Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ACD Setting - snow?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2005, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
To be clear, the Evo is always 50/50 no matter what setting you choose. The different settings just determine when the diff locks.
Ah correct, forgot to mention that in the theoretical part. Thank you for adding it.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIRC snow was 85F - 15R as well.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Greg - the ACD computer just goes off of calculations and readings. In reality it is fluctuating between many different calcs in each setting, it was just easier to explain using its theo. parameters. Rather then Snow 80/20, 90/10....and everything between.

Does that help more?
Old Oct 25, 2005, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, was just trying to emphasize that it's never fully FWD. We're all on the same page, just reading each other differently.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Cool beans...yep looks like we were on the same page, but different paragraphs
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey what if you left it in snow mode all the time, even on dry pavement, do you think that could improve gas mileage? Just a thought.....
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

No. Why would it?

You still are dragging around all the same weight. Takes the same amount of power, and you still are using all 4 wheels.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Well this answers my Q's about ACD too.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:16 PM
sk8

Off-topic but I can't wait for snow this winter now. I hope we get 10' this winter.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

im kinda late but from what i understand acd doesnt split tq. check this out.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&highlight=ACD

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Many may have or should have said search, but I am nice - Ill explain some. Greg K stated it well in his first post. But here is the breakdown: (These are the theoretical numbers, our cars can never go all FWD, the rear will always have some split of the power, but the computer ACD thinks like this)

Setting F R
Tarmac - 50/50
Gravel - 75/25
Snow - 100/00

The settings do work, I have have had my Evo for a winter now, and on the Advans at that (yes I am crazy, and I am not doing that again - all-season tires this round). But the car will behave closer to a FWD in the snow setting when you are in snow. Makes it easier to drive around, but it will understeer more.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

LOL
Originally Posted by ashton13
I dont see a difference when it rains and I change the mode to gravel. AWD is AWD IMO. When it snows I will definetly use the snow mode though, just caus its there.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:18 AM

I'm currently going to school in Big Rapids, MI and its already started to snow, this is my first year owning my evo and I actually still have my summer tires on (I've been lazy, gimme a break ) and I have DEFINATELY noticed a difference in driving in the snow with tarmac compared to snow. Unless you want to be doing awd "burnouts" go with the snow setting
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

redfoxny be careful with the advans in the snow. As long as your not dumb they are fine, but dont even think about hitting boost just a warning, have heard of soooo many people wrecking their evo's in the snow with advans. I took my 04 to the mountains for snowboarding several times and never had a problem but I took it really easy.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 09:21 AM

SmikeEvo,

Thanks for the explanation of F/R splits.

I ran an autocross in the rain on sealed asphalt and left the car in tarmac on the first 2 runs. Times were 63+ seconds.

On my 3rd run I changed the settings to gravel. I didn't really feel any difference but my time dropped to 60+ seconds. The settings were very transparent and I just went faster.

AWD rocks inthe rain!

Jim H.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

A little off topic, i know....buuut

Last night was the first time i had the evo out ion the snow...not much, but a few centimeters. I'm waiting on my winter rubber, as i havent gotten the delivery yet. Anyways, that left me with the stock Advans. I've alwas heard around the boards that they stockers suck in the snow, but i never realized how bad they actually suck.

My car was all over the road...and stopping, that was an adventure all in itself. Just a warning to everybody that hasnt got to put winter tires on, or people trying to run summer performance tires all winter....Get all seasons...nobody likes to see EVOs in ditches.

on a side note, i did have the ACD on the 'snow' setting...didnt really notice a difference. But then again, that could be because i was focused on the road, and staying on it.

Quick Reply: ACD Setting - snow?