Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Applying Handbrake after driving

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2003, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Applying Handbrake after driving

I have had somepros tell me not to apply the handbrake after fast driving, something to do with the brakes being hot. Does thuis make sense. Is this something we should do as part of the cool down period. Any thoughts??
Old Apr 21, 2003, 03:56 PM

Re: Applying Handbrake after driving

Originally posted by RallyBrit
I have had somepros tell me not to apply the handbrake after fast driving, something to do with the brakes being hot. Does thuis make sense. Is this something we should do as part of the cool down period. Any thoughts??
There is a difference between fast driving and racing. You should never set the parking brake after doing a track session. This heat-soaks the rear rotors in the area of the brake pads. The can cause warping or cracking of the rear rotors.

Fast street driving you should never be getting the brakes hot enough that it will matter. If you are driving like that on public roadways, well, you have other issues -
Old Apr 22, 2003, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

I agree with what is written above. You shouldn't have to worry about damage caused by e-brake use until you are doing roadcourse driving.

You will never use the brakes enough on the streets to cause heat-soak.

SC~
Old Apr 22, 2003, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
I agree with what is written above. You shouldn't have to worry about damage caused by e-brake use until you are doing roadcourse driving.
SC~
I agree with the above as well, and I'll also add that after track sessions, when parking in the paddock, don't let your car just sit.
Roll the car a foot or two every minute or so after the session so the front pads aren't sitting on the same place on the rotor. Only a couple moves are needed, but after crewing for GT1 cars and World Challenge cars that do this to avoid rotor warpage, it can't be a bad idea!
Old Apr 22, 2003, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

I never knew that, thanks fo rthe info
Old Apr 22, 2003, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by JasonS

I agree with the above as well, and I'll also add that after track sessions, when parking in the paddock, don't let your car just sit.
Roll the car a foot or two every minute or so after the session so the front pads aren't sitting on the same place on the rotor. Only a couple moves are needed, but after crewing for GT1 cars and World Challenge cars that do this to avoid rotor warpage, it can't be a bad idea!
Only one thing, the evo uses shoes and drums for it's e-brake so no need to worry about heat sinking the rear rotors
Old Apr 23, 2003, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

The rear calipers do not clamp down onto the rotor when the the ebrake is applied? there is a separate drum and shoe for this? odd... I never knew that!

SC~
Old Apr 23, 2003, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

one more thing...
I have seen pads fuse to discs on really hot track days right after the car comes off of the track... another good reason to just let it sit, or better yet bring along a set of chalks (coupld of 4" by 4"s work great (about 1 foot long each)