Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What harnesses can be setup for rear seatbelt anchors & unclipped for daily driving?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What harnesses can be setup for rear seatbelt anchors & unclipped for daily driving?

I'm looking for all 4pt harness setups that can be setup by bolting the shoulder harnesses to the rear seatbelt anchors or clipped into the rear seatbelt female ends. I'm also wanting the 2 rear pts to connect to 1 solid point, which clips into another point and then V's into the front seat.

I know Scroth Rallye 4's are a perfect example of what I want... but I can't find any for cheap (at the price I want)... sooo, I was wondering if there's any other brands that make this same configuration... or where I could buy some Schroth harnesses for cheap?

BTW, yes, I am fully aware of the dangers that come with driving with harnesses at that angle.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.sparcousa.com/pharness_tuning.asp?id=374

I had a set of these in my old Honda, they worked pretty nicely. The only thing I don't like about 4/3 point harnesses is that when you tighten yourself in, the lapbelt part rides up...a 5 point would keep that from happening. Also, with these, there is no "slack"...when it 's tight. it's tight. Not like the factory belts that have some play so you can move around a bit. The Scroth belts have this feature though
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think i saw someone mention that having a harness setup like that may be dangerous if your invovled in a roll over. Is this correct?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

That Sparco harness is a 3pt, not a 4pt... but yea, you get the idea I'm trying to give.

Yes, it can be very dangers in a roll-over event using harnesses and blah blah blah. Like I said, I'm fully aware of the dangers.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joeymia
i think i saw someone mention that having a harness setup like that may be dangerous if your invovled in a roll over. Is this correct?
What they are talking about is the "submarine" effect. a 4 point seatbelt will hold you in your seat, but if you hit something strait on, or a rollover, you could actually come out underneath the belt, or it will stop on your chest (half-submarine) and crush your internals, ie lacerated liver. I have the sparco 4 point. a 5 point which will go from the belt over the family Jewels, and prevent that type of incident from happening. so a 5 pt. is safer than a 4 pt.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

I left my OEM belts in also, and bolted the brackets over the OEM with the sparcos, so I can use one or the other.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

rallye 4's are like $160? thats too much to spend on a quality harness?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
What they are talking about is the "submarine" effect. a 4 point seatbelt will hold you in your seat, but if you hit something strait on, or a rollover, you could actually come out underneath the belt, or it will stop on your chest (half-submarine) and crush your internals, ie lacerated liver. I have the sparco 4 point. a 5 point which will go from the belt over the family Jewels, and prevent that type of incident from happening. so a 5 pt. is safer than a 4 pt.
Except then when you roll over and the roof collapses, your body cant crumple downwards and it crushes your neck. With a rollbar, a 5-point is more safe.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mikey52
Except then when you roll over and the roof collapses, your body cant crumple downwards and it crushes your neck. With a rollbar, a 5-point is more safe.
yes, and the poster knows that. the schroth's have ASM (anti-submarine), basically, a piece that will brake under a heavy hit (is always on the inside shoulder, and will keep you from submarining.

everyone knows the dangers of not having a rollbar/cage. For the complete amatuer that does it once or twice a year though, it doesn't make sense to put a bar in, plain and simple.

With a stock seatbelt, you'd be all OVER the place.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mikey52
Agreed!
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aresix6
http://www.sparcousa.com/pharness_tuning.asp?id=374

I had a set of these in my old Honda, they worked pretty nicely. The only thing I don't like about 4/3 point harnesses is that when you tighten yourself in, the lapbelt part rides up...a 5 point would keep that from happening. Also, with these, there is no "slack"...when it 's tight. it's tight. Not like the factory belts that have some play so you can move around a bit. The Scroth belts have this feature though
i also had the same setup in my honda, and the lap belt did ride up!
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ct9a gsr
I'm looking for all 4pt harness setups that can be setup by bolting the shoulder harnesses to the rear seatbelt anchors or clipped into the rear seatbelt female ends. I'm also wanting the 2 rear pts to connect to 1 solid point, which clips into another point and then V's into the front seat.

I know Scroth Rallye 4's are a perfect example of what I want... but I can't find any for cheap (at the price I want)... sooo, I was wondering if there's any other brands that make this same configuration... or where I could buy some Schroth harnesses for cheap?

BTW, yes, I am fully aware of the dangers that come with driving with harnesses at that angle.
Try eBay and get what you really want! I got one helluva deal on one for my 2000 Celica GTS from a competition BMW driver. It moved to my 03 Evo perfectly and works great!
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
you should read these links

http://www.soloracer.com/harnschrothfaq.html
http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/SchrothASMII.wmv <- video right click save as...

I think what the original poster is looking for is the scroth "quick fit" harnesses, however, there does not seem to be an application for the mitsubishi. But I am willing to bet that the subaru kit would fit just fine, I am assuming that all Japanese built cars use the same basic OEM seatbelt design.

I guess you could get in touch with Roadraceengineering.com to see if they have tried to get one of those quick fit harnesses work in an EVO.

Last edited by chrisw; Dec 30, 2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
you should read this link

http://www.soloracer.com/harnschrothfaq.html

I think what the original poster is looking for is the scroth "quick fit" harnesses, however, there does not seem to be an application for the mitsubishi. But I am willing to bet that the subaru kit would fit just fine, I am assuming that all Japanese built cars use the same basic OEM seatbelt design.

I guess you could get in touch with Roadraceengineering.com to see if they have tried to get one of those quick fit harnesses work in an EVO.
theres not, and i have one sole reason for it. to install them, and use them as designed, you have to undo one of the clips, as we have 2 holes for belts, where (for example) the rsx has one, the thing slides through, easy.

to get it through ours, you have to do a 10 second disassembly of the little plastic tightener piece. Not hard at all, but a good reason why they wouldn't have an application for us.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
rallye 4's are like $160? thats too much to spend on a quality harness?
Thats what i use