Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

bought evo with non street legal parts

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jqturbo
Sorry, sounds like you should've studied more up on the car before purchasing it. Also sounds like the seller could've told you anything, and you would've gone along with it.
How exactly is the intake and BOV illegal? Maybe not having a CAT or having a particular manifold, but I'm in aww about that one.

Regardless, situation does suck. I'd take that Injen hook up if it's good. However, get more info from the seller on what exactly the car does have! Good luck!
intake is not concealing enough/back breath. and bov- vents to atmosphere
Old May 2, 2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Enyth
that is definately NOT an RS, especially it being an 03 in CA, power everything, and a wing. If you have black door handles then maybe (unless you have a black evo). Think someone lied to you or you heard wrong. anywho, sucks about the whole smog thing and that you JUST bought your car. Good luck

i do have a black evo! with black handels! i gunna tryn post pics, when i figure out how to. " help on posting pics"
Old May 2, 2006, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On 03 EVO, NO RS model, only one model ! You need to put the stock parts back, I don't think you can find a smog station on your list will do the favor for you, because those are not any smog station. Those station will NOT take your $50 and let you pass. Start try to find some stock parts here in for sale section. Thats the price if you live in CA and want to modify car ! I spary my aftermarket muffler in black, all downpipe,test pipe in silver, NO bling bling looks !!
Old May 2, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Rs never came in black, period, only white and red. Im sorry but after re-reading your comments, regardless of you never owning an Evo you really dont have your facts straight. I suggest you research your next big purchase before throwing money down....
Old May 2, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BOV and intake !!!!! lol he jsut screwed you

they are not illegal
Old May 2, 2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Rs never came in black, period, only white and red. Im sorry but after re-reading your comments, regardless of you never owning an Evo you really dont have your facts straight. I suggest you research your next big purchase before throwing money down....

honestly, i could careless wether its an RS, MR, IX, or nething else i kno what i wanted and i got it, i looked over the car b4 signing the paper work, i seen it had the JIC suspencion, GREDDY exhaust, GREEDY bov, and AEM intake........ i just didnt know the bov and intake was illegal, i guess that my fault for not knowing. no biggy, all im doing is asking for helpful suggestions.....
so, mybad for not knowing what model my evo is
Old May 2, 2006, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by r.m.s.
intake is not concealing enough/back breath. and bov- vents to atmosphere
Not concealing enough??! O k!

And a BOV venting into atmosphere, not good for an Evo, but illegal?? Still . Cali must have some crazy laws!
Old May 2, 2006, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

I say throw it back in the dealers face. If the car is in fact illegal, the dealer should not have been able to sell you this without proper disclosure. They should eat the money to fix your problem. Although you were ignorant to not know what you were buying, the dealership cant feed on ignorance by sellling illegal parts on a car.

Last edited by lancealott; May 2, 2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old May 2, 2006, 02:21 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

BOV and intake is illegal in California. The BOV vents to the atmosphere. It is considered a modification to the emissions equipment as you are venting air out that is not filtered by the catalytic converter. An intake without a CARB EO# is illegal. Any engine modifications is a big no-no. Even if your car is lowered too much, they will give you a ticket too. Pretty much they're looking for anything that isn't stock and they'll give you a ticket for it. After that it's up to you to get it cleared up. The cop can care less.

What is illegal on paper and what you can sometimes get away with is different though.

Last edited by ZK; May 2, 2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old May 2, 2006, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

California is out of control. Christ why dont the cops do SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE. Those open air filters sure are hurting society
Old May 2, 2006, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZK
BOV and intake is illegal in California. The BOV vents to the atmosphere and an intake without a CARB EO# is illegal. Any engine modifications is a big no-no. Even if your car is lowered too much, they will give you a ticket too. Pretty much they're looking for anything that isn't stock and they'll give you a ticket for it. After that it's up to you to get it cleared up. The cop can care less.

What is illegal on paper and what you can sometimes get away with is different though.
Wow! I'm glad I'm in FL!

Anyway, in that case, take it back to the dealer since they did sell it that way -- illegal.
Old May 2, 2006, 02:28 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jqturbo
Wow! I'm glad I'm in FL!

Anyway, in that case, take it back to the dealer since they did sell it that way -- illegal.
They keep a database of it all too. So if you have a past record of getting pulled over for modifications and/or traffic violations, chances are they will pull you over when they run your plate and see your file because you have a past history of offenses. Oh, and the fines increase each time you get pulled over. 1st offense = $, 2nd offense for same thing = $$ etc. hahaha, gotta love that.

Last edited by ZK; May 2, 2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old May 2, 2006, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

haha...i take it none of you have seen that video of "police training" where the guy in a civic gets pulled over and the cop discuses ...where and what to look at under the hood...ahahha...somebody got screwed...do a search for the video....funny as hell....oh btw...none of that stuff is illegal...its not stock but definatly not illegal...the car comes with an intake right? it also comes with a bov....we just aded aftermarket parts....u can try to fight it..sounds like an easy win....if u didnt live in cali, the police training video was a cali video hahaha...sucks bro...ill try to search and post the video haha sorry
Old May 2, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ZK
BOV and intake is illegal in California. The BOV vents to the atmosphere. It is considered a modification to the emissions equipment as you are venting air out that is not filtered by the catalytic converter. An intake without a CARB EO# is illegal. Any engine modifications is a big no-no. Even if your car is lowered too much, they will give you a ticket too. Pretty much they're looking for anything that isn't stock and they'll give you a ticket for it. After that it's up to you to get it cleared up. The cop can care less.

ditto everything in cali seems illegal now days....in chicago they dont give a damn about anything....but people in civics always get pulled over for yellow headlights ha ha...too funny what we get pulled over for....
Old May 2, 2006, 03:00 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SE7EN
ditto everything in cali seems illegal now days....in chicago they dont give a damn about anything....but people in civics always get pulled over for yellow headlights ha ha...too funny what we get pulled over for....
It's total BS though. I'd say 80% of the time they ticket for stuff that is deemed illegal but 20% they don't know crap and give you tickets for anything that looks out of the ordinary. "Oh, your valve cover is red, you changed the engine on your car. You installed a big wing on your car, it obstruts rear visibility..." There's been stories of people in STOCK Evos and STIs getting tickets for stock cars because the police thought they were modified.

They can also give you a ton of tickets for perfectly LEGAL stuff like a K&N CARB approved filter, a CARB approved header, and a cat-back exhaust that meets the sound limit.

Then you have to waste your time to go to a state referee station to get it all checked off and pay a "processing fee". So if the cop wants to be a dick, he can ticket you for everything in the book and then you have to waste your time getting it cleared.

So we're all guilty until proven innocent.

Quick Reply: bought evo with non street legal parts