Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Injen Intake 20+ HP, is this for real?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2006, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only way to get this much power out of an Injen Intake is if you combine it with an HKS SSQV and remain untuned.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The only way to get this much power out of an Injen Intake is if you combine it with an HKS SSQV and remain untuned.
hehe
Old Mar 27, 2006, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon

I totally agree, that's what I did. I was torn between a china made turbo on ebay and a SSQV, but I decided the SSQV was the better choice.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think there is any way on earth you'd get 22whp with that intake without a tune either. Heck.... i think you'd get 22whp with ONLY a tune.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 06:26 AM
S-1

ok, ok. So is there any proof/dyno numbers/timeslips, that an intake with cone filter like the Injen will yield better results (with a tune) versus the stock intake system (with a tune) given the same or similar A/F ratio?

I'm not skeptical, but just curious?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 06:50 AM
Former Sponsor

I highly doubt anyone has put this much into an intake by itself. I would be pretty confident in the Injen dyno sheets.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S-1
ok, ok. So is there any proof/dyno numbers/timeslips, that an intake with cone filter like the Injen will yield better results (with a tune) versus the stock intake system (with a tune) given the same or similar A/F ratio?

I'm not skeptical, but just curious?
You might ask over in the Vishnu forum, or send them a PM. I think they've done some testing like this, but I'm not sure.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:23 AM

hahaahh funny you should menchine that i have 1,300 in my intake manifold LOL, mangus, though similar i would not know about the differences inbetween the two BUT... mine is equipped with piranaha injectors, 5 solenoids for a setup where i can adjust everything independently, :P
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are two dyno charts of my car back when I just had a UTEC, TBE, cams, MBC, and the Injen kit. I later learned my AFRs were very rich (low to mid 10s) which is why my power is low for those mods. Injen's sniffer wideband was off (reading low), and my tuner's had been high.

The graphs in red are the Injen graphs (Intake and UICP kit). These were done in front of me on the Injen dyno on a very hot (95-100 deg) day. I watched them dyno with my stock intake and UICP, then quickly swap in the Injen kit (~20-30 mins) and dyno again. 3 runs on each setup.

The kit apparently caused a significant gain across the powerband, but the peak numbers are very similar. There was another graph of a 3rd run that I can't find which showed a greater peak gain. On one there appears to be a ~40 WHP gain at ~4-5000 rpm.
Attached Thumbnails Injen Intake 20+ HP, is this for real?-injen-1.gif   Injen Intake 20+ HP, is this for real?-injen-2.gif  
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
ok ok people on my car right off the bat no tuneing after i put the intake in my car it only gave me 11hp now after a street tune i got 23hp with it to this day its still on my car.

and adding to that the dyno pulls where done on the same day 35 mins apart.
Can you post the dyno sheet?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lbcevo
Injen's sniffer wideband was off (reading low), and my tuner's had been high.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

The thing is that if you are AFR is too rich, then the intake will give more power, but after a tune you should get more powe.
Now when you guys say 22 hp after a tune , How we know it was not the tune that gave the power?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Bahh, screw the intake! Just take that sucker off and use an hks ssqv. MAD POWA!
Old Mar 28, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Open Intake + Evo...

Greetings All,

One thing to remember about open intakes on the evo is that you can not compare dyno numbers to real world gains. The main reason is that you are on the dyno with the hood up and fans directed at the engine. There is one rule with open intakes. The second the air intake breathes air that is warmer than ambient, you will lose power, period. This has been tested time and time again. Now for drag racing, different issue. Driving on a road course, different issue. In daily driving, stop and go traffic, you underhood temperatures will reach upwards of 160 degrees. Doesn't take rocket science to realize what that would do to performance.

For what it is worth, that is my two cents.

Cheers,

Oliver Simons
WORKS
415-641-9675
osimons@worksmitsu.com
Old Mar 28, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Same old song and dance. If everyone is so worried about underhood temps, then why don't you just make your own cold air? It would be too easy, and I'm sure that by the time the air reached the MAF it would be smoothed out enough for it to continue reading correctly. Or... (gasp) Keep the stocker. I for one like a little "bling" so I don't care. But it would be interesting to actually see tuned stock vs. tuned not.

By the way, since when do you care about your power output in stop-and-go traffic? I'm lost.

Quick Reply: Injen Intake 20+ HP, is this for real?