Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP! how can you tell you have an AFtermarket clutch!?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! how can you tell you have an AFtermarket clutch!?

Is it possible to tell if theres an aftermarket clutch installed in a car? I need my transfercase fixed but they wont cover it if they find an aftermarket clutch in my car...my car has had 2 previous owners before me, so i have no idea what theyve done to it... if it turns out it does have a aftermarket clutch in there, then my warranty is voided and i will need to pay 1500 just for the labor in checking for the clutch...then i need to cough up another 2 gs for the transfercase...is there anyone in San Diego that can drive my car and see if theres an Aftermarket clutch? pls...my car is dying and
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Take off the inspection cover, if the PP housing is painted yellow(ACT) or another color, it's prolly aftermarket.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Knyght
Take off the inspection cover, if the PP housing is painted yellow(ACT) or another color, it's prolly aftermarket.
where is the inspection cover?
pics? what color is stock?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Get under the car and there is a black rubber cap on the bottom of the bell housing. Pull it out and get a flashlight and look up into the bell housing to see.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

will i need a jack? what side of the car should i be? what color should it be if its stock? is this a sure way to check for this?

Last edited by evo racing; Sep 12, 2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Stock is not colored.. so if it has any other color than greyish/black it's prolly aftermarket, ie purple for exede, yellow for ACT, blah blah
Old Sep 12, 2005, 01:04 PM

You could probably squeeze under there w/o a jack if you are skinny enough but it would be a lot easier to jack the car up. Oh, and this is about the best way to tell what kind of clutch kit is in there outside of pulling the tranny out.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

wheres the best jack point in the front of the car? and is this the small round rubber cap?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

ok i went under and saw the clutch type thing and the circle around it was the same color as the transmission itself...is this good news?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

are there any aftermarket clutches that are the same color as stock? i just searched and the exedy clutches are silver like stock

Last edited by evo racing; Sep 12, 2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

The RRE no name clutch looks similar to stock. How many miles are on your Evo? Did they tell you they won't cover it if there is an aftermarket clutch?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

my evo has 22,000 miles on it...i got it when it was 18,000...they wont cover it if its aftermarket and i have to pay for the $1500 labor to check it...
Old Sep 12, 2005, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

i tried launching the car at 4000-4300 one time and slipped it and it just revved all the way to redline...wouldnt an aftermarket clutch just immeadietly grab?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo racing
Is it possible to tell if theres an aftermarket clutch installed in a car? I need my transfercase fixed but they wont cover it if they find an aftermarket clutch in my car...my car has had 2 previous owners before me, so i have no idea what theyve done to it... if it turns out it does have a aftermarket clutch in there, then my warranty is voided and i will need to pay 1500 just for the labor in checking for the clutch...then i need to cough up another 2 gs for the transfercase...is there anyone in San Diego that can drive my car and see if theres an Aftermarket clutch? pls...my car is dying and
Where did buy your car? dealer? If it's from the dealer you don't have anything to worry about it cuz it's their fault for not disclosing it to you. How long have you had the car? What does the clutch have to do with the transfer case anyways? sounds like b.s. to mem the dealership
Old Sep 12, 2005, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by speedracer2169
Where did buy your car? dealer? If it's from the dealer you don't have anything to worry about it cuz it's their fault for not disclosing it to you. How long have you had the car? What does the clutch have to do with the transfer case anyways? sounds like b.s. to mem the dealership
i bought the car from a private seller, and now i cant contact him anymore... iv only had the car for 1 1/2 months...

Quick Reply: HELP! how can you tell you have an AFtermarket clutch!?