Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Maximun Boost for a Stock Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Maximun Boost for a Stock Evo 8

Hi i am from Venezuela and i have to congrats the persons how write and read this forum, this is the only forum that really says important information for the Evo entusiast and really help some peaple like me.

I have a evo 8 03 with air intake hks, down pipe hks, cam gears 270 hks, hks idle stabilizer, tanabe exaust and a reflash ecu, my question is simple y have a manual boost controler want to know how much boost can i give to my car without hurt my engine.

I know that the stock boost go from 19psi and than go down to 16psi, what is the recomended boost can i put in my car?

Sorry for my english is not to good but i do what i can...

Thanks for all your help.

Carlos De Abreu
Venezuela
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First of all, you don't have a stock Evo 8. Secondly, it's not your mods that determine how much boost you can run - it's the octane of your fuel. 21-22psi on 93oct is fine, but I don't know what you use on a daily basis.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Well if the car was flashed then it just might be programmed to a higher boost level.. You have to know wether or not the boost limits have been raised, or if you have proper fuel upgrades.. But you can run a good 23psi boost on 93 octane on a daily basis.. If ur boost settings are still stock (factory settings) you can bump it up to about 21-1/2 before you hit fuel cuts.. Hope this helps..
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

He won't hit fuel cut with a flash, unless it's an Ecutek.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:24 AM

Ok the daily octane of gas here is 95 but went i go to the drag pist i put 113octane gas.

My question is more like this, i wnat to know how is the maximun boost i can get with my evo with the fuel bomb stock and the inyectors stock?

Thanks.

Please help me here in venezuela theres only 3 evos in all the country two 8 and one 6.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
He won't hit fuel cut with a flash, unless it's an Ecutek.

Yeah I know what you mean.. It's just I know some wierdo's that left their boost levels stock after a flash!!??

Max boost out of the stock turbo with race gas should be around 28psi, with proper fuel upgrades (injectors, pump, etc)..

Stock injectors and pump...?? HHmmm... I dunno really... I wouldn't try it without a wideband...
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Question

since your ecu is flashed, you can try 23-24 PSI (1.58-1.65 BAR). u should also get a wideband O2 to monitor your air/fuel. then you can turn the boost up until you get to an air/fuel ratio of 11.5:1. what kind of ECU reflash do you have??????
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by housedj
since your ecu is flashed, you can try 23-24 PSI (1.58-1.65 BAR). u should also get a wideband O2 to monitor your air/fuel. then you can turn the boost up until you get to an air/fuel ratio of 11.5:1. what kind of ECU reflash do you have??????
I will really have to ask because i buy this car from anoter person and the ecu was ready reflash y put the other parts but the ecu was allready flashed.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know if that's 95RON or what, but you should still try 21-22psi on a daily basis. At the track on race gas, you can run 25psi or so, but I wouldn't do it without a fuel pump upgrade and no way to tune for it. You are tuned only for regular pump gas, not race gas, so you need to either get a few more things or don't mess with race gas. You should definitely get a fuel pump, but don't mess with injectors. The problem, though, is that if you add a fuel pump now, you will need a reflash. To make full use of race gas and increased boost, you will need a tuning device like an SAFC, but also a wideband o2 and pocketlogger in order to properly tune.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:44 AM

i have a AEM engine managen system ecu in his box but i dont want to mount yet, because here in venezuela no much peaple know how to program that ecu...

The problem is this car is ma daily car and i dont want to loose the originality of the car you know i want some more power but not sacrifie the confort.

Sorry i dont speak very well english and some things i dont know how tell it...
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

23-24 psi max on a stock turbo
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Add meth injection and let it spike to 30psi hehe
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem is this car is ma daily car and i dont want to loose the originality of the car

Do not go over 22psi(1.5Bar) then.

I'm from south america too.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Carlos,

You are lucky you are from Venezuela, you can probably get the best gas there very cheap. Anyway, moving to the subject, TTP-engineering claims that they had hit up to 34PSI on their stock Evo 8 MR turbo, I personally ran 30PSI peak and I normally run anywhere from 22PSI at red line to 28PSI steady on 4th 5th and 6th geras under full loads.

Keep in mind I am running alcohol. It really depends on your mods and your tempetarure and altitude. On the last note, the 03 turbo seems to handle just a little less than the 05 Evo turbo. I would say , you can run 21-23PSI safe

my .2c

Carlos
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:02 PM

Many thanks for all thats has anwers my question i will keep all your advice in mind, i will try to put the boost stedy in 21-22psi to see the direfent. i hope the engine dont blow.

i have a snowperformance boost cooler but is mounted in my other car a ford mustang gt 2000 supercharged with 18psi, i am thinking in mounting in the evo.

The mustang is my drag car thats i dont want to meest to much with my evo because is my daily car.

one again Thanks all.

Quick Reply: Maximun Boost for a Stock Evo 8