Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Looking @ putting a Deposit down? Info.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2002, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Looking @ putting a Deposit down? Info.

All Deposits placed are refundable until you sign a build sheet. After that, the deposits can be considered Non-Refundable (in most states). This doesn't mean the dealer won't refund your deposit after you sign a build sheet (or buyers order, etc), but in most states, they don't have to. Chances are, they will refund it....Good business.

Ready to leave a Deposit now? Hold on. Handing a dealer a deposit does NOTHING but 'maybe' assure you a spot on there list. This is like a Blank Check. You've offered to purchase a car without knowing how much they will charge you for it. They can now 'ask' whatever price they want, and your S.O.L.

Most dealers are starting lists, but WILL NOT accept a Deposit until prices are released. This is the proper time to negotiate price, and leave a deposit. Find a dealer that you FEEL comfortable with. Visit them occasionly if possible. Try and keep updated.

This car is going to be HOT and RARE. SOME dealers WILL sell it for MSRP (or a few of their allotment for MSRP, while marking up the others) . So what's my point? YOU CAN GET MSRP if you look hard enough.

In the end, it is your decision, But I Purchased a 2001 Integra Type-R last year and paid MSRP, even though it was marked up $2500. I also worked a deal to get my dad a 2001 Corvette Z06 for MSRP (it was marked up $7500). I've done it twice before, and plan on doing it again.

Charles
Old Jan 31, 2002, 09:36 AM

Forgot this...

Forgot to add this:

1.If you contact a dealership, ask to speak to a sales manager. The sales person usually is not that informed, and may not be working at that dealership in January. Deal with the man directly.

2.When it comes time to sign a 'buyers order' (spec sheet, build sheet, etc.), remember that NO DEAL is final until the Sales Manager signs off on it. PERIOD. I tryed to sue a dealer after a deal went sour . A salesperson sold us a car for $XX,XXX, and after we had signed, left for the night (car had to be detailed) and returned to pick it up, they told us they couldn't sell the car for that price. I argued and tryed to take them to court (misrepresentation), only to find out that UNTIL the deal is signed by a Sales Manager, IT IS NOT FINAL. (check your state for laws...but always get their sig!)

I've spent years learning to play dealer games. Dealership don't intimidate me at all. I had 1 salesperson nearly in tears one time. My wife's "Rare and hard to find...nobody will sell you one for anything near MSRP" Integra Type-R (which I got for MSRP) took me 3 days (about 16 hours of negotiating). And no...they didn't flip the difference into my trade-in...I didn't have one.

I hope this info helps some of you.
Charles
Old Jan 31, 2002, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Please tell me the secret of getting a dealer to agree to MSRP, when they also know this car is going to be hot and rare? That's the problem I'm running into. I refuse to pay over MSRP, but I have a feeling I may end up having to drive to Timbuktu to pick it up.
Old Jan 31, 2002, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Its all about them wanting the instant sale right? I mean, a sale today at MSRP could be better than a sale over MSRP in a couple weeks. Also, I would imagine this has to do alot with the timing. IE, if they are trying to get in some nice numbers for the month.

Also, tell the dealer that you have pictures of him in a compromising position with one of the new salesmen!

Nick
Old Jan 31, 2002, 11:07 AM

Okay...Tips.

Okay...here are a few tips.

1. Goto the Volume Dealer in your Region. They sold the most cars for a reason. They are more likely to deal in your favor.

2. Try to speak to a Sales Manager, or find out who the top salesperson is and talk to them...Once again, they got there becuase they move the cars.

3. Go in Prepared. Know what you can and cannot do and what can and can not afford. I might suggest reading a book about car buying/ dealer techniques.

4. Visit as many dealers as possible. They don't have to be mitsu dealers, and you don't have to buy anything, but after you read the book, go on a field trip. Act like you are interested, and lead them along. Get used to THEIR games. Remember, when you goto a dealership, you are at THEIR home. They are comfortable, and you should be too, but unfortunatly, most customers are nervous.

5. The Salesperson IS NOT your friend/buddy/pal. He might not even be a car enthusiast, but he'll make you think he is. He WORKS for the dealer and will always keep the dealers and his best intresrts FIRST.

6. Find another dealership that WILL deal MSRP from others, even if it's 2000 miles away. If it seems that the dealer you are working with DEMANDS over MSRP, Tell him you can get it @ ABC dealer in X-town, USA for MSRP. Then offer to pay over MSRP, but only the difference that shipping would cost (usually $500). You are now paying $500 over sticker, but you don't have to transport one Cross Country, and the dealer gets a little extra in there pocket. (you can actually purchase a car via Phone and Fax).

7. Don't be scared to get up and walk out if you don't feel comfortable. It's your money. It's an awesome car, but unless your loaded, you can't afford to get screwed.

8. Practice Practice Practice. Any family members or friends buying cars soon? Go with them. Watch how the dealers play games. Learn to identify what "GAME" they are playing and take the upper hand. Once they gain control (And they know when!) your screwed.

9. Get Pre-approved for the Credit...Preferably through a Credit Union, Dealers take a % of the Intrest rate that they quote you. I could go more into financing tricks if you wish, just ask.

10. Try to sell your current vehicle beforehand. Taking a car to the dealer as a trade-in is a big No-No. They're are too many hiding spots for them to mark things up. They tell you your getting MSRP, but they're ripping you off on your trade. Sell it Privately, or even try Carmax. Carmax offered me $4k more for my car than the dealer did. I sold it to Carmax and went to the Dealer and bought my new car.

That's a good start...They're are some "good" dealers out there, you just got to find them.
Charles