Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

winter engine warm up evo vs 911

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2005, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowride
From Exxon Mobil via some NASCAR "Crew Chief" who seems to know what he's talking about:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/051207/20051207005048.html?.v=1

Vehicle Warm-up

When starting a vehicle in cold weather, be sure to allow the engine to idle for a few seconds before driving off. Why? Because doing so will ensure proper oil flow and lubrication. That said, don't allow the engine to idle for a prolonged period after start-up in cold weather. All this does is waste fuel. It doesn't do anything to warm drive-train components. After starting your car and allowing it to idle for a short time, just drive easily for several miles to ensure proper vehicle warm-up.
This is exactly what I do. No idea why people idle for 3-4 minutes then also do another 10 mins of driving before boosting. I just do a few minutes of easy driving, then it's all warmed up and ready to rock.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with the 30 seconds and then drive off and take it easy for the first few miles. Extended idling to warm up is not good because the engine is running very rich dumping fuel in the cylinders; it will warm up much quicker under moderate load.

260,000 miles on this method in a 4G63 (not rebuilt) and still going strong. Anyone have more miles? I pulled the oil pan to reseal it at 250,000 and removed the #3 main cap to inspect the bearing and it looked like brand new. It was amazing.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 06:53 AM
ez
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agan...yes. Turbo or not. Idle long enough to circulate oil, then gentle driving until up to operating temp. Example: Gentle driving below 3K until you are ready to let the turbo spin on warm oil...standard practice.

Originally Posted by Slowride
From Exxon Mobil via some NASCAR "Crew Chief" who seems to know what he's talking about:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/051207/20051207005048.html?.v=1

Vehicle Warm-up

When starting a vehicle in cold weather, be sure to allow the engine to idle for a few seconds before driving off. Why? Because doing so will ensure proper oil flow and lubrication. That said, don't allow the engine to idle for a prolonged period after start-up in cold weather. All this does is waste fuel. It doesn't do anything to warm drive-train components. After starting your car and allowing it to idle for a short time, just drive easily for several miles to ensure proper vehicle warm-up.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the way i warm up my engine is drive to let it warm up
i dont go beyond 3k during warm up just kept in 2nd since i have about 5 min drive b4 i reach the street i just stay 25mph in the neighborhood