Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hi-Flow Cat vs Test Pipe..

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2006, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi-Flow Cat vs Test Pipe..

Hello everybody, I am pondering if I should throw a hi-flow cat back on instead of running this darn silencer and test pipe!! Lately, cops have been harrassing people in the area I stay at. I have been running a test pipe for about a year or so, but got scared and didn't want to get pulled over by these retarded cops who started pulling people over for just having an aftermarket exhaust!! I mean, people just driving normally with an aftermarket exhaust have been getting pulled over for no apparent reason!!! So I was wondering, I used to have a hi-flow cat with the buschur tbe setup a long time ago and forgot how it felt. I know I will lose some power installing a hi-flow cat back on instead of using this test pipe. Does anybody know how much power I will lose and also does anybody on the boards run a hi-flow cat with cams and the regular bolt ons with a custome tune and is around 330-350 whp??? I wouldn't mind getting a hi flow cat again if it will not sacrifice my power as much and sway the darn cops away from my car!! I hate all the attention with this exhaust, but I do love its weight! Feedback would be appreciated, thanks!
Old May 12, 2006, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

I have heard from friends who have done the switch that you can lose anywhere from 5 to 15 WHP
Old May 12, 2006, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

i have a high flow cat and i want to go test pipe. i was told it will add 10-15whp.

so i guess you will lose 10-15whp?
Old May 12, 2006, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

gayness 8- ( ...... Maybe I needa get rid of my greddy ti after all.. I love this exhaust, but its just to loud, for VIRGINIA!!!!!!! I guess ill just drive around with the silencer as usual and take it off at the track. I hate attention anyway so when I drive my car around normally I guess i'll leave the silencer in for now..
Old May 12, 2006, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

yes. 10-15 ona good tune, BUT cops round here in MD and im sure in VA are absolute D!CKS about modded cars, and test pipes are pretty LOUD. at leat with highflow cats, you can still legally be on the road. is 10-15 awhp worth fix-it-tix.....i got 2 for my tint already and i'm only at 20%. prolly doesn't help my plates say 1SLOEVO, BUt hey.
Old May 12, 2006, 09:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
just so you know...a silencer is killing your flow anyway...not sure if it is as bad as a high flow cat...but I bet it is close
Old May 12, 2006, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

It's actually worse, it builds boost so slow, but I like it because I actually save a bit of gas and draw away from attention 8- ) But I hate taking it off and putting it on and etc. I guess Ill just leave it like this and just throw the stock cat back on for inspections.. 8- (
Old May 12, 2006, 09:54 PM

High flow cat sucks...You lose power and it doesn't sound as nice...I had to install one just to pass inspection...When I removed it my car drove soo much better...If you really want one I can sell you mine....
Old May 12, 2006, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

IMHO if cops are pulling people over for aftermarket exhausts in your area then i would take it off...Its not worth the FINE...
Old May 12, 2006, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Why not buy an exhaust that isnt obnoxiously loud? You'll make more power and do it quieter than with the Ti and its silencer. 15 lbs of weight savings is nothing on a ~3200lbs car.
Old May 12, 2006, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fsugatorbait
Why not buy an exhaust that isnt obnoxiously loud? You'll make more power and do it quieter than with the Ti and its silencer. 15 lbs of weight savings is nothing on a ~3200lbs car.
Yea, I might end up selling my ti sooner or later and get my buschur again. I had the buschur slit fit tbe before I got rear ended and got a me a new bumper and this exhaust setup for the cash 8- ). It wasn't as loud as my greddy ti!! A friend of mine just got a new downpipe, cat delete, and hks ti exhaust and it isn't as loud. I'll give it a few more weeks to think about it.. hopefully I won't get pulled over by then for something stupid.. Can cops give you tickets even if you still have a silencer on? A few months ago a cop pulled me over and gave me warning and he told me to put a silencer on my car. So I put it on recently, just wondering if they can still say "hey your car still has an aftermarket exhaust and its illegal in VA!! Even though you have a silencer!" Lol, hopefully they arn't that crazy 8-x
Old May 12, 2006, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fareastkorean
Yea, I might end up selling my ti sooner or later and get my buschur again. I had the buschur slit fit tbe before I got rear ended and got a me a new bumper and this exhaust setup for the cash 8- ). It wasn't as loud as my greddy ti!! A friend of mine just got a new downpipe, cat delete, and hks ti exhaust and it isn't as loud. I'll give it a few more weeks to think about it.. hopefully I won't get pulled over by then for something stupid.. Can cops give you tickets even if you still have a silencer on? A few months ago a cop pulled me over and gave me warning and he told me to put a silencer on my car. So I put it on recently, just wondering if they can still say "hey your car still has an aftermarket exhaust and its illegal in VA!! Even though you have a silencer!" Lol, hopefully they arn't that crazy 8-x

Ive been pulled over before for my exhaust and given a written warning. The cop said that replacing the exhaust in and of itself was illegal regardless of how loud it was. The noise just tips them off. Im not sure about VA laws but from what ive heard/read they're the CA of the east coast.

PS. Good choice on your cam setup- you're gonna love them.
Old May 12, 2006, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fsugatorbait
Ive been pulled over before for my exhaust and given a written warning. The cop said that replacing the exhaust in and of itself was illegal regardless of how loud it was. The noise just tips them off. Im not sure about VA laws but from what ive heard/read they're the CA of the east coast.

PS. Good choice on your cam setup- you're gonna love them.
Yea, I've talked to people who actually moved from CA and thought VA would be better... but they thought wrong!! This area of VA is starting to suck, I don't know if its because of all the darn ricers always doing stupid crap or if its just the cops need money for their "quotas!!" But yea, thanks for the acknowledgement on the cams!! I can't wait til I get these suckers installed after I get my upgraded clutch and flywheel, hopefully within about a month or so
Old May 12, 2006, 11:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
if I cop pulls you over and sees that you have no cat...that's a nice fine
Old May 13, 2006, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
if I cop pulls you over and sees that you have no cat...that's a nice fine
you can put the stock cat cover on the test pipe. i dont think the cop would smell the exhaust to find out anywayz