Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo III Importing Scam?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
risky i'd say?
Old Dec 8, 2005, 07:32 PM

Evo 3

I am the gentelman that has the evo 3 for sale. the pics taken were outside of chiba japan at my contacts facility where the cars were being loaded up for transport. the cars are not wrecked as they were purchased at the USAA auctions in yokohama japan and if there wrecked it has to be disclosed. the cars are currently in transport and are scheduled to be here on or around the 1st of january. the cars are priced at 12,000 a piece since you all think i am selling them to cheap. i am not one to get into the forum battles that insue i am just someone who figured out how to get cars into the US and get the state of florida to title them. i have done about 4 skylines and the evos will be no diffrent. i do not title them as kit cars or as evo 8 or lancers or whatever else you may think these will be titled as evo 3 with the japanese vin#. are these declared as epa approved, i dout it as florida does not have any type of emmissions testing so it is fairly cut and dry to do. will these cars be legal in california i have no idea but i have sold cars in florida georgia texas NC SC i have titled cars in new jersey and maryland. This is what i have this is whats for sale and you guys already have a pit bull questioning everything i have told him. regardless the cars are coming they will be here if you have money you can buy them. when the paperwork is done i will post and at that point whoever can take a road trip here but bring money. thank you
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

^^ interesting
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

hell, if i had the $$$ i'd be willing to take a look at them once they are stateside! what do you have to lose?
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

i wouldnt worry about what most people think they can "get away with or not", because if you do alot of research into the subject you can find out allot more than this thread of bantering and bashing has suceeded in doing. this sounds actually legit to me compared to alot of the so-called "importing scams". i helped a buddy recently title a 2001 accord euroR in CALIFORNIA as a FULLY LEGAL mode of transportation, so trust me, it can be done.

Importofamerica: i am very interested in the white car, please PM me or email me asap and maybe we can try and work a deal out or something. looking forward to hearing from you. thanks
Ryan
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

How do you title and VIN a car that technically does not exist in America? That magic trick I'd like to see...
Old Dec 9, 2005, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

If what you are claming is on the up and up, then this could be great news for all evo enthusiasts. However, I am sure that you can understand and appreciate our skepticism and doubt. Too many times we all see claims of imports and hot cars from Japan only to find out there is something that is not quite right with the vehicles, or that the registration processes have somehow been shortcut. I lived in Japan for nearly 13 years and I have contacts in the auto shipping industry, so I have seen many difficulties with exporting non-US market cars. Please dont take my (and our) concerns as a direct attack on you personally - its just that we all hear lots of stories and as the old addage goes - if its too good to be true...

For what its worth, I am looking forward to hearing more info from you and your buyer, as it may very well convince me to look at purchasing an older evo in the future. I have loved the Dandelion Yellow Evo 3's ever since I saw them new in '95. If you are having success in bringing them here, then you will have many people knocking on your door.

I have even considered getting into the import/export business a few times myself, I simply dont have the stateside contacts to pull it off. I am especially interested to hear more from you and hear more about your business.

regards.

Matthew.

Originally Posted by importofamerica
I am the gentelman that has the evo 3 for sale. the pics taken were outside of chiba japan at my contacts facility where the cars were being loaded up for transport. the cars are not wrecked as they were purchased at the USAA auctions in yokohama japan and if there wrecked it has to be disclosed. the cars are currently in transport and are scheduled to be here on or around the 1st of january. the cars are priced at 12,000 a piece since you all think i am selling them to cheap. i am not one to get into the forum battles that insue i am just someone who figured out how to get cars into the US and get the state of florida to title them. i have done about 4 skylines and the evos will be no diffrent. i do not title them as kit cars or as evo 8 or lancers or whatever else you may think these will be titled as evo 3 with the japanese vin#. are these declared as epa approved, i dout it as florida does not have any type of emmissions testing so it is fairly cut and dry to do. will these cars be legal in california i have no idea but i have sold cars in florida georgia texas NC SC i have titled cars in new jersey and maryland. This is what i have this is whats for sale and you guys already have a pit bull questioning everything i have told him. regardless the cars are coming they will be here if you have money you can buy them. when the paperwork is done i will post and at that point whoever can take a road trip here but bring money. thank you
Old Dec 9, 2005, 09:23 AM

Well i must say you guys are alot easier and more open to change than the skyline guys. and dont get me wrong 2 years ago i was the same as you guys i wanted a skyline!!! i met some guys in florida i will actually tell you a name import evolutions, and the guy liked to brag how he got them how he got them titled and so on. me being older and seeing a way of making $ decided to just listen learned all i could from him then started doing my own research #1 why do they title them as kit cars when i can get them titled as the car. so i went to the local DMV sat down with the inspection guy took about 2 days i learned alot again by just listening and figured out all the paperwork and now 6 months later its done. what can i do it, well it helps if you have a DMV office that doesnt really get into the politics of skylines or all the BS associated with it. i drop my vehicles off to them they do there verifications check with the department of transportation in japan to make sure the vehicles are not stolen and then they do there own inspections of the vehicle for all the normal goodies, if there is something wrong i haft to fix it like catalytic convertors not being there, if it right the clear it i get it back they give me the paper work to take to the title office and the next day i have a florida state title. with the vin# that came on the on the car done by the state of florida. and yes i do get to keep the original certificate of de-registration becouse all they want is the declared and stamped translated version so you even get that when you buy the car. will this pass in every state i dont really know my gut tells me probably 40 out of the 50 yes. can it be insured ABSOLUTLEY. i dont have the problem alot of you have as i have USAA insurance which is the insurance company the military has and they insure driver in japan so these cars are in the computer system and they will write a policy. for the people telling you that you cannot get insurance your absolutley wrong. call state farm call allstate and most of the other companys tell them you have a specialty car and want it put as a stated value policy. which is if you pay 12,000.00 for the car tell them its worth 12 and you want a policy designed around that. its that simple. there is alot of people out here that has wrong info or just wont listen but as one of your other members stated they got a accord done. then think why not an evo, is it that much mire than a skyline?????? and i am getting them done now. and you never hear anything about evos thats why i chose them is to get into a line of cars thats easier to sell than the all ellusive skyline. make sense??
Old Dec 9, 2005, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by FatheroftheEVO
i wouldnt worry about what most people think they can "get away with or not", because if you do alot of research into the subject you can find out allot more than this thread of bantering and bashing has suceeded in doing. this sounds actually legit to me compared to alot of the so-called "importing scams". i helped a buddy recently title a 2001 accord euroR in CALIFORNIA as a FULLY LEGAL mode of transportation, so trust me, it can be done.

Importofamerica: i am very interested in the white car, please PM me or email me asap and maybe we can try and work a deal out or something. looking forward to hearing from you. thanks
Ryan
hats off to you.. you are the majician if you can get a car titled in that state you are the master not i. and as you said if its not possible there is are alot of japanese based cars popping up here in the US is there not. motorex only imported about 86 cars. i bet there is that many skylines alone in florida. probably more. i know of 8 in my town alone.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

I'd be interested in a GTR or an Evo 5. Take orders?

Dave
Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:03 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

My friend just sold his JDM imported Integra Type R. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=166329

Getting the cars to the US and then registering them is definitely doable. If you can see the car this guy is selling, see the proper registration documents etc. it is probably legit.

It's just whether you want the hassle of dealing with driving a gray market car. Esp. in California, you constantly have to worry about police and possibly getting sent to the state smog ref. Other states may be more lax on smog and inspections.

I see Skylines, RHD 240SXs, RHD WRXs, RHD Hondas on the street all the time. Does that mean they are 100% approved through the US DOT? Probably not but they are titled, registered, smogged and the owners are loving their rides.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was looking @ the pictures, thinking it's a 3, looking @ the engine bay, knowing that it's not a V, and then the shoe drops. actually sounds legit.
i would personally like to see a scanned pic of a early evo, or skyline u.s. registration though.

I'm a little skeptical, but he right about usaa insurance.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:26 AM

Silencer I already have first dibs on a Evo5, but he said it could be very expensive.ow I have to decide, imported 3 or 5, or USDM 8 or 9?
Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have *heard* that this is easy to do because you can get a Florida substitute VIN that is only good in Florida. And that the way they get the cars in is take them apart and import them as parts and then put them back together which isn't right.

No RHD, JDM car is legal in America. Except for the few Skylines Motorex was able to slip through, but no more.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by importofamerica
hats off to you.. you are the majician if you can get a car titled in that state you are the master not i. and as you said if its not possible there is are alot of japanese based cars popping up here in the US is there not. motorex only imported about 86 cars. i bet there is that many skylines alone in florida. probably more. i know of 8 in my town alone.
i hear ya theres like 6 skylines i know of in colorado and theres gotta be more. registering and titleing a car isnt that hard when you know what to say, and what the circumstances are. i just told my buddy what to say when he went in to register and title the car, and he walked out an hour later with a fully legalized JDM accord. in california. i shot you an email IOA, hope we can work a few things out

Quick Reply: Evo III Importing Scam?