Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is if safe to drive with a bad EGR valve?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's really not worth removing EGR. It's there to control NOx emissions. Without it, your NOx goes through the roof. Your in-cylinder temperatures also go way up, introducing the possibility of more knock.

But then again I'm the type who's against catless exhausts as well.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know you said you checked all the hoses, but you may want to check again.

I am saying this because I had an EGR code and I thought I checked all the connections multiple times and then had a buddy of mine check and he found a hose disconnected.

It was in a real hard place to reach.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eve-slow
I know you said you checked all the hoses, but you may want to check again.

I am saying this because I had an EGR code and I thought I checked all the connections multiple times and then had a buddy of mine check and he found a hose disconnected.

It was in a real hard place to reach.
Did you find it while under the car or while looking under the hood.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

I found it looking under the hood. There where two vacuum lines attached to eachother so when you pulled on the line it felt like it was attached because one of them was attached. If you reach your hand behind and below the throttle body, you may be able to feel it. You also may want to take off your ic piping to your tb for better access.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

It's like driving with a bad muffler bearing!
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:39 PM

Just build a blockoff plate for a cheap fix of the problem. Alot of people remove the egr system completely when stripping for weight. I built a blockoff plate for my 2g DSM out of a small piece of metal that I found around the house. Take off the gasket that is between the egr valve and your engine and make a copy of it on the metal but leave the main hole blocked off. Just put in holes for the bolts then slap on some sealant and you are good to go. Get rid of all your vacuum lines you don't need and block them off with plugs.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Where exactly is the EGR valve in our cars? Is it the same as an Evo7? We're trying to figure out a leaning out problem at idle...

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Its mounted under the throttle body. Look under there and you will see the vacuum line running to it that sometimes pops off.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks! I'll try to look for it today! Is there a way to force it closed in case it's stuck open? I'm assuming if it's stuck open at idle it would cause the lean situation. By pulling a vaccuum on it I assume it would close. Which hose to pull the vaccuum on? I assume there would be one coming from the throttle body.

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

I havent had it off to look at it but I am pretty sure it is normally closed and it opens with vacuum applied. Also I dont think it would cause a lean condition if it was open at idle because all it would really be doing is taking up space in the cylinder with non combustible air so therefore basically the cylinder act like a smaller cylinder. It will run really rough if it is active at idle so if it really is open, you should notice the poor idle.

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
Thanks! I'll try to look for it today! Is there a way to force it closed in case it's stuck open? I'm assuming if it's stuck open at idle it would cause the lean situation. By pulling a vaccuum on it I assume it would close. Which hose to pull the vaccuum on? I assume there would be one coming from the throttle body.

Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 02:06 PM

so is it safe to drive my 95 buick with high miles on this with bad egr valve,n exhaust leaks have some trips to drive and want to be safe here and what can i expect if drive it farther distances
Old Jan 26, 2016, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by patick48
so is it safe to drive my 95 buick with high miles on this with bad egr valve,n exhaust leaks have some trips to drive and want to be safe here and what can i expect if drive it farther distances
EGR is for emission purposes.you can drive around the globe with your Buick if you need to.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
get on google and type evo 8/9 egr block off plate...they got a bunch of different ones but they all do the same thing...its just a small plate with 2 holes for the bolts...now the plates come with a gasket and 2 smaller bolts because the stock ones will not work...
Old Jan 28, 2016, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nor11384
get on google and type evo 8/9 egr block off plate...they got a bunch of different ones but they all do the same thing...its just a small plate with 2 holes for the bolts...now the plates come with a gasket and 2 smaller bolts because the stock ones will not work...
Op was asking about his Buick
Old Jan 28, 2016, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by egis
Op was asking about his Buick
really? I must have missed it...sorry...