skip shift 2nd to 4th in town from light to light or slow traffic, you need to ease 2nd gear to 3000 rpm before you shift to 4th but it works smoothly. this is the GM trick on all the f body cars to meet mileage requirements and avoid gas guzzler tax. seems that if you shift 2800-3000( stay off boost) your in a better torque range and less lug on the car with better mileage, if you shift to soon you will lug the car and hurt gas mileage. last scientific article on this topic seemed to suggest a car under about 30% load got the best fuel mileage. dont use the brakes as much as possible coast when you can up to the stop. your brakes are the main reason your gas mileage goes down. cams didnt help my mileage but i am still tuning. i not sure how anyone can say cams help mileage. the more air you use the more gas you will need to make power and hence worse gas mileage. analogy race cars with cams never get good mileage , your cheap toyota 4 banger with 90hp gets great mileage. sorry guys just physics, you will always be able to tune the car with stock cam for better mileage than high profile long duration performance cams.
only problem with that, is they're tuning.

everyone knows the evo is pig rich stock. So whether you tune with cams, or tune without them, you're helping the situation. in performance, and mileage.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MANGOOK
With my cams and my dyno of 334AWHP I just got on my last tank of gas 26.3MPG. I drove the car very easy, not really getting into boost and it really helped my gas mileage. Even under the Florida Heat I still got decent gas mileage.

How in the world did you get that good of gas milage????? The best i can ever really get is 22mpg
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Remove the rear Wing!
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

damn wheres all that oil we're stealing from iraq going? i might have to put a meter in my car and charge my friends when i give them rides now
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Just take it easy. It's all in how you drive. I usually average 300+ miles per tank modded (my record is 342 before the gas light came on). My friend who has similair mod always complains about poor mileage since he bought it new and didn't believe me until he saw how conservatively I drive.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Shift before 3K. Get a more free flowing exhaust.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

my car is misfiring right now...could that be hurting my gas mileage? it takes about 1/2 tank to get from LA to sandiego...is that normal?
Old Aug 16, 2005, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

go get a diesel
Old Aug 16, 2005, 04:55 PM
Former Vendor

dont go above zero psi, or you could dump 5000 into the motor, stand-alone, intake and exhaust, and you will get 30 mpg like me.. not much of a car at top end, but tons of power in the low to mid-range..
Old Aug 16, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
the turbo lag on that model is a real b1tch.

strike
Old Aug 18, 2005, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by strikethree
the turbo lag on that model is a real b1tch.

strike
good one.

Quick Reply: Gas Saving Tips