Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lessons learned, EVO 101

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lessons learned, EVO 101

I have been reading and searching this site since I found it shortly after getting my Evo. I consider myself a car enthusiast and the Evo has more performance than any car I have owned, had a few performance cars (350Z, IS300, TL, Miatas, TSX, Civic SI to name a few). I know many of you here have had M3s, Corvettes and other exotics, but are still drawn to the EVO. I just wanted to share my thoughts after 8 months and about 9,000 miles. Here are my "lessons learned"

1. Visit Evolutionm before you buy your EVO. Still kicking myself over BR350 sold backed by dealer . There are many on this site who have lots of experiend and are very helpful.

2. Search, search and search (yeah, this is probably a repeat thread )

3. The Evo is about performance, not luxury. There are many that criticize the dash, paint, and squeaks. Yes, some of these are aggravations, but this car is built for performance. Basically a toned down, street legal rally car. I have had my fair share of squeeks and rattles and drivetrain noises, but I have just kept in mind that this is a serious machine, not your average 4 door family car. Oddly, I laugh about some of these issues, I just remeber this car is about raw perfromance, and for the money and purpose, nothing comes close but the STI.

4. This was my first Mitu purchase, I had been used to Honda reliabliltiy and was concerned. The 10 year "powertrain" helps ease my mind (do a search about Mitu denying claims and the scandals though). Luckily, my dealership has been very good. Had no major issues, only Intercooler recall (fitting) and a few nit picky things.

5. Brake squeal, especially after setting overnight and backing out of garage, I have had them checked and cleaned, but assume it is just the performance pads. Goes away after a short drive, then I remeber "Raw"

6. Don't forget to clean around your tail pipe (bumper body). I forgot to clean that area and it is soot covered and is not going to come off easily. I have a stock exhaust. It is hidden, but a simple clean would have prented.

7. Have had to adjust my diving style, specifically with the clutch. This is my first AWD and l joke with the wife about driving EVO style after she has been in the S2000. No gear slamming in this puppy, you learn to shift fast smooth, not slambangin style as in civics in my youth. Speaking of clutch, I like to search "clutch" when board. The first few I read worried me, then I saw the mileage of several other that would be in the neighborhood of a normal failure. If all you like to do is mod and launch, you probably will need a clutch sooner than most. I would love to compare the Evos clutch to any car's clutch after some drag stip laucnhes. My opinion would be that if you launched your average family car down the strip as many as an EVO, driver doing correctly, both would fail sooner than an average clutch on that vehicle (obvisouly more stress with EVO, AWD and turbo, but point remains)

8. Gas mileage, I actually average around 22 miles to the gallon. Some do more, some do less. I have had as high as 27 (rarely) and low around 20. Typical has been 22mpg.

9. Tires, my stock Advans had 6,000 miles when I purchase all-season for winter (Kumho ASX after reading lots of threads-there are better and worse choices). The dealership could not belive how much tread I had. I read several stating they had to replace after 10,000 miles or less. It boils down to your driving style. I don't drive hard, but I do an occasional spirited run. I estimate I will get close to 20,000 miles out of the Advans.

10. Insurance and maintenance cost. Sure they are higher than your average family car, but for the level of perfromance, I don't think it is bad. It's not cheap, synthetic oil, insurance is high (yeah search that one), and the requist all season or snow tires. Price shop your dealer for service, I have mine done for $50.00 (at dealer). It is not cheap (could do yourself cheaper), but they charged $80-$90 normally.

11. Finally, if you have not fallen asleep reading, Love and Respect this beast. If you drive it like you stole it, be careful. I cringe when I see anohter post about an accident. I'm sure that contributed to the recent insurance spikes also. If you want to see what it is capable of watch the professionals do it or get some serisous driving instuctions and unleash this beast on a track.

A big thank you once again to all that have helped with several of my questions and for posting your experiences on this site.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

nice write up, thanx..
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i buy my own oil from walmart for 25$ then have the dealer do my oil change for 15$...
Old Feb 26, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, I forgot to mention remebering the cool down after being in the turbo. I suppose this would be number 12.

Any others want to ad some 101 for us all (in general)?
Old Feb 26, 2006, 04:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
be careful where ya speed...the wing is a magnet for cops!
Old Feb 26, 2006, 04:25 PM
Account Disabled

13. When asking for a mod list, dont post a thread, there is a link in Warrtalon's sig.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Nice write up. A+
thanks
Old May 8, 2006, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

Costco for Mobil 1, works out to 4.99 a Quart. no tax, since I have tax emept