Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Japanese Evo IX.

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 07:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japanese Evo IX.

I found the Japanese website for Mitsubishi and looked at the Evolution. Their RS model actually has NO recaro seats, its like the WRX TR, its weird. They also have yellow, no gunmetal. I like the yellow. The GSR is the only one with AYC. None of them have vortex generators like we get. Maybe its a gimmick??? Here's the URL: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/e...eup/index.html
Old May 18, 2006, 07:41 AM
CGs
Evolving Member

Interesting. I think the vortex generators were only on their VIII MR's. Did anyone else notice it looks like only the GSR has ACD and AYC?
Old May 18, 2006, 07:43 AM
Account Disabled

Yeah, I said that the GSR only has AYC. Also, I read once somewhere, I think on motortrend, that the zero-lift crap was a gimmick like the 3000GT active aero. It like had maybe 1.2% better aerodynamics over all in the wind tunnel. BUT if the car were to receive a huge boost in power, say like to nearly 700, it would make a difference.
Old May 18, 2006, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Man.. i'd trade my VG for AYC any day..

I agree about the zero lift kit. If it were an actual option on my car, I'd forego it in a heartbeat.
Old May 18, 2006, 07:46 AM
Account Disabled

Well, theoretically, if you can get an AYC unit. And since it hasn't changed since the Evo 6, you can get an evo 7, 8, or 9 one. You COULD install it.
Old May 18, 2006, 07:50 AM
Account Disabled

So the gunmetal, the MR ****, the zero lift kit, all of that stuff is just a sales technique. They have no MR, they have no Zero Lift gimmick, etc. its just like the Japanese VR4 never had active aero, it had a fixed spoiler like the Evo's do. We actually got a VR4 similar to the jap version without the active aero and the fixed spoiler in 1999, that was it though.
Old May 18, 2006, 08:01 AM

wow look at those rims or i dunno what thye are on the RS... makes the whole car look i dunno cheap kinda with those rims...
Old May 18, 2006, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraist
So the gunmetal, the MR ****, the zero lift kit, all of that stuff is just a sales technique. They have no MR, they have no Zero Lift gimmick, etc.
So what will you say if they came out with a JDM MR IX that did have it? Maybe they are saving those features for their IX MR?

its just like the Japanese VR4 never had active aero,
That is untrue. They offered a car just like ours, then they later did a GTO MR that was a lightweight version without active aero, AWS, and other bits.

We actually got a VR4 similar to the japanese version without the active aero and the fixed spoiler in 1999, that was it though.
Active aero was dropped in 1997 in the U.S.

But back to the Evo MR. If the Japanese get something that we don't, people cry foul because they feel like they are being cheated. But now we get something the Japanese don't and it's just a sales gimmick?
Old May 18, 2006, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Well, theoretically, if you can get an AYC unit. And since it hasn't changed since the Evo 6, you can get an evo 7, 8, or 9 one. You COULD install it.
The AYC in the earlier models was more prone to failure. I belive they did significantly change the AYC system in the EVO 8. It made it more durable and provided more torque to the wheels. Search on the Mitsubishi Lancer Register and you will find plenty of people asking how to convert from AYC to a LSD on earlier models.

Even w/ these problems I would get AYC in a second if I could.
Old May 18, 2006, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just noticed something interesting about the Japanese versions... The emblems and the writing on the Recaro seats are in english. Weird. You would think they would be written in Japanese?
Old May 18, 2006, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

sweet so the RS could have a nice set of hubcaps! wow i didnt even know about that. Guess you could go to a japanese wal-mart and buy some hubcap spinners . amazing to see an evo without rims....

PJ
Old May 18, 2006, 08:23 AM
Account Disabled

No, there won't be an MR. Their GSR has all the options the MR here does. It's just a different name for their top-of-the-line model. The japs know "Type-R" **** sells cars. So they place an MR badge on your evo and give it the six-speed and some gimmick stuff. Their RS has no enkei rims, which I find funny. The GT model has the 5-speed but no ACD or AYC.

Originally Posted by GPTourer
So what will you say if they came out with a JDM MR IX that did have it? Maybe they are saving those features for their IX MR?

That is untrue. They offered a car just like ours, then they later did a GTO MR that was a lightweight version without active aero, AWS, and other bits.

Active aero was dropped in 1997 in the U.S.

But back to the Evo MR. If the Japanese get something that we don't, people cry foul because they feel like they are being cheated. But now we get something the Japanese don't and it's just a sales gimmick?
Old May 18, 2006, 08:35 AM

yea but their base model is only 26k msrp.... ours is like 29k msrp

wouldn't you want to spend the 3k on custom stuff? like sparco seats and volk rims
Old May 18, 2006, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, there won't be an MR. Their GSR has all the options the MR here does.
So what? It does not make any difference to me that our models are not identical and follow the same marketing trends as the Japanese. I already accepted that fact a long time ago.

Last edited by GPTourer; May 18, 2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old May 18, 2006, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

i just noticed that the brakes are not brembos on the rs. weird!!

click this link on the far right of the page next to "spec" and "option".

Quick Reply: Japanese Evo IX.