Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

bought evo with non street legal parts

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2006, 03:06 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SE7EN
haha...i take it none of you have seen that video of "police training" where the guy in a civic gets pulled over and the cop discuses ...where and what to look at under the hood...ahahha...somebody got screwed...do a search for the video....funny as hell....oh btw...none of that stuff is illegal...its not stock but definatly not illegal...the car comes with an intake right? it also comes with a bov....we just aded aftermarket parts....u can try to fight it..sounds like an easy win....if u didnt live in cali, the police training video was a cali video hahaha...sucks bro...ill try to search and post the video haha sorry
I looked for the san diego street racing training video, it's been removed. I hope someone downloaded and saved it. That was a good watch. It is funny, sad and insulting at the same time.
Old May 2, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

you say you have an rs yet your profile says gsr... rs wasnt an option back then. the guy that had the car before you was smoking something.... the option was moonroof back then. other than that power and hids and all came standard
Old May 2, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

wow.. and i thought not moving to cali for the 91 **** gas was bad enough
Old May 2, 2006, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

if you need a stock airbox and bov i can help you out for cheap just pm me. that way if this happens you will have it as a spare...

PJ
Old May 2, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah...Cali is horrible with their car modification rules...and I am going there next month...Jeez...I wonder if they mess with cars registered out of state as much as they do with those from the state? Can anyone shine some light on that?
Old May 2, 2006, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

may I ask what you were doing to get yourself pulled over anyway?
Old May 2, 2006, 03:26 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Well, look on the bright side. California has good weather for the most part, if you're single there's tons of single people here, the night life is always happening every day of the week (assuming you're in LA or SF area), a lot of major car mod shops and tuners, great driving roads and 6+ race tracks within driving distance!

Last edited by ZK; May 2, 2006 at 03:29 PM.
Old May 2, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

I have a FREE !! 2003 stock turbo back exhuast to help you out...

I posted this in the socal forums and no one is really interested... let me know its first come first serve...

with everything including cat... All you have to do is pick it up during the week...
Old May 2, 2006, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Find the statute that he listed in the ticket. READ THE WHOLE STATUTE. It is highly doubtful that he can cite you for modified parts. Maybe he can cite you for not meeting emissions, but an intake won't kill your emissions.

Again - READ THE STATUTE. If it doesn't say anything about changing parts and only mentions emissions then challenge the ticket and go see a judge. Read the statute to the judge (getting the idea now? ) and tell him what you believe it to mean and then show him how your car, as modified, meets emissions. I have a feeling it can't tell you not to modify the car. That's just obscene. No one could build a custom car wherever you live if that were the case.
Old May 2, 2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by evo4g63awd
you say you have an rs yet your profile says gsr... rs wasnt an option back then. the guy that had the car before you was smoking something.... the option was moonroof back then. other than that power and hids and all came standard
2day i had som1 look at my car and he told me it was a gsr
Old May 2, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Dude this guy knows nothing about his car...I wouldn't be suprised if this guy was a pig messing with you guyz....
Old May 2, 2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by 3volution8
may I ask what you were doing to get yourself pulled over anyway?
well i was pick'n my girlfriend up from her friends house, since her friend lives near the local race spot, there's always cops around, pulling guys over and such..... it was 12am...... i didnt think nothing of it, i passed a cop on the other side of the road( whom had some1 pulled over, along with another cop ) going below the speed limit, i look in my rear view and he is there, i stop at a stop light, b4 i can pass the intersection to get on the freeway he flashes his lights....... basically wrong place wrong time
Old May 2, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by EvoRicer
Dude this guy knows nothing about his car...I wouldn't be suprised if this guy was a pig messing with you guyz....

man **** you bro... im sorry i dont study up on my car, like i said i got it last week, i cant help it if i work more than i play......
Old May 2, 2006, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

LOL Man how can you not know what model of Evo you have!!? Anyways, yea Cali cops can be dicks and pull you over for absolutely nothing just to see if you have been drinking or whatever. You should be able to get the ticket dismissed. Best of luck to ya
Old May 2, 2006, 06:35 PM

Sorry to hear about your situation. Yah cops can be a pain.

Anyways...I wouldn't bother trying to go through the dealership to get some backup. To my knowledge, I doubt they would have any record of it being modified.

Anyways...what brand of intake is it? I would try and see if the manufacturer has a CARB E.O number for it. If they do...the part is street legal. Depending on the V.C code the officer cited you for...you can either take it to a smog ref-and pass the inspections...or take it to court and fight it. I highly suggest fighting it.

As for the BOV...if it is indeed a BOV and not a diverter valve...meaning it openly vents into the atmosphere-then it probably is illegal. I'm not too knowledgeable on the stuff currently in the market-but I don't recall any BOVs being registered as a CARB legal modification. You will have to get this part removed in order to pass any visual inspection that maybe required.

My suggestion-take the ticket to court...ask the judge to waive the costs (except the court processing fee). Say that you will take the money and use it get the parts removed (you may need to re-appear in court to confirm you did this). Afterwards, take the car back to the dealership and show them everything and see what they will do for you (you may need a laywer at this point-because they probably will deny selling you a modified car). I find, that judges (depending on who you get) may be a lot more sympathetic to your situation...rather than cops with nothing better to do.

I would swap out aftermarket parts with another aftermarket part. I would imagine that the State Ref that you will have to take the car to is looking for a de-modified car (stock) car...not one that has parts that have been swapped out for-irregardless of whether it is street legal or not.

It is possible that all the charges may be dropped because the officer wrote the wrong model car-though I think there is a law that allows the officer to amend the ticket at any time. So I definitely would not rely on this route for getting the charges dropped.

Your best bet is to look at your ticket, post up the V.C code violations, and pop the hood of your car open and post up the manu. of the mods.

Last edited by Boost Limit; May 2, 2006 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply: bought evo with non street legal parts