Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

mitsu will bump the h.p. to 310 hp

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ack! don't say that. My stomach is already doing an olympic gymnastics routine from the announcement of the GTA. I don't want to think of anything but the GSR and RS coming over...
Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:39 AM

You know they have been toying around with the Evo idea for alot longer then people think, and these people still like keeping other mistsu people in the dark untill the cars are on the trucks!
Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:45 AM

our dealer really has nothing for info as far as the options go. Im just telling you guys what i find out at work as i find out stuff so if the big wigs are bull****ting us then thats mitsubishi for you!
Old Jan 29, 2002, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

just 10 bhp more than the 300bhp (unofficial) power output for stock Evos!! I wouldn't be too excited!!
Old Jan 29, 2002, 10:44 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Thanks for the updates meanrick69. Please continue to keep us in the loop.
Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

the performance is good enough the way it is. i hope they dont bump up the horse power and send insurance rates skyrocketing even higher.
Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, just bring the damn thing voer and let us bump the boost!!!

Woohoo 5 dollar MBC's for everyone!!!!

Nick
Old Jan 30, 2002, 02:02 AM

I think what would be interesting if the hp is really increased to 300+ would be what Subaru is gonna do with the STi WRX! I'm dame sure they will do a little bumping themselves!! And that would put 2 of the best rallycars ever made in US soils!! VERY INTERESTING!!
Old Jan 30, 2002, 02:03 AM

TRUE THAT!

Originally posted by docious
the performance is good enough the way it is. i hope they dont bump up the horse power and send insurance rates skyrocketing even higher.
As good as 300=hp might sound I would have to agree with u about the insurance....it'll sky-rocket!
Old Jan 30, 2002, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by Evoandy

Thats probably the best way to look at it. I don't think mitsu is going to get 300+ hp out of the engine after redoing the fuel system to work on US gas. I think they are just going to get it to pass US emissions and crash tests, then send it. It doesn't make sense that they would do more than that, and screwing with the engine internals isn't really going to help anything regarding that. The only change I can see them making is replacing the current FMIC with one from an older evo, so they have slightly more room for bumper reinforcement. Mitsubishi has pretty smart business practices, so I don't think they would be stupid enough to dump millions of dollars into R&D to re-engineer the 4g63 which is probably the biggest asset to their company as of right now...
Some 280ps cars in Japan are under-rated at 280ps. I won't be surprised if the EVO VII in Japan actually makes 300 or more ps.

About the fuel system, I don't think they'd have to re-do it for our lower octane fuel. If anything, they would use a less aggressive ignition timing curve or reduce the maximum boost pressure. They would have to redo it only if they increase airflow(higher boost) here, and that's highly unlikely.
Old Jan 30, 2002, 08:00 AM

The Sti in the UK has less power because of gas, and they have higher octane there.. why would the Lancer be any diffrent?
Old Jan 30, 2002, 10:51 AM

Uh, hi, everyone... I'm new here. Well, so much for introductions.

Don't know much about the Evo; I'm just an admirer from afar. But might this 300hp thing have anything to do with the fact that the Evo already makes more than 276hp?

There's no "gentlemen's agreement" as in Japan, so there's no reason to pretend that it has less power than it really does. Kind of like the Camaro SS. It supposedly makes, what, 325 hp? BS. GM just doesn't want Vette owners to think that a car that costs about half of what they paid can make the same power. My friend has a 99 SS and we've dynoed it at 300 at the wheels, which probably means that it's making closer to 340-350 at the flywheel.

In otherwords, this probably would involve zero RandD... more of a marketing decision.
Old Jan 30, 2002, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

actually i doubt the insurance would sky rocket. My brothers eclipse gsx is in the same category as a corvette when it comes to insurance. Sooooooooo makes you wonder.
Old Jan 30, 2002, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Not to sound rude but you guys that think the evo makes 320 hp stock need to look in the links section and go do some research on the lacerregister.com. Look at the rolling road charts (dyno graphs) and you will see that they really do make about 280 hp stock and thats it. As far as raising the stock hp I would like to believe that but I just don't see it happening. If you were them would you rather warrenty a 260 hp car or a car pushing 310 hp.
Old Jan 31, 2002, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by blackevoVII
actually i doubt the insurance would sky rocket. My brothers eclipse gsx is in the same category as a corvette when it comes to insurance. Sooooooooo makes you wonder.
My dad found that it's actually cheaper to insure a Corvette Z06 then his 01' Mustang GT. So go figure...

Quick Reply: mitsu will bump the h.p. to 310 hp