Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo production

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo production

I don't know why I just now thought about this, but since the yearly production for evos has always been about 15k (Am I right about that? I dunno) What is Mitsubishi going to do in order to deal with demand for the car in the US? Aren't they going to have to drastically increase production of the car? wouldn't they already have to have started productoin of us spec evos to have them ready in time?
Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:47 AM

from what i here the first alocation of u.s. evo's are already done being built, but like i said they are holding off to bump up the h.p.
Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

so, are you saying that the people that put down deposits to get the first shipment of evos are going to get totally screwed over with a car that has less hp than the cars that come in on subsequent shipments?
Old Jan 29, 2002, 12:01 PM

That i couldnt tell you, our distrect mgr told us that they have them ready to bring. I know that the h.p. is been the biggest thing holding them back from getting it over here. Im sure they want to do this right the first time around. As far as the cylinder issue we are kinda in the dark but they will not sell two different h.p. evo's from the start.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

I think you may be overestimating the demand for the Evo just a little bit. Granted the introduction of a WRX has increased anticipation for the Evo and similar style cars, I don't think there should be too much problem finding an Evo.

I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I haven't heard of anyone complaining about finding a WRX to buy, and Subaru was only suppsed to make like 15,000 of them this year.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 03:09 AM

I don't see a problem in getting an EVO. How many people are willing the shell around $30k for the evo.
Subaru have enough trouble selling the WRX at $24k.
Then dealer ship around here has Four or five WRX sitting on the lot. You can get one at a very steap discount.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 03:11 AM
Evolving Member

hahah iodine! thats good........i think u are right...that made me feel a little bit better cuz i was gettin pretty worried demand would be so high so dealers will jack up the price....they probly still will...but im willing to pay a little over msrp
Old Feb 1, 2002, 03:51 AM
Evolved Member

Re: evo production

Originally posted by Evoandy
I don't know why I just now thought about this, but since the yearly production for evos has always been about 15k (Am I right about that? I dunno)
Well as far as I know, the production number of each EVO have never been over 10K units (the most is the VII @ 10K units worldwide). There were 2,500 units of EVO I sold, then from EVO II to EVO VI, each generation has 5,000 to 6,000 units worldwide.

Old Feb 1, 2002, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by ososlow
Subaru have enough trouble selling the WRX at $24k.
Then dealer ship around here has Four or five WRX sitting on the lot. You can get one at a very steap discount.
Um, I don't think you understand what's going on with the WRX. Subaru projected 2002 MY sales of 10,000 units. The have retailed 13000 with 5 months to go in the model year. Because the WRX shares alot of its components with lesser Imprezas, it is relatively easy for Subaru to increase production to meet demand which looks to be over 20,000 units by the end of the first model year. Subaru will make sure there are enough cars on the lots to match that demand. To be fair ,the first "model year" lasted about 16 months since they started arriving at dealershisp about 4 months before the traditional model-year change. So they are selling about 1250 a month

If the EVO is a bit more performance for a bit more money we can assume demand will be similar. But it shares less with the standard Lancer than the WRX does with the Iprezza. Mitsu can't shift production of regular lancers to EVOs like Suby can with the WRX. They can only build so many. I've read lots of different figures, the highest (coming from Mitsubishi) citing maximum U.S. market for the car of 7500 per year or just 625 per month; thats half the current demand for the WRX. And if the available cars for the US is 2000 like some people believe, that will be only 3 or 4 per dealer per year. (Of course big dealers will get more and small dealers may only get 1 per year). Demand will be much higher than supply at MSRP. So prices will go up above MSRP to the point where only 2000 people are willing to pay the price to have the car.

I think we'll see 5000. Maybe thats part of the hold-up; the drastic expansion of production capacity can't be easy for Mitsu.

Last edited by gary g p; Feb 1, 2002 at 06:12 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

I think the demand for the evo will be quite high, at least at first. Its become almost a legand over here because of its perforance and because of the fact that we can't have it. On the other hand, there are going to be a lot of people like me who won't be able to afford one quite yet and will have to waite a half year or year to get one anyways. I think when they come out I'm going to be stalking my dealer just to look at them.
Old Feb 4, 2002, 09:23 AM

the demand in indy is really high...there are already four deposits at the biggest dealer in the city...fortunately i have the 2nd one.
Old Feb 4, 2002, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

I think some of you need to go and check out the old i-club forums. There was this same speculation about the prices of the WRX being over MSRP. And while there were some dealers that tried to take the perspective buyers for MSRP or over MSRP, there were plenty more that came in at 40-600 over invoice! I think with the advent of the internet and with great forums like this one, knowledgable buyers stand a MUCH better chance at getting our cars for a very fair price.

Nick
Old Feb 4, 2002, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, but even optimistic projections of the EVO production aren't anywhere near the WRXs.

By the way, what are the latest rumors? Seems like I've heard 2000 and 5000. I personally hope it's a low number.