Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Radar detectors and their legality. *Please read*

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2006, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggy
"You know you're not allowed to do that over here right? I don't know what the laws are in New Jersey but here those things will get you some serious tickets"
Supposedly, the law in NJ is that you can have a radar detector in the car but it's not supposed to be on, or something stupid like that. Anyway, that's just what I heard from friends, I don't use a radar detector.
Old May 6, 2006, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It will depend on the local governing laws.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; May 6, 2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old May 6, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, that is very stealth!

Can you pm me with some details? I would probably have it shipped to Cali. Can I get it installed there?

Is anyone else using this??? Looks really pimp
first off, it's concealed in the car but it's not undetectable, it;s identifiable with spetre I, II and III even though it says it can't, and i know alot of county cops have spetre units on them so they can nab comercial trucks using radar which is illegal and has a VERY VERY high fine so thats y they carry the spetre unit on them
Old May 6, 2006, 02:36 PM

It says clearly on road signs when you cross into Canada that radar detectors are illegal. Unless well concealed, you will most likely get a ticket eventually. Also, a lot of States near the border cooperate with Canadian road enforcement meaning you can get demerit points and fines even though your in a different country!
Old May 6, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

I think the best thing to do is ask a cop in Canada no? I feel that radar detectors are a false sense of security. I got a ticket without one, and a ticket with one. So, every driving situation is different. I do know where I live the cops go after cars with radar detectors. So my Passport 8500 is sitting in my closet and soon to be sold on EBAY. I know cops out there that have shown me some of their new "instant on" guns, and I will tell you, my buddies Valentine one and my Passport 8500 well, we would of both got a ticket, so best bet, dont use one, and obay the laws, that simple.
Old May 6, 2006, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Has this actually happened to you? That's brutal...
No, When I worked for a different company then I do now, I had customers go to Canada a lot and that did happen to them. One time, a customer had the K40 UN3000SWL which is a completely installed unit in both bumpers with a laser difuser, they found it some how and made him take the brain out, and both sensors and destroy them. $1500 down the drain!
Old May 6, 2006, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A cop friend once told me you can't go to (x) and break an (x) law just because you are from (y). Where x and y are places. I think if Canadian cops choose to be lenient to American drivers they can do so at their discretion. But if they start seeing a new Evo around town with the same plates and radar detector in sight, or in use they will probably not be as lenient anymore.

I use mine just to avoid traps, I try to be very aware of where I am and how fast I am going through places I know they like to hide. Especially in construction zones where its double jeopardy. I just don't speed at all through residential, hospital or school areas. "Instant-on" pulsing is a beyotch.

Incidentally I was told this when asking about window tint. At the time, we did not have a tint law, but the surrounding states did. My friend had gotten a ticket for dark windows in Tennessee (along with a speeding ticket) and was about to just not pay the ticket. We thought he was innocent because being from Alabama, his tint was legal here. But no.

Last edited by GPTourer; May 6, 2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old May 6, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Asshat cops here in florida (both FHP and local yokels) are using laser more and more - V1 picks it up every time, but when you get lasered, whatever detector you have is pretty much just letting you know "you're about to get a ticket."

Seriously, you have, at most, two seconds to get it reined in when the V1 signals "laser"... my car being black (and not having a front tag) gives me a little advantage when it comes to that.... maybe that's the only reason I even get the TWO seconds - it still locks on pretty quickly - I've read there's a laser jammer out there that works that I've been looking into (laser jammers are legal, radar jammers are not, not in ANY state.)

Maybe the next best thing to a detector would be to have a fresh donut in the glovebox to use as a bribe?
Old May 6, 2006, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The signs when you drive into Cananda say the fine is something like $500 for having a radar detector.
Your screwed either way because you will be driving a car not even available up there and after the cops see enough of you they are going to wonder why you are still in town if you are a tourist and will probably start to hassle you. Having a radar detector will only **** them of further. Of course you have to abide by thier laws, you have to do it here from state to state why would Canada be any different.
You can't get busted for pot and say yout from Amsterdam and get away with it.
Old May 6, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

I have heard a lot of stories from people saying that cops can't really do anything in Canada to American drivers,
-Aaron
Yeah that's true...And did you also know that ALL Canadian lawyers work for free? And that Canadian speeding tickets are redeemable for lap dances in Montreal?
Old May 6, 2006, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Waverider
It says clearly on road signs when you cross into Canada that radar detectors are illegal. Unless well concealed, you will most likely get a ticket eventually. Also, a lot of States near the border cooperate with Canadian road enforcement meaning you can get demerit points and fines even though your in a different country!
I live in ny and I know if you get tickets up in montreal and other canadian areas near ny it counts on your liscence in ny.
Old May 7, 2006, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WhiteEvo05
Yeah that's true...And did you also know that ALL Canadian lawyers work for free? And that Canadian speeding tickets are redeemable for lap dances in Montreal?
I'm Canadian you tool. Go back to your hole. I have experienced Americans being treated very differently from Canadians. Please read my post on the first page regarding mods...

Anyway it seems to me like a radar detector is a no go.... Even that bluetooth one can be tracked I can't say I was willing to splurge 2000 bucks on one anyway though.

-Aaron
Old May 7, 2006, 03:51 AM

Radar detectors are legal to use in passenger vehicles in all states with the exception of Virginia and Washington D.C. or while on an US military base. In Canada, only three provinces allow the use of radar detectors in passenger cars: British Columbia, Alberta, New Brunswick and Saskatchewan. (quote from Radarbuster.com)
Old May 7, 2006, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by seieilou
Radar detectors are legal to use in passenger vehicles in all states with the exception of Virginia and Washington D.C. or while on an US military base. In Canada, only three provinces allow the use of radar detectors in passenger cars: British Columbia, Alberta, New Brunswick and Saskatchewan. (quote from Radarbuster.com)
Thanks for the info

I want to live in BC....
Old May 7, 2006, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

dont even try it. I was up there and my radar dector started to go off, so we pulled it from the windshild and threw it through the hole in the back seat into the truck. Then a few mins later a cop passed up. She spun around and pulled us over and said here radar dector dector picked up our radar. She searched the car and found it in the truck. There was no fine issued as we were military and she was cool. But she said never turn in on again in canada. Also she showed use the thing they use to pick them up. pritty cool

Quick Reply: Radar detectors and their legality. *Please read*