Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Finally found a dealer to agree to MSRP, and...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2002, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally found a dealer to agree to MSRP, and...

She said she's going to a training meeting sometime later this month. First I've heard of this. Anybody else heard about the EVO training for dealers? She also said it looks like the EVO's coming later this year, not 2003. One more voice saying this year!

Very good day.
Old Feb 2, 2002, 06:53 AM

If she's in Oregon, I might be tempted to fly up there to get one from her at MSRP too! Just talked to the sales manager at Negherbon here in Oakland, who said that they will be marking up $5K or more!
Old Feb 2, 2002, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry, it's a ways up in Washington state. But there's someone on here from Southern California that has a dealer that agreed to MSRP (or maybe lower, I forget). I'm willing to bet you could find a deal in So. Cal. and it'd be closer. I think. Heck, have you harrassed all the dealers in the aby area yet? Gotta believe there's at least one...
Old Feb 2, 2002, 08:38 AM

Haven't hit all of them yet... Negherbon said that they were only allocated 6 for the entire year?

But think about it... Buy the thing in Washington, fly in and drive it back, and it's broken in!! Pick it up on Friday, AutoX on Sunday!
Old Feb 2, 2002, 12:16 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

So danc, are you buying the Evo or the STi?
Old Feb 2, 2002, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Don't know yet. I'm just so damn happy at the prospect of being able to choose between the two later this year/early next.

And, well, the truth is, they HAVEN'T announced the STi yet.

So until Subaru gets off their butt and announces something, I'm going to assume it's an EVO for me. But I honestly think they will announce it before the EVO comes, so then I will know the specs of each and make an informed decision.

Am 1st on waiting lists for the EVO and the STi, both for MSRP. No need to choose yet, and I'm definitely still on the fence. But at least now I can sleep peacefully knowing I will be able to choose.

I actually waffle back and forth, so it will probably depend on final specs, and where I'm at at that moment.

Biggest pros for the STi: Subaru reliability, boxer engine, no "electronic aids", six spd
Biggest con for the STi: Will be dead below 4k RPM - sucky for around town, not as on the edge as the EVO handling-wise

Biggest pros for the EVO: Extreme handling, mid-range power
Biggest cons for the EVO: Mitsubishi reliability (an oxymoron), only a 5 spd, I4 instead of boxer

How about you?
Old Feb 2, 2002, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Congratz on findin an MSRP dealer....make sure you give all of the info as to the name of the dealer, who you talked to, Contact info, etc..... to Mark so that he can make his list bigger

Me....I'm buyin the Evo...The STI just doesn't compare fer me.

I'm sure it's a great car, but I've seen way too many race videos with STI in the back of the pack. I like the reliability and the boxer engine, but that's not nearly enough fer me to look away from it's hideous (in my opinion) front end.

It's also a matter of customer service fer me. I'm 20 so I don't normally expect much. I walked into the Mistubishi dealership and I was greated the second I walked in the door and was asked if I had any questions, needed help finding someone, etc. I walked into the Subaru dealership and noone even said one word to me for the whole 20 minutes that I was there hovering over the WRX. I even said "hey, I'm thinkin of puttin a deposit down on an Evo, but I really wanted to see what the WRX has to offer...Is there any way I could may take a test drive?" At this point as a fellow salesman...I would've jumped and said "SURE!!!", but no...I got "No, I don't think we could let you". Now seriously....if I've got a customer who's thinking about going somewhere else to buy I will do damn near ANYTHING to get them to buy a phone from me and not someone else. I was thoroughly impressed with customer service up at Mitsu., and thoroughly disgusted with Subaru's.

Hooby
Old Feb 3, 2002, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Well, Im REALLY stuck in this whole quagmire. I was 100% on board with the EVO seeing as it is coming out earlier and all. Im even selling my current car, and going cold turkey, no car until something comes out. However, being an X RS Turbo owner, I have a sense of loyalty to the Subaru folk. In fact, even if I got the EVO instead of the STi I would most likely continue to hang out with the Socal Subary crowd, albeit, I would be the black sheep of the family. Not to be snooty, but I cant see hanging out with whats seems the majority of the stock lancer owners. I know there are plaenty out there that AutoX and RallyX. But I know more people in the Sube clik that do that nearly EVERY weekend. Hopefully, when the EVO makes it into our hands, that will change. I can envision Subaru vs Mitsu track days. And Subaru vs Mitsu Rally X driving classes!

Nick
Old Feb 3, 2002, 10:48 PM

I'm in the same boat here... I've had my RS for two years now, and attend most AutoX events with several of the other Subaru owners in the area. Over the past 6-9 months though, many of them have moved on to new/other cars, so I don't think it'll make that much of a difference...

Maybe instead of a North vs. South meet, we'll be having Evo vs. STi meets?
Old Feb 3, 2002, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Yea, Cool! I have noticed too, that since the WRX debut, the Subaru clubs have changed a little. They are definately NOT as exclusive as they used to be. Many moer people own a Sube now that they brought the WRX. When it was all RS's it was a rare find to find a Turbo RS. mmmmmmm, the good ol days. I remember it as if it was yesterday. Wait, it pretty much was!

Nick
Old Feb 3, 2002, 11:00 PM

Hey just wanted to checkout the dill on the Evo VII coming to the US. I totalled my lude couple days ago and hopefully that person's insurance company should give me money to be my a new car. So i'm def thinking of getting an Evo VII. I'm wondering anyone else here put down a deposit for the evo already? And have had their dealer agree to MSRP?
Cause in couple days i'm gonna call my mitsu dealer close by me, just need to clear up some insurance stuff.

Ooooh do i love the EVO. My uncle has a Evo III and is importing a 4g63 from Japan to Miami and then to Jamaica. Also my friend is flying down to Miami to talk to some importers on getting an Evo V or VI so Jamaica.
So I definately wanna get one..
We need some more info on what guys are experiencing here with dealers.
Old Feb 4, 2002, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Hooby,

Have to say my experience with Subaru and Mitsubishi dealerships has been the exact opposite of yours, except for the one that will be getting my business. Well, that's not exactly true. I have visited a number of the Subaru dealerships here, and one or two of them were places I would never go back to. But most of them were cool, and all of them as far as I could tell had no problem letting people drive the WRX. The two Portland Mitsubishi dealerships were both big-time slimeballs on the phone. Calling them each a second time to confirm their sliminess, I asked for the Sales Manager. Both of them said the car "will be" priced 3k-5k over. As if they had no control over it. Even though I wold never pay over MSRP, I can respect a different philosophy about pricing than mine, but they weren't even slightly interested in my business, or trying to work something out. They were slimy car salesmen, period. I'm still waiting for the Vancouver sales manager to return my phone call, but I seriously doubt I would go with them even if they said MSRP, 'cause I like the dealership I found further north in Washington. Which by the way I've forwarded on to KK, but I told him to hold off until I sign the P.O. It took me a long time to find a dealership to agree to MSRP, and I don't want to risk anything screwing it up. (Although I admit that's ridiculously paranoid).

I have to admit, as much as I like Subarus and Subaru quality, I'm starting to lean towards the EVO over the STi. This would be my first Mitsubishi. Scared as hell from all the horror stories people tell about their Eclipses having problems.
Old Feb 5, 2002, 04:15 AM

I'm scared to own a mitsu as well.

Ken
Old Feb 5, 2002, 06:51 AM

I'm with you guys when it comes to being worried about the Mitsu on the reliability issues, but I've not found my Subie to be the holy grail of reliability either.

Dave.