Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Got my new Silver EVO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Got my new Silver EVO

Well, I got my new EVO Wednesday morning I'm thrilled with the car, it is awesome. As another WRX driver said "the WRX feels like an Accord after driving the EVO"
All kidding aside, I loved my WRX, great car but the EVO is in a different class. Here is a site were I put my pictures www.tango-rio.com/evo8-1

Manuel
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Link DOA.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Got it now:

http://www.tango-rio.com/evo8-1.htm
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:03 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

As for wrx mods. Unichip sucks. Go with U-Tec or shiv's ecu tec. With the U-Tec you can tune yourself.

MBC= no performance gain.
#1 reason is that factory ecu timing pull. Doesn't matter if you run 16psi if your ecu is smart enought to pull timing it'll be as slow as it was stock.

How do you like the evo? And welcome
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation WRX, EVO....

Originally posted by gtr
As for wrx mods. Unichip sucks. Go with U-Tec or shiv's ecu tec. With the U-Tec you can tune yourself.

MBC= no performance gain.
#1 reason is that factory ecu timing pull. Doesn't matter if you run 16psi if your ecu is smart enought to pull timing it'll be as slow as it was stock.

How do you like the evo? And welcome
Thanks for getting the url right! it is http://www.tango-rio.com/evo8-1.htm My bad.... As far as the WRX, well... it's gone, nice car but I could not keep both. The UNICHIP is a POS. I learned my lesson... I don't trust the others too much either. I guarantee you that I'll be extremely selective about any modifications I *might* do to the EVO..... Frankly, the car is about as good as it can be. Outside of a little more power, I would not change a thing...
Old Mar 22, 2003, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL, you rat bastard!! thats the one I went to see at carmax like five times Today I was at my job and my girlfriend called and said "your silver EVO is sitting in the Publix parking lot" (she works at the suntrust there). Later that afternoon, my best freind called around 3:30-4:00 and said "I just saw a silver evo go down sandy plains" LOL, at least I know who drives it now. Let me know if you can take me on a test drive one day CONGRATS!!

btw, what do you do for a living?

Last edited by Event-Horizon; Mar 22, 2003 at 12:20 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2003, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

congrats on the car
Old Mar 22, 2003, 07:37 PM

Manuel,

Whats up! It's Ryan with the blue WRX. The silver evo looks awesome. I'm looking to get the evo or STi later this year and what to know want you think of it. I think I still have your email addy so I'll email so I can check it out sometime.

Later,
Ryan
Old Mar 22, 2003, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I need to meet up with you guys one day. If I cant get an EVO next year cause of their limited production (I read in SCC that they're not though) I may get a WRX or a STi myself. I'm going to to pay down my OZ Lancer and some credit card debt first before I buy.
Old Mar 22, 2003, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

GTR, what are you talking about? As long as you don't go overboard (which a lot of people do) the MBC has a significant effect on power in a WRX. I went from a 14.3 stock to a 13.7 with just a MBC and K&N filter (useless). I have to admit my driving got better since I was not used to an AWD car having come from Mustang Cobra's but that certainly did not account for more then 2 tenths. Bang for the buck, (used properly!) the MBC is a great mod. It took a Turbo XS stage 2 to get me in the 13.2 range. Now that was fun!

Mike
Still waiting.....
Old Mar 22, 2003, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Hi Ryan

Originally posted by Ryno
Manuel,

Whats up! It's Ryan with the blue WRX. The silver evo looks awesome. I'm looking to get the evo or STi later this year and what to know want you think of it. I think I still have your email addy so I'll email so I can check it out sometime.

Later,
Ryan
Hi Ryan, long time no see.... I was just taking with my son Paul and he asked me if you were still in town..... The evo is really good, the power is great, I'll find out more about that after break in The handling is quite superb. maybe those Advan tires have something to do with it, but it really handles like a very well set up car with thousands of dollars of suspension mods. The fit and finish is excellent, I was frankly blown away when I saw it, I did not think it could be so nice.... My friends like it a lot, no offence but it's much better liked that the WRX. The STi will prolly be really good too, but I can definitely recommend the EVO. Lets get together someday soon so I can show it to you.....
Old Mar 22, 2003, 08:52 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Originally posted by WRX1832
GTR, what are you talking about? As long as you don't go overboard (which a lot of people do) the MBC has a significant effect on power in a WRX. I went from a 14.3 stock to a 13.7 with just a MBC and K&N filter (useless). I have to admit my driving got better since I was not used to an AWD car having come from Mustang Cobra's but that certainly did not account for more then 2 tenths. Bang for the buck, (used properly!) the MBC is a great mod. It took a Turbo XS stage 2 to get me in the 13.2 range. Now that was fun!

Mike
Still waiting.....
You got lucky. Some WRX's have massive timing pull some doesn't. Now i've heard that shiv has a way to make your wrx to provide the most aggressive map on the wrx ecu, by holding it for 5 secs at a certain rpm and load right after ecu reset. You should remember these cases on I-Club back in the days.
Old Mar 22, 2003, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs down My experience was different

Originally posted by WRX1832

Mike
Still waiting.....
I don't want to start any argument or anything. To each his own, but in my experience, the TurboXs stuff, Unichip, MBC and all was mostly bogus. Sure, there is *some* improvement in acceleration, but at what cost? The car loses driveability and there is no cure for all the b.s. hesitation, misfires, poor fuel consumption, CELs, etc. I even took out the 3" turboback exhaust and never even installed the up-pipe. All that money went down the tubes.

All those mods are more hassle than they are worth. The CELs, potential engine damage, loss of warranty, loss of driveability, added noise, etc. were just to much for me. The truth is that my WRX was much more enjoyable in stock form. I wish I'd kept my money and just applied it to the purchase of the EVO

After I put the car back to stock, I realized how well thought out it really was. For my money, it's better to get what you want straight out of the factory than to try to make a purse out of a sows ear. I think it's better to get a STi or an EVO (or if you got the $$, an M3, AMG Mercedes, Audi S6, etc.) than to try to make one out of the WRX.

Of course, having said all that, I'm still capable of messing around with my nice car. I just hope that when the commercials, promos anf general hype starts about some great new mod, guaranteed to get you in the 12's, I remember what I went through with the WRX...

Peace
Old Mar 22, 2003, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Talking I'm glad you did not get it

Originally posted by Event-Horizon
LOL, you rat bastard!! thats the one I went to see at carmax like five times Today I was at my job and my girlfriend called and said "your silver EVO is sitting in the Publix parking lot" (she works at the suntrust there). Later that afternoon, my best freind called around 3:30-4:00 and said "I just saw a silver evo go down sandy plains" LOL, at least I know who drives it now. Let me know if you can take me on a test drive one day CONGRATS!!

btw, what do you do for a living?
Dude... sorry about that, but I'm glad you did not get my car You have no idea of what I went through to get it. I found out by accident that they got that car in last week. I knew about it before anybody else I think. I could not even see it until Friday. When I went to see it, I offered to buy it on the spot, but no such luck. the manager even turned me down. They would not even take a deposit of $2K cash! He said "too many people want this car, the only fair thing to do is that whoever is here first, after the paperwork comes in, gets it".
Naturally since I knew that I was going to be out of town all weekend until Tuesday night, I was royally pissed off. I just knew that somebody (you?) was gonna buy the car before I got back. I figured, what the hell, if they sell it, they sell it. I'll just keep my money and my WRX.....
To my great surprise, they called me Tuesday night that the car was still available, but I could not make it yet I called the salesman Wednesday morning, met him at Carmax when they opened, the car was still there I promtly had him put a "sold" tag on it and some 3 or 4 hours later (who said buying a car was easy?) I was the proud owner of the silver EVO
I work just off Sandy Plains Rd, across the Wendys near the RR tracks. I'm an engineer and I have pretty flexible hours, give me an email or a call, maybe we can meet for luch near there and I'll give you a ride .....

Manuel

Last edited by silverEVO8; Mar 22, 2003 at 09:25 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2003, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

I guess I did get lucky. The car did not have any driveability issues to speak of and as far as noise....no louder then stock because I left the stock muffler on. The only time I encountered an issue was at Watkins Glenn Raceway. Running around at WOT for a long period of time got my egt's up past 1600 degrees so I had to back off a bit. Didn't matter on the second day though because it was raining and most cars were having traction issues, except of course the AWD cars .

Oh well, back to topic.

Congrats on the your new EVO! I am waiting (kinda patiently) for mine to come in. After seeing the car at another dealer it's starting to kill me

Mike

Quick Reply: Got my new Silver EVO