Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Max horsepower on 91 oct(bolt ons only)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why The Hell Are You Spending 3k On A Transmission? Have You Ever Heard Of Shepard Racing?? If Not, Go To Shepracing.com. You Can Upgrade Your Trans For $850 And The Transfer Case For $350. That Is The Same Setup Ams Uses In Their Shop Car.

You Don't Need A Racing Trans With That Horsepower Level. If In Doubt Ask Me.
Im On Pump Gas, Methanol, And The Following Mods Below.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 04:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Swift_OwL
You can say that bout almost any mod, with almost any mod it allows you to tune more agreesively. So I would say it is the alk kit that adds hp.
People, water injection does not equal alky injection.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Not even with water injection? I'm sure you can get quite close on a IX with all the bolt-ons, if not all the way to 400...
LOL! Warrtalon u are wrong. GT 35 rs struggle with 2.3s on our gas to obtain them numbers.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

I made 350whp on 91 octane with a ****ton of bolton's including AEM EMS tuned by Scot Gray, using stock turbo with 10.5 housing. It's hard to make anything past 410-420whp even with a GT35R, 91 sucks really bad.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IE Evo
LOL! Warrtalon u are wrong. GT 35 rs struggle with 2.3s on our gas to obtain them numbers.
GT35s can't run much boost on 91, and they don't make much power without a lot of boost.

We are talking about a stock turbo here that is using water injection to allow it to run more aggressive boost than normal on 91oct, which will put it in the sweet spot. No, not as much boost as alky, but still more than straight 91oct. So, if stock turbo'd 05s can put down 350whp on 91oct, then why would an 06 not be able to put down another 20-30whp like they are doing all over the country? Hell, they're doing upwards of 40-50whp more with the same mods as 05s and that's without any fuel or cooling aids. Add the WI on top of it, and I still think it's possible to get near 400whp with all the bolt-ons, including cams. Remember, this was a hypothetical guess based on when cams are actually available en masse, but the point still remains...

Yes, razorlab, it's all ricer math until someone does it, but this is my guess after seeing people do 355whp on 93oct with tbe/mbc/flash with IXs...
Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

why wont you just run alky??
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Yes, razorlab, it's all ricer math until someone does it, but this is my guess after seeing people do 355whp on 93oct with tbe/mbc/flash with IXs...
And what do they do on 91 octane with those mods?
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

GT35s can't run much boost on 91, and they don't make much power without a lot of boost.

We are talking about a stock turbo here that is using water injection to allow it to run more aggressive boost than normal on 91oct, which will put it in the sweet spot. No, not as much boost as alky, but still more than straight 91oct. So, if stock turbo'd 05s can put down 350whp on 91oct, then why would an 06 not be able to put down another 20-30whp like they are doing all over the country? Hell, they're doing upwards of 40-50whp more with the same mods as 05s and that's without any fuel or cooling aids. Add the WI on top of it, and I still think it's possible to get near 400whp with all the bolt-ons, including cams. Remember, this was a hypothetical guess based on when cams are actually available en masse, but the point still remains...

I agree that he should stay with the stock turbo but 400/400 on 91 oct and WI is not happening. 370-380 whp would be a feat. Ask Al about our putride gas. Also I do not like to base predictions on one strong car. That's Busch league to me. Pun intended.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:03 AM

GT35's can run 24-25psi max on 91 octane. 500hp on 91 pump is very doable, hell I hit 474hp 429tq at tuning tech just a couple of weeks ago, with 4 month old Arco ****. However, I don't think a stock turbo with just bolt ons will hit 400 on 91, but it might be possible.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
And what do they do on 91 octane with those mods?
I don't know; they don't have 93oct in those parts of the country. Shiv claims to make tons of power on 91oct on his DD, though, so I wouldn't expect those numbers to be too far off. Plus, whatever it is on 91oct, add all the extra bolt-ons (cams, mani, o2, licp, fmic) plus the WI and you're again sneaking up on 400. May not get 40X whp, but I'm thinking it will get close.

IE, you keep forgetting we're talking about IXs. You have to let go of what the VIIIs did and start thinking in terms of IXs. I was not basing predictions off one car either. The TT IX that hit 11.9 @ 116mph only had tbe/mbc/flash. Then, the Dynoflash car dynoed 355/355 just yesterday. That's 2 separate IXs on different dynos with different tuners, but the same mods. It's becoming more the norm than the exception, much to my chagrin.

Sloevo, you have a 2.4 and god knows what else. Typically, GT35s have trouble making that much power on only 24psi with 91oct and no alky...
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:17 AM
EvoM Guru

I don't know; they don't have 93oct in those parts of the country. Shiv claims to make tons of power on 91oct on his DD, though, so I wouldn't expect those numbers to be too far off. Plus, whatever it is on 91oct, add all the extra bolt-ons (cams, mani, o2, licp, fmic) plus the WI and you're again sneaking up on 400. May not get 40X whp, but I'm thinking it will get close.
more ricer math.

IE, you keep forgetting we're talking about IXs. You have to let go of what the VIIIs did and start thinking in terms of IXs. I was not basing predictions off one car either. The TT IX that hit 11.9 @ 116mph only had tbe/mbc/flash. Then, the Dynoflash car dynoed 355/355 just yesterday. That's 2 separate IXs on different dynos with different tuners, but the same mods. It's becoming more the norm than the exception, much to my chagrin.
You seem to forget we are talking about 91 cali **** gas. Stop doing ricer math if you don't know what the IX's do on 91 cali **** gas with those mods you stated above. I don't really know either, I haven't been following it much. That's why I keep stating we will have to wait and see.

Clayton, please keep in mind that when I say ricer math, I am not directing that as a dig on you, it's just a statement. Bench racing / guessing with data points outside of California is worthless, all of us Californians learned this a long long time ago.

Why do I keep bringing up California? The original poster lives in Sacramento, CA.

Last edited by razorlab; Mar 3, 2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Sloevo, you have a 2.4 and god knows what else. Typically, GT35s have trouble making that much power on only 24psi with 91oct and no alky...
I am thinking IXs. I would be happy with 400/400 on 100 octane with the right bolt-ons. I just do not think 400 whp is doable on 91 oct even on the IX.
Yeah Jimmy I agree with Warr concerning ur car. It is in the over the top category.
Warr, maybe with a crazy AEM tune in the unsafe to drive regularly mode will 400 whp be reached on 91 oct. If I am wrong (i hope i am) I will go get a IX ASAP.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=Warrtalon]country. Shiv claims to make tons of power on 91oct on his DD, though, so I QUOTE]

Shiv got close to 300 whp(295 whp) with 91 oct TBE/Flash. That equals 330-340 whp on DJ. Throw the rest of the bolt-on into the mix including cams and I come up with about 330 whp on pump max( being optimistic). Race gas will likely put you over 350-360 whp(optimistic). Which is approx 370 whp on pump and 400 whp on race on DJ. Just speculation but more realistic IMO. Of course there will be those outliner cars that make a lil more or less but my predictions usually are fairly accurate.