Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AVO Exhaust Arrived Today...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2005, 09:01 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by inariv5573
So you did get it! Congrats! Got mine installed back in October. I have it mated to the stock cat and HKS downpipe. Great isn't it?
Yep! It's very nice. Mine is a full 3" AVO (including) turbo-back now, with a 3" ID resonated test pipe. I guess you could call it an AVO manifold-back.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...o+s-type+turbo

I'll post up the dyno sheet shortly. I believe it was 347hp/326tq on a Mustang. (93 octane @ 26psi)
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nevermind.... looks great

Last edited by Viciouslord; Dec 4, 2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 03:03 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

First of all, sorry it's taken so long for me to update this thread. The first time I went to the dyno, my car wasn't running as well as I would havel liked it to; turns out, I had a boost leak and a couple of other things to address. Since then, I've added a Walbro fuel pump and an AEM wideband gauge as well. My boost is set at about 24-25psi.

My Mods as of Today:
AVO S-Type Turbo Kit (GT3071)
3" ID Resonated Test Pipe
3" ID AVO Turbo-back Exhaust
Blitz (Denso) 660cc Injectors
ACT Street Clutch Kit
DSMLink EMS
AMS FMIC
AMS LICP
Hallman Pro MBC
AEM UEGO Wideband Gauge-type
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
APS CAI
HKS RS Intake Pipe
*stock cams*

Special thanks to the great crew at Precision Dyno for all their help. Great customer service coupled with strong tuning knowledge makes this shop one of the best out there.

Last edited by Pd1; Jan 19, 2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

So you are making 352 AWHP and 315 Torque with all that stuff?
Old Dec 17, 2005, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Ahh, it's still close to 3" and it's only in the muffler, small area.
Exactly. It is much better than jamming a chocker (silencer) in the pipe to quiet it down.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:44 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05-EVO-GSR
So you are making 352 AWHP and 315 Torque with all that stuff?
No, actually. I forgot to mention that I also have ARP head studs and a GFB BOV which is set to full recirculation.

I suppose you're implying that my numbers are lower than you'd expect.. Keep in mind my tuning philosophy: safe and reliable power made from quality parts. With that said, also consider that this is a Mustang dyno, not a DynoJet. Lastly, I'm only running about 24.5psi on 93, which is more than the stocker can do (without pushing a bunch of hot air) but it's barely stretching the legs of the 3071. My preference will always be to use 80% of capacity and live to run another day, rather than using 100% and needing a tow truck. Your view may differ from mine.

My stock MAF is seeing 42lb/min of air pass through it (which isn't bad at all for having stock cams) and I don't even have a single count of knock throughout my entire RPM band. Sure, I could push up the boost to 30psi and make a few dyno pulls that show maybe 380hp or so, but that's not why I go to the dyno. This is my daily driver, and I will keep it safe and reliable. Cams would put me at about 400hp (per Nick @ Precision), but I would hate to give up a perfect sleeper idle. We'll see. It's fun for me right now, and it has met my (pre-cam) performance goals.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:50 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05-EVO-GSR
Exactly. It is much better than jamming a chocker (silencer) in the pipe to quiet it down.
If you're trying to imply that the AVO exhaust creates a restriction similar to that of a silencer, you're flat wrong. It has been well-documented that silencers often restrict exhaust airflow beyond the restrictions of a stock exhaust system. No street performance enthusaist should ever consider a silencer.

Now, is there some modicum of horsepower that's traded for a quiet exhaust? Of course there is. That's a decision that I've made, and I'm happy with it. I refuse to sound like a loud tinny ricer to gain 3 more horsepower. Again, your view may differ from mine.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:14 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

For those interested in this turbo kit/setup, feel free to visit my other thread located here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=170502

Happy Evoing!
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pd1
If you're trying to imply that the AVO exhaust creates a restriction similar to that of a silencer, you're flat wrong. It has been well-documented that silencers often restrict exhaust airflow beyond the restrictions of a stock exhaust system. No street performance enthusaist should ever consider a silencer.

Now, is there some modicum of horsepower that's traded for a quiet exhaust? Of course there is. That's a decision that I've made, and I'm happy with it. I refuse to sound like a loud tinny ricer to gain 3 more horsepower. Again, your view may differ from mine.
Hey, I bought it for the same reason. I have a few questions. What type of resonated testpipe do you have? Is it much louder than when you had a stock cat?
What type of CEL fix do you have?
Is there plenty of smoke coming out of the back with the testpipe? Does it smell?
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:28 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Hey, I bought it for the same reason. I have a few questions. What type of resonated testpipe do you have? Is it much louder than when you had a stock cat?
What type of CEL fix do you have?
Is there plenty of smoke coming out of the back with the testpipe? Does it smell?
I bought the test pipe from dsm95hybrid on EvoM. It's a nice piece, and is a true 3" ID resonator. By that, I mean that it's a full 3" inside the resonator all the way through (I measured). What's nicer is the fact that it has a handy O2 bung already welded into it, which I made use of this weekend installing the AEM wideband .

As for the loudness, I installed the AVO cat-back at the same time as the test pipe, so I never heard my exhaust with the factory cat. It isn't loud, though....sorry to say subjective things like that, I don't have a dB meter . You're not too far away...if you'd like to hear it for yourself, feel free to shoot me a PM.

I don't notice any smoke coming out of my exhaust, and other than the normal "breaking in" smell, I can't tell it doesn't have a real cat converter.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pd1
I bought the test pipe from dsm95hybrid on EvoM. It's a nice piece, and is a true 3" ID resonator. By that, I mean that it's a full 3" inside the resonator all the way through (I measured). What's nicer is the fact that it has a handy O2 bung already welded into it, which I made use of this weekend installing the AEM wideband .

As for the loudness, I installed the AVO cat-back at the same time as the test pipe, so I never heard my exhaust with the factory cat. It isn't loud, though....sorry to say subjective things like that, I don't have a dB meter . You're not too far away...if you'd like to hear it for yourself, feel free to shoot me a PM.

I don't notice any smoke coming out of my exhaust, and other than the normal "breaking in" smell, I can't tell it doesn't have a real cat converter.
I was looking into the RNR resonated testpipe. What part of PA are you from?
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Were you able to figure out how much it weighs compared to stock? Heavier? Lighter? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Pd1
Sorry, Dan, I don't know off-hand exactly how much the TBE weighs. My AVO TBE will be slightly different from the one they sell for the Evo simply because I'll be using the downpipe that comes with their turbo kit instead of the stock replacement that comes with their normal TBE setup.

I can say, though, that it isn't light -- and that's on purpose. They use heavy-gauge steel, I believe, to help with the exhaust tone. This is also to ensure the long life of the exhaust. The workmanship that has gone into this system seems quite remarkable. If you would like, I can try and get some weight figures on the cat-back by using a bathroom scale and calculator.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pd1

I have been running the AVO TBE on my EVO for a year now, relax bro.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pd1
No, actually. I forgot to mention that I also have ARP head studs and a GFB BOV which is set to full recirculation.

I suppose you're implying that my numbers are lower than you'd expect.. Keep in mind my tuning philosophy: safe and reliable power made from quality parts. With that said, also consider that this is a Mustang dyno, not a DynoJet. Lastly, I'm only running about 24.5psi on 93, which is more than the stocker can do (without pushing a bunch of hot air) but it's barely stretching the legs of the 3071. My preference will always be to use 80% of capacity and live to run another day, rather than using 100% and needing a tow truck. Your view may differ from mine.

My stock MAF is seeing 42lb/min of air pass through it (which isn't bad at all for having stock cams) and I don't even have a single count of knock throughout my entire RPM band. Sure, I could push up the boost to 30psi and make a few dyno pulls that show maybe 380hp or so, but that's not why I go to the dyno. This is my daily driver, and I will keep it safe and reliable. Cams would put me at about 400hp (per Nick @ Precision), but I would hate to give up a perfect sleeper idle. We'll see. It's fun for me right now, and it has met my (pre-cam) performance goals.
I am not implying anything. If the shoe fits, wear it! I am glad to see that you are happy with your AVO Turbo.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 05:06 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by badbrain
Were you able to figure out how much it weighs compared to stock? Heavier? Lighter? Thanks.
I didn't weigh the cat- back before installing it, but it was a little lighter than the stock pipes. I'd say maybe 5lbs lighter than the stock cat-back. It's not light, but that's due to the thick piping, thick/quality flanges, and large muffler. If weight is super important to you, you may want to check out the Ti systems.

Quick Reply: AVO Exhaust Arrived Today...