Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Exhaust Question..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Question..

I am about to buy B& B Turbo back for my IX MR.. First does anyone have it on their car and does it fit without any mods. And the second thing that worries me is that everywhere i search it come for evo 8... So my wuestion is if it will fit on my IX... I that what i should buy???? Opinions will be greatly appreciated.. Thank you..
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

you want my honest opinion...save a few hundred bucks and buy the Megan Racing exhaust. I have it on my 8 and I love it. They make a TBE to fit the IX and youll probably save at least 300 bucks.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, they (Megan) don't have one for the IX yet.

Graphite MR, every exhaust says it's for the 8, because the 9 is the same car, and all those exhausts were made when there was only an 8. No exhausts have been made specifically for the 9, but I can't tell you for sure that the B&B will fit. Is there a particular reason you want that one instead of one of the proven, powerful TBEs on the market that are already known to fit perfectly?
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No, they (Megan) don't have one for the IX yet.

Graphite MR, every exhaust says it's for the 8, because the 9 is the same car, and all those exhausts were made when there was only an 8. No exhausts have been made specifically for the 9, but I can't tell you for sure that the B&B will fit. Is there a particular reason you want that one instead of one of the proven, powerful TBEs on the market that are already known to fit perfectly?

Thank you for the info... The reason why i like the b&B is because it is a sleeper and it does not hang low. I Like the turbo sound better but i want to get the benefit of the 3 Inch piping. The b&B has the stock look... At least thats the way it looks on the pictures.. and b&B has a sound clip on their site with one on an evo 8 and i like the way it sounds .. if there is a better one that fits my needs i would get a better brand.. I dont really care for the price i am ready to spend up to 1200 for a turbo back.. Thats why i was asking about fittment too.... Thank you.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Most exhausts don't hang low - not sure what you mean by that - any exhaust that hangs low is improperly installed or poorly-designed. Most are tight up against the car as far as they can be without rubbing and with the tailpipe centered in the exhaust cutout of the bumper.

It looks stock while being 3"? Interesting. I can't help you on sound - I don't really care about that...only weight, fitment, and power. I'd have to see these pics that make it look stock to give you an idea of what else could meet your needs. You'd spend $1200 for a TBE even if you could spend $1200 for a TBE, mbc, gauge, and flash?
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Most exhausts don't hang low - not sure what you mean by that - any exhaust that hangs low is improperly installed or poorly-designed. Most are tight up against the car as far as they can be without rubbing and with the tailpipe centered in the exhaust cutout of the bumper.

It looks stock while being 3"? Interesting. I can't help you on sound - I don't really care about that...only weight, fitment, and power. I'd have to see these pics that make it look stock to give you an idea of what else could meet your needs. You'd spend $1200 for a TBE even if you could spend $1200 for a TBE, mbc, gauge, and flash?

Ok i will give you example of exhaust that i dont like... HKS Carbon. IT looks like it hangs low.. I know thats the design..... I dont want to flush it yet.. I am waiting on the cobb's tunig module .... ... what would you recomend... i am new in this community and all i have on the car now is the hks racing intake, turbosmart dual port blow off and the blitz turbo timer.... I am open for ideas and ways to go... I will appreciate every tip... thank you.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Here is a link for the B&B Exhaust...
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

No, that exhaust doesn't hang low. Maybe you saw one bad installation or something? It hangs the same as all others except that the canister and exhaust tip may be larger.

You don't want to flush what?

What is a Cobb's tuning module? Do you mean the Cobb AccessPort for the Evo? That is no longer needed and would become obsolete the moment it hits the market, because of EcuFlash, which is free.

Ouch, you have an intake, dual port BOV, and turbo timer as your only mods? All 3 are useless to you right now and probably have made you slower than stock. That's very disappointing, especially when you have the baddest Evo possible in the US - a IX MR. Look at my signature - those are the first mods for a IX, not the expensive ricer stuff you already got. You could have spent $1270 to make 60-70whp as opposed to $600-700 to gain no power while messing up your MAF readings.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/evo/ - thats the link
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Can't hardly see anything from that zoomed out picture, and even when clicking on the pipes themselves, you can't see much. It doesn't look anything like stock to me, and the muffler looks multi-chambered, which will definitely restrict exhaust flow like the stock muffler. It's good that it has a 4" tip (or it claims to), but in the pic, it really seems to fill up the exhaust cutout like my 5" Megan tip used to do. Now, my Buschur w/Bullet Muffler has a 4" tip just like stock, which is much smaller than the Megan.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Warrtalon Why do you think its messing the MAF readings. i know about the blow off and the timer but why would the intake make the car slower....???
I just checked the package that you have ... about the exhaust i just dont want something loud.... thats my problem .. about the cobb access port i was told that i will be a very good thing.. you will be able to change maps easily and depending on what you want... you can put extra maps inside ....as i said i am new i read a lot of opinions and i am trying to get things clear....
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Intakes have a different air profile that needs to be tuned for relative to what the MAF sees.

PLUS, PLUS, PLUS! MOST intakes don't have a heat shield to keep hot air from flowing into them. I've very little experience with tuning intakes on the EVO, but the general concensus is spend your money elsewhere, first. I'm sorry, in most cases intakes are for posers. The stock airbox is good well into the 450hp range with a good K&N type filter.

~j.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Man, you definitely are new to the scene and don't know much if you have to ask me how the intake makes the car slower or throws off the MAF. That is one of the most talked-about things on this entire forum. You are not supposed to install an intake on the Evo without a tune - it's bad bad bad. If you took a few minutes to search around, you'd see exactly what I mean, because there are literally thousands of threads discussing it.

You were "told" that the Cobb AccessPort would be good? Well, I don't know who told you that, but it was likely a Subie owner, right? I mean they've been talking about releasing it for Evos for a long time, but it hasn't happened, and now we have EcuFlash with no need for an expensive module. With EcuFlash, you can have and use as many maps as you want, then flash whichever map to the ECU whenever you want. There is 0 need for the Cobb AccessPort now. If it was an Evo owner trying to convince you, then they aren't up to speed on Evo tuning developments. If it was a Subie owner, then leave it at that...he knows nothing about Evo tuning.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

yes it was a subbie owner ..... and yes i am new here... and yes i didnt have it tuned after i had the intake installed.
What are u suggesting i do.... ???
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

I suggest you re-install your stock BOV, which is incredibly awesome, then sell the Turbosmart. Why did you get it to begin with when your stocker holds up to 25psi, and you're running stock boost?

Then, get a turboback exhaust and a flash so that you can leave the intake on there and make use of it. After you've done these few things, your car will run like a raped ape with 100% drivability and great reliability. This is assuming you already have a boost gauge, since I'm sure you wouldn't change your BOV without a boost gauge...

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question..