Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Event Data Recording aka blackbox?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2006, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Event Data Recording aka blackbox?

I was just skimming through my owners manual when I noticed
Event Data Recording. (Pg. 2-35)

"Your vehicle is equipped with an "EDR" - Event Data Recorder which is
Capable of collecting and storing data in the even of an air bag deployment.

The EDR may record the following information:
- Condition of specific vehicle systems;
- Diagnostic codes.

I did a search under "Black Box" and "Event Data Recording" and found nothing so forgive me if this topic has been covered.

As I was reading posts about fellow members getting their warranties revoked,
I thought of the EDR. Do you guys think they could use it to void your warranties?
It seems like it only works when the air bags are deployed, but since it doesn't know when they are deployed, it must be constantly measuring "the condition
Of the specific Vehicle."

This reminds me of an ariticle in SCC where someone was booked on charges due to the info in their car's equipped black box.

BTW, I know the EDR is in the IX, not sure about the other models. What do you guys think of it?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cloud
I was just skimming through my owners manual when I noticed
Event Data Recording. (Pg. 2-35)

"Your vehicle is equipped with an "EDR" - Event Data Recorder which is
Capable of collecting and storing data in the even of an air bag deployment.

The EDR may record the following information:
- Condition of specific vehicle systems;
- Diagnostic codes.

I did a search under "Black Box" and "Event Data Recording" and found nothing so forgive me if this topic has been covered.

As I was reading posts about fellow members getting their warranties revoked,
I thought of the EDR. Do you guys think they could use it to void your warranties?
It seems like it only works when the air bags are deployed, but since it doesn't know when they are deployed, it must be constantly measuring "the condition
Of the specific Vehicle."

This reminds me of an ariticle in SCC where someone was booked on charges due to the info in their car's equipped black box.

BTW, I know the EDR is in the IX, not sure about the other models. What do you guys think of it?
To my knowledge the vast majority of them only record the last few moments that the car is powered-up, onstantly overwritting old info. When the airbags deploy, the car automatically powers off, and the last bit of information is retained in the edr. So more than likely, its not going to be able to tell a dealership you blew some code or did something with your car days or months back. They really are intended to only reconstruct an accident, where the only thing that matters is the last few seconds, maybe a minute.

Last edited by Mercenary3; Jan 17, 2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, now that I think about it, I did hear an Evo story where someone was denied warranty on a blown motor b/c the shop claimed they had data proving he over-revved the engine. Now im not sure if that info is contained in the ECU as well, but.....hmmm....maybe it was more myth than reality.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
The EDR can also be used against you in a court of law if you get an accident ... I wonder if you can disable it?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by M3this
The EDR can also be used against you in a court of law if you get an accident ... I wonder if you can disable it?
+1

I also want to get rid of it
Old Jan 18, 2006, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

I guess if you disabled the EDR and when something happen and if you to confront the case with court, you will lose the case as you disabled a recording device that the factory put in there for reasons.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 05:28 AM
Account Disabled

they record the last 10 seconds of the tramatic event, or sudden changes in speed or something in that line to record what happened to your car before the accident.

Courts already used these devices on the chryslers to put people in jail, which is still up for constitutional violation...
Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Yea there was a big thing on this here in Nevada that the dealer has to give you warning ... all GM cars with Onstar have EDRs ... and people where not being told about them. I think it should be up to you if you want this in your car or not and the factory should allow you to disable it if you dont want it.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bd307
I guess if you disabled the EDR and when something happen and if you to confront the case with court, you will lose the case as you disabled a recording device that the factory put in there for reasons.
No, you just simply say its against my rights, and i never agreed to have this put on my car.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cloudy
No, you just simply say its against my rights, and i never agreed to have this put on my car.
You maybe right in a way, but you basically accept their product by buying it. Once you purchased or least the car, you accepted their product.

Personally, I am not sure if it would against anyone's right, but nowdays, everything that you accept to use, you automatically accept their terms and conditions whether you notice or not.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

crazy i wasnt aware of this?! next thing you know you wont even be able to drive ur cars in 10 years from now
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

any OBD-II car has this feature, this is nothing new
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo542
any OBD-II car has this feature, this is nothing new
Not true ... only certain cars have this... by Nevada state law it has to let you know in the owners manuel.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 09:26 PM

Almost, if not all cars, have this. It's also called deep memory. I can remember back in '92, way before OBD II, a car where the factory came in to retrieve the data. I'm a dealer tech, not Mitsu. I wouldn't be too concerned. It's there to protect the manufacture's from lying customers and insurance companies. For example, "the airbag went off and THEN I hit the tree." Or, " the car accelerated all by itself, the harder I pushed the brake the faster it went". And the ever popular, "I hit the brakes and nothing happened". By logging all the signals they can defend themselves from lawsuits.
What I would be concerned is the plan to have the ECU's broadcast a signal to roadside receivers when you have a check engine light. This way Uncle Sam can tax us more and the environmentalist's can make themselves feel better about saving the earth. This is already in the works. The manufacturer's are already preparing by programming the VINs into the ECU.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 09:56 PM

I heard from the Mitsubishi service here in Oregon that 06 models and up will have the data recorder. AKA OBD3 I dont know how true this is, but that is what they told me when I was looking at there 06 Evo 9

Quick Reply: Event Data Recording aka blackbox?