Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Installed Defi BF boost gauge, hints & questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2005, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Defi BF boost gauge, hints & questions

My Defi BF boost gauge arrived this week so I installed it and the control unit this weekend. The install went well, although I have got the following hints:
  • The tutorial in the "features" section of this website mentions removing a rubber bung in the firewall. It pushes in from the engine side to the cabin much easier than it pulls out and will fall out neatly in the passenger footwell.
  • You can tap all connections into the radio harness, including the illumination wire, although it will not dim with the other interior lights. I didn't find getting a dimming illumination wire necessary as the Defi BF has 5 levels of illumination when the lights are on and off. You can have them set to bright for day (lights off) and dim for night to match the main cluster (lights on).

My '05 Evo VIII is completely stock aside from a WORKS drop-in air filter, and the Defi BF is reading exactly 22 psi peak and it holds 18 psi after it tapers off. The meter reads exactly 0 when the engine is off. Is it possible the meter is off? Would anyone happen to know the margin of error on the Defi BF boost gauge and the specs I have seen quoted for the Evo VIII on this site (20-ish psi peak, tapering to 17 psi)?

I am tapped into the hose as suggested by the article in the features section of this site:

https://www.evolutionm.net/features/...rojectevo/24/3

The gauge looks very nice - I mounted it above the instrument cluster to the left so it doesn't block any of the factory gauges.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Why would you push the rubber piece into the engine bay in the 1st place? I've never heard of anyone doing it that way?
Old Dec 12, 2005, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the grommit or however you spell it is easy to push back in once you get it out, i lubed it with some lithium grease and it slid in really easy. pulling it out ? ... not so easy...i end up stabbing it with a hook tool i have and it came out. unfortunately i have rather large forearms so i could barely fit in the gap i had to work with
Old Dec 12, 2005, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
i have rather large forearms so i could barely fit in the gap i had to work with
I feel your pain!
Attached Images  
Old Dec 12, 2005, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by walkedu
Why would you push the rubber piece into the engine bay in the 1st place? I've never heard of anyone doing it that way?
I wasn't trying to push it into the engine bay, I was trying to pull it out. Took me a minute before I realised it pushed into the passenger compartment very easily.

Anyone know the margins of error expected for Defi BF gauges or the specs quotes for the Evo VIII stock boost? If not, I'll try contacting Defi.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Post up some pics
Old Dec 12, 2005, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ksattic
I wasn't trying to push it into the engine bay, I was trying to pull it out. Took me a minute before I realised it pushed into the passenger compartment very easily.

Anyone know the margins of error expected for Defi BF gauges or the specs quotes for the Evo VIII stock boost? If not, I'll try contacting Defi.
0.5psi - 1.5psi depends on the gauge. Mine, according to the AEM ecu, was about 1psi off.... on the safe side. Hope that helps.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mechanical gauges are made to read at 0 when the engine is off. MAP sensors read the actual pressure, taking into account atmospheric pressure changes. Hence why your gauge is probably off.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hahha I pushed mine in and it got lost
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:38 PM

PICTURES!!!!
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
Hahha I pushed mine in and it got lost
Haha! That happened to me too! I am just going to leave it as is and not replace it.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

I thought since it has its on senor it would be very accurate.. unlike mech. ones? but when hooking up the sending try to make the vaccum line close as possblie to the source, to the sender unit it self
Old Dec 12, 2005, 03:14 PM

if u pushed the gromet in the car and lost it, chances are, it went behind the plastic kickplate thing. if u pull off the plastic door sill, and kinda pull it back, the gromet will just kinda roll out in front of you. that happened to me. ill try and post a pic.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Old Dec 12, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ksattic
Here are the 05 specs from mitsu, assuming the car is perfectly stock.

Boost Press (WOT/3500) 20.31 psi
Boost Press (WOT/6500) 17.40 psi

Quick Reply: Installed Defi BF boost gauge, hints & questions