Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

top mount intercooler?!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2006, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dragon41673
Looks more like a newer Galant VR4...not the early 90's style we had here in the US
The newer Galant VR-4 got a V6 similar to the 3kgt/Stealths.

Originally Posted by South Side Evo
To clairfy, I never said a FMIC car cannot win, just the placement of the part puts it at a higher risk of being damaged or clog with debris (lose power). It (TMIC) is a better placement for the condition it needs to exist in.
This isn't the number one reason they do this. A lot of endurance racing turbo cars do this for cooling reasons. The intercooler doesn't block the radiator and keeps the motor from overheating during long races.
Old May 7, 2006, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a top mount on my WRX and STI. They suck. Heat soak....the heat from the motor rises to the top and since the intercooler is right there it gets all the heat. When I installed a fmic on both of the different cars they ran so much better, spooled better and in traffic the overall temperature was much better. Too much metal clumped into one area is never a good thing. Heat just stays there.
Old May 7, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
A top mount for a street car is probably not a bad thing (even though it does heat soak) since it does come into contact with things flying off the road from other vehicles but, for a race car a front mount or a V mount is definitely the preferred mounting. Really how often do rally cars pass each other? They also use bar and plate IC for the most part due to the 50PSI of boost they pump through them which are not quite so susceptible to puncture and have grill screens in front of them to catch or slow down most debris.

A racecar needs to cool the inlet air as effectively as possible. You can always carry a bigger radiator to offset any potential cooling issues. The aerodynamic handicap of trying to duct air to and out of a top mount and the relatively high position of weight are not desirable either.

I would be willing to bet that subie is more of a V mount where the rad and IC are both laid down to an extent. I bet there is a duct that channels air from the grill, up through the IC and, out the hood unlike the production cars through the hood, down through the IC and, out underneath the car somewhere setup.

Last edited by hotrod2448; May 7, 2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old May 7, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mannymartinez
i dont see how it could work with that kind of setup if it was a top mount.

for exmaple this would work and clearly we all know it does....

top mounts actually suck for all applications. there is not one top mount that works better with any more benefits than a front mount, EVEN if you're talkin' about filling the extra piping. they only come on subarus because subaru is lazy and cheap to find a good way to route plumbing around their funny engines. must of the same problem is faced by most v8 and v6 forced induction cars.

that said the above picture does not show a top mount intercooler but an ANGLE mount intercooler, that is a huge difference. in fact angle mount is used in rx7s too as they have the spare room and it's also used in jgtc cars such as the supra when they use hte 3sgte motor and have spare room.
Old May 7, 2006, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by monsta
First pic is a Misubishi RVR
Second one is a Mitsubishi Airtrek turbo

The RVR is an ugly wagon with a Evo 3 underneath
It isn't ugly. It's just looks boring. I little spice and they look cool.
Old May 7, 2006, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by South Side Evo
TMIC is great for rally racing over different terrain (mud, snow, gravel, and so on), because it is out of the way. The FMIC will take considerable amount of damage in these condition, and have a higher chance of failing. Especially, when they come up on slower traffic, kicking up crap into the front of their car.

You can totally tell, the STI was designed as a rally car, to be driven in gravel conditions. While the Evo is, without a doubt a car setup to run on tramac.
no... please no more