Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AVO Exhaust Arrived Today...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2005, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to break the news to you but...inside the muffler the pipe necks down to 2 7/8 OD (2 3/4 ID). This was confirmed when DC Sports cut open the muffler to examine the internals. With that said, I still like my AVO because it is quiet.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 06:00 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check for myself when I get home tonight.

Even still, the muffler has to take some modicum of power away just by being a muffler. If that's where the 3hp trade-off exists in this system compared to other much louder exhausts, I'll still be happy with my choice. As I said, my goal was to get the quietest and best-performing system on the market, and I know these two attributes can't exist in the same system. The best I could possibly hope for is a system with solid R&D behind both objectives.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

It's cool that AVO was willing to help out with the cert.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

post some pics with the exhaust installed
Old Nov 4, 2005, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Do you know how much this TBE weights in at?
Old Nov 4, 2005, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

nice...any sound clips?
Old Nov 4, 2005, 09:23 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dan2510
Do you know how much this TBE weights in at?
Sorry, Dan, I don't know off-hand exactly how much the TBE weighs. My AVO TBE will be slightly different from the one they sell for the Evo simply because I'll be using the downpipe that comes with their turbo kit instead of the stock replacement that comes with their normal TBE setup.

I can say, though, that it isn't light -- and that's on purpose. They use heavy-gauge steel, I believe, to help with the exhaust tone. This is also to ensure the long life of the exhaust. The workmanship that has gone into this system seems quite remarkable. If you would like, I can try and get some weight figures on the cat-back by using a bathroom scale and calculator.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

I was about to get this AVO exhaust as well but decided to go with RM01A because it is a bit quieter than AVO and shorter so it fits EVO IX bumper better.
But AVO is very nice exhaust!
BTW how much did you pay for this?
I know it's pretty expensive...
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:25 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lvNVevo
nice...any sound clips?
No sound clips, or installed pics yet...but I will be sure to keep this thread updated when I install the system.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:28 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mybada
I was about to get this AVO exhaust as well but decided to go with RM01A because it is a bit quieter than AVO and shorter so it fits EVO IX bumper better.
But AVO is very nice exhaust!
BTW how much did you pay for this?
I know it's pretty expensive...
Nice! I can understand why you went with the Fujitsubo RM01A if the IX bumper is a little shorter. That too is a very nice and quiet setup.

Since I bought this exhaust in a package deal, I didn't pay retail. However, AVO can probably get you a a pretty good deal if you ask nicely. I ordered mine from them directly using www.avoevo.com.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Here's the AVO installed on my old '04 Evo: http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/u...5-0504_IMG.JPG
Old Nov 6, 2005, 01:42 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

The cat-back is now installed!

The installation was very simple, and nearly identical to stock. The only thing I did differently than the stock exhaust was flip the hanger bracket near the rear differential upside down. Unfortunately, one of the bolt heads broke while I was removing it...so I'll have to extract it. No big deal. All of the flanges seemed very strong and long-lasting. It bolted up perfectly to the 3" resonated test pipe which, in turn, bolted up to my stock (for now) downpipe. Everything is now secured, with no leaks.

The first test drive proved that the stock exhaust is indeed very restrictive. I now reach redline noticably faster. Just like everyone says, it is only slightly louder than stock at idle. I couldn't hear my stock exhaust with the windows up before, but I can hear this one a little. It's most noticable at idle and very low RPMs. At higher RPMs, it isn't as loud as you'd expect it to be given the rumble at idle. The best way I can describe the sound is to say that it complements the engine noise very well during hard accelleration, while not being too loud. I have an open element intake, which was the only thing you could hear before with the stock exhaust. Now, I still hear the intake, only it is complemented by the deep tone of the exhaust. It's never tinny, overbearing, or droaning. You can tell it's not stock, but it certainly isn't anything like the ridiculously loud ricers that give import tuners a bad name.

One last thing: Off-idle throttle response is a little less nimble. This is to be expected with so much less back pressure, but it's got me thinking about a lighter flywheel or maybe the effect of some cams on my setup.

Overall, this is exactly what I wanted form an exhaust and I'm pleased with the purchase. Do it once, do it right, and you'll not be disappointed.

As for the turbo kit, it has been shipped and I'll report on it as soon as it arrives.
Attached Thumbnails AVO Exhaust Arrived Today...-dsc00718.jpg   AVO Exhaust Arrived Today...-dsc00719.jpg   AVO Exhaust Arrived Today...-dsc00720.jpg  

Last edited by Pd1; Nov 6, 2005 at 01:45 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

So you did get it! Congrats! Got mine installed back in October. I have it mated to the stock cat and HKS downpipe. Great isn't it?
Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05-EVO-GSR
I hate to break the news to you but...inside the muffler the pipe necks down to 2 7/8 OD (2 3/4 ID). This was confirmed when DC Sports cut open the muffler to examine the internals. With that said, I still like my AVO because it is quiet.
Ahh, it's still close to 3" and it's only in the muffler, small area.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 01:11 AM

Awesome, congrats man

Quick Reply: AVO Exhaust Arrived Today...