Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Blow Off Valve for EVO questions...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2003, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SouthernCrane
Where can you get an HKS BOV for EVO VII like WING240 did?
the place I get it from can sell it to you for 250, plus shipping and 3% listed is 320, it's the CT9A kit HKS.
Greddy kit for 210.

And I don't make any profit on that. just ask taiwanevo
Old Mar 25, 2003, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

I am guessing these are the parts people would be looking for..

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...k=yes&dept=102

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...k=yes&dept=102

The first is the HKS SSQV Blowoffvalve for 216 dollars and the recirculation kit for 36 dollars. From what I have read these parts should do it, but if I am wrong please correct me. Might be better prices somewhere else, not really sure.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Nice, Wings can you confirm that those are the correct parts?
Old Mar 25, 2003, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Wing240, any link to a website or a phone number on where to buy the EVO VII HKS BOV kit, becaue it's not on their website. Does HKS USA have the EVO VII one? I know they have the Eclipse one.

Last edited by SouthernCrane; Mar 25, 2003 at 06:32 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Wing240, any link to a website or a phone number on where to buy the EVO VII HKS BOV kit, becaue it's not on their website. Does HKS USA have the EVO VII one? I know they have the Eclipse one.
I don't have the invoice infront of me, yes, they don't have the part number on hksusa website, but the part number is same in japan and us. also, the evo 7 haness also fits.. for the TT.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

HKS-1421-SM4US .... Thats not the one?
Old Mar 25, 2003, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by wing240

I don't have the invoice infront of me, yes, they don't have the part number on hksusa website, but the part number is same in japan and us. also, the evo 7 haness also fits.. for the TT.
I am not sure if I can do this but you can call anthony at 6263080882 and tell him Wing told you to call. And they can give you that price. I found out for HKS, it's not the same partnumber as the eclipse is 1421-sm4us, and the one I got for evo vii is 1421-sm009. Good luck.

p.s take out the battery will save you lots of time when you doing the installation.

Wing
Old Mar 25, 2003, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Do you know of a recirculation pipe that will also fit the JDM E7 and USDM E8? Will both Type-1 and Type-0 HKS TT fit the USDM E8?
Old Mar 25, 2003, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by WannaRace
Do you know of a recirculation pipe that will also fit the JDM E7 and USDM E8? Will both Type-1 and Type-0 HKS TT fit the USDM E8?
don't know about the ssqv recirculation pipe, mind vents to the air and don't notice any difference. yes, the tt works fine
Old Mar 25, 2003, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Blow Off Valve for EVO questions...

Originally posted by Daveyd
1. Is it "necessary"?
No not really... Your better spending your money on other mods.

2. Will it improve performance?
No, just make cool noises.

3. Will one void the warranty?
Most probably, depending on dealer.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 05:09 PM

Since the Greddy Type-S BOV for the eclipse (95-99) works, that means all BOV kits for that car will work on the EVO VIII right....

Anyone know what colors the Greddy Type-S BOV comes in?
The only ones I have seen are the purple topped Greddy Type-S. Not that great...

ANd overall, I can't recommned AGAINST the Type-S enough. I've owned a few high powered DSMs, and have tried out a few different BOV's. THe best overall, most convenient for daily driving, and most consistent BOV I decided to stay with was the standard 1stGen eclipse/talon BOV. You can buy these from Mitsu dealers for like $75ish. Ugly, not shiney and purple, not all that obnoxiously loud, but they hold boost perfectly, and get the job done. You could paint it whatever color you want as well. Unless you plan to exceed 22psi, this BOV will be enough for you.
I actually went through two greddy Type-S's, costing like $220 each. The first one actually stripped it's adjustment screw, and shot out when I was on the highway, leaving an open hole in the BOV, causing a crazy air leak and loss of all boost. The aluminum threading wears out quickly, it's just not a durable product IMO. Plus it sounds like some squealing dolphin noise. The HKS is better from what I hear. Also TIAL makes quality BOV's and wastegates, and Blitz is good as well.
Damn I need a 4G63 again...
Old Apr 15, 2003, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by EvoInGR
Unless you plan to exceed 22psi, this BOV will be enough for you.
Is 22psi the highest you can go on a 1g DSM BOV??

I thought you could "crush" it to hold more boost than that??
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:38 AM

A blow off valve is used to expell manifold pressure. It will give you no performance gains and will only protect the turbo.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

It will give you performance gains if the stock BOV begins to leak out pressure under higher boost.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 02:09 AM

I think the question would be is the evo blow off valve really leaking boost at stock 19 psi or will it take more. Before I just go out and buy a blow off valve and spend 200+ I would want to see the dyno results of the stock one versus an aftermarket one. My bet would be that an externally venting one would loose hp and an recuirculating one would yeild no more hp on a stock Evo. The only way I believe it would yield more hp would be on a very upgraded Evo. In most cases a BOV = rice mod. Only on very highly moddified turbo cars is it nessesary. I would like to see a dyno comparison if someone has one of stock versus aftermarket.