Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My non-harness bar in-car camera mount (pics)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2006, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen guys use all sorts of mounts in NASA events, but I don't know the official rules. I run mine the way you see here in NASA HPDE.
Old May 29, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just recently started doing HPDE tech for NASA, and the camera has to be tethered to pass, at least in the OH/IN and Midwest regions. I'd imagine all the regions would have the same rules, but if they are enforced or not is a different story. I've also seen the suction cup mounts run outside the car with tape covering the edges of the cups; again with the camera tethered.
Old May 29, 2006, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know if its just me, but you shift VERY fast... I have always been a crap shifter, what did you run on that one?
Old May 29, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

A post I made in a different thread:

Anyway, I am looking to do something similar here... just got a nice, dedicated digital video camera (rather than using my old 'all-in-one' and getting barley decent vids) and looking to mount it.

Mounting a camera in my Eclipse was easy as pie. Because the headrest is adjustable and comes off, I just made something that sits in-between the seat and headrest. Basically, two pieces of wood that are perpendicular, one of which has two holes which the headrest slid into, then pinches the unit and holds it still. This is the best shot I have... and it works really well, and gets a good shot of the track as well as the tach. Obviously the seats are a little different in the Evo. Anyone try rigging something up that clamps/ wraps around to the two holes in the Evo's passenger seat to hold a camera, while not damaging the seats of course... ?
Old May 29, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

warrtalon, nice set up but a few days too late, we just got back from a track event on friday. I can't install a harness bar b/c of the baby seat but this is an awsome idea....hope you don't mind if I use this idea of yours too.

I like the suction cup idea but, it won't pass inspection at any track we may road race at and I'm affraid that the camera might fall in my lap when racing. Not allowed any unbolted objects in the cabin when on the track. It looks cool though
Old May 29, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Hah, I wasn't too late, ddubb - I made this thread in April. Too bad you missed it, but feel free to use the idea. That's why I posted the pics so that people would have the option to do it.

Hel_if_ino, yeah I can shift pretty fast now with the Exedy 4-puck. Each shift is a no-lift-shift, so it's very easy and quick. That run was a 12.30@107.99.
Old May 29, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Yea, I bumped an older thread because, you know, I actually use that little "Search" icon at the top
Old Jun 5, 2006, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No, I didn't try it on the others, since they aren't centered. I'm sure it would work, though.

The only part there is the clamp mount from ChaseCam.com...then my camera, but the mounting point is universal.
Is this http://www.chasecam.com/mounts-clamp.htm the mount you used?

Have you used the camera and that mount at an autox/track day? If so do you mind posting a video of that. I am curious to see how well the video would be being that the camera is so far back, unless you just didn't have the camera zoomed in during the drag race.

Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:14 AM

nice thats looks sweet. i been looking for a couple of these setups, as me and a friend are going to shoot a mini movie.

Carlo
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Impressive shifting! 4-puck you say?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8dad
Is this http://www.chasecam.com/mounts-clamp.htm the mount you used?

Have you used the camera and that mount at an autox/track day? If so do you mind posting a video of that. I am curious to see how well the video would be being that the camera is so far back, unless you just didn't have the camera zoomed in during the drag race.

Thanks
Yes, that is the clamp mount I'm using.

Yes, I have some auto-x and rally-x vids from that position, but they're not great, because the turns are so tight that you can't really see the course well. However, I think it will work fine on the road course later this week, because the turns aren't as frequent or as tight. It will be nice to show shifting and passing, too.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

I think I am going to try and make my own before my next AutoX similar to my set up in my Eclipse... but a little nicer. The passenger seat is a nice view point. You can rotate the camera to view as much of the track and or driver/ dash as you want as well as adjusting the seat as such. Hmmm... I'll have to CAD it up. Being a design engineer has its perks.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

I was thinking of making a mount that attaches to the harness belt pass thru slots on the seat but, it may become an issue for track events that require instructors (ie. FATT).

I like using the clamp mentioned earlier but, I am a little hesitant because of how far back it is from the front but, for only $40 its probably just worth buying and trying
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
how are you shifting?????. looking good.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Awe I knew you had a GG hehehehe you have great taste in color warr. Now godamit! you are supposed to hold my hand through the flash thingy hahahahha

Quick Reply: My non-harness bar in-car camera mount (pics)