Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

In car video camera mount for the evo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoryder
setups change
Indeed they do...
Old Apr 23, 2006, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I got a clamp mount at ChaseCam.com, then mounted it to the center child safety restraing latch on the rear deck above the back seat. Right in the middle, there is a plastic cover on top of the metal latch. I lifted the cover, then clamped right onto the metal piece. It's very sturdy and rigid - it does not move.

Here is a drag vid I got while using it:

http://bagelbitez.com/dcevoclub/Warr...12.4-Bandi.wmv (<- Right click and Save as)

I also used it during my autox the next day, but the turns are so tight that the angle from the rear with zoom is not proper. It should work awesome on the road course, though.
You got any pictures of that setup?
Old Apr 23, 2006, 05:03 PM
Account Disabled

I have a camera mount that uses a tri suction cup base and you can mount it literly anwere, from outside the car to the front windshield to the sun roof, it was about $60, you can even get a tether for it while mounting it outside the car...
Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

I have a suction cup mount, too. I got it with the clamp mount for $70 combined, but they didn't come with a tether, so I need to get one. There's no way I can use the suction cup mount on the front windshield, though, because of the angle of the windshield and how the camera mounts.

Pics of the rear clamp mount setup are en route...
Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

I'm emailing back and forth with Randy from www.chasecams.com and he said he has an idea using the bolt, but not necessarily the mounting bracket. I just emailed him back so I'll keep y'all posted. I might just end up the the suction cup mount with about a 6-8 in extension. That should work for both the front and rear glass. That would actually give me a little more versatility, but I think I like the view from behind the seat to show shifting and driver movement.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:22 PM
Account Disabled

What camera are you using, my sony dcr-hc42 fits on front windshield but its tight...
Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
I have the chase cam suction cup mount .... works great inside the car and out side.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

s2krn, let me know how that turns out, because all I really need is an extension like you mentioned. Right now, the camera is too close to the mount to put it on an inner windshield.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by M3this
I have the chase cam suction cup mount .... works great inside the car and out side.
M3this, do you mount yours on the front windshield of the back. I'd really llike to mount it behind the driver. But the suction cup would be nice to have the option of mounting it on the front or the back glass. Randy from chase cams told me he has a bracket that would basically mount where the child safety hook sits on the rear decklid. it has a camera mount and swivel attached to it. I'm not sure which would work better.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
s2krn, let me know how that turns out, because all I really need is an extension like you mentioned. Right now, the camera is too close to the mount to put it on an inner windshield.
Warrtalon on the chasecam site under the sm31 model which has a 3 in extension it mentions in the description that you can add additional extensions. I just used the email supplied on the site: info@chasecam.com and Randy emailed me back almost immediately. Very good customer service. I asked him which would be better for the Evo; either the suction cup set up on the rear window or using a mounting bracket that uses the child safety restraint bolt. We shall see.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
Originally Posted by s2krn
M3this, do you mount yours on the front windshield of the back. I'd really llike to mount it behind the driver. But the suction cup would be nice to have the option of mounting it on the front or the back glass. Randy from chase cams told me he has a bracket that would basically mount where the child safety hook sits on the rear decklid. it has a camera mount and swivel attached to it. I'm not sure which would work better.

Last Track day I mounted it to the rear window upside down ... an it came out pretty good. (had to filp it right side up with windows move maker)

Vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0e7BJCovH4

Today I mounted it to the windsheild on the passanger side ... it came out pretty good but havnt had a chance to edit it yet
Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

That's funny, M3this. I mounted my camera using the clamp mount hanging upside down from the rearview mirror, and it was PERFECT, but the vid was upside down, and after much searching, I found no way to flip it. Everywhere I saw the question asked, people said it would require a huge amount of processing power to do it. Then, a week later, a buddy of mine said he was able to figure it out on his personal computer, so it's good to hear that you can also do it with basic Movie Maker. If I can flip vids, then I will use my rearview with a tether on the camera. Sweet.

Here's a link to my new thread with the clamp mount on the safety restraing latch. s2krn, let me know if there is a different mount that ChaseCam has that's made for the latch.

My non-harness bar in-car camera mount (pics)
Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:09 PM
Account Disabled

yea if you get the extension you will be able to mount it on the windshield, the kit I got has the 6in extension and it works fine, I will try and snap some pics tomarrow...
Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

I've used a cheap alternative before, and it works well for most things. I doubt it would be legal to use in any sanctioned event...but it works great for quick tests and vids.

All I use is my tripod.

I place one leg (no extension) right in the middle of the rear seat. I then place 2 legs in the rear floorboards, extended to make the tripod somewhat level. The head of my tripod telescopes upward, so I place a small piece of foam (3"x3"x1") on the top of the camera, and crank the camera up to the headliner...then lock the jam nut tight.

Its great if you have a remote. My Canon Optura 200MC has a nice one...in which you can zoom, start / stop...pretty much everything from.

Works in a pinch...and is pretty solid.

Here's a clip of me and a buddy driving the Blue Ridge Parkway. I wanted to hear his new exhaust (sounds great). Tripod was mounted in the front seat (2 legs extended into the floorboard, one in the seat).

http://www.steven-laura.net/Steven/V...EVO_Tunnel.wmv

Here's a night time run I did trying to troubleshoot / log some studdering problem I had (ended up being a large LICP leak). I was pulling some decent Gs on the on ramp...camera is rock solid.

http://www.steven-laura.net/Steven/V...Evolution2.wmv
Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

m3this, that video turned out pretty good. Sounds like a hastle having to flip it, but who knows. I think that a flat plate bolted directly to the deck lid would keep the vibration in the camera view to a minimum. Probably the longer the extension on the suction cup mount the worse the camera is going to shake. I might just have to buy both and see what I think.

Quick Reply: In car video camera mount for the evo