Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Warrtalon Racing Video

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EMR8
Just curious why u reatain the stock suspension? Lots of boddy roll and 3 wheelin no? Dont you think the car would do better with some coilovers? Thanx btw cool vid
Yes, my friend, you are correct. A real suspension will do wonders for me, but I'm fairly new to non-linear racing, so since this was my first full season of auto-x/circuit, I decided to learn to master the stock suspension until it became a hindrance before I moved up. So, I got some decent race tires, put in some good brake fluid, then did my best. The results have been favorable, so during the offseason, I'll be going with a full coilover setup - likely the Ohlins designed by Chronohunter, especially since he is local to me and can coach me in person while also showing me how the Ohlins really perform. This is next year's planned setup vs this year's:

Suspension: Stock -> Gerrard setup (Ohlins/bushings/etc)
Tires: 245/45-17 V710 -> 275/40-17 V710
Wheels: Stock MR BBS 17X8 (17.7lbs) -> Enkei RPF-1 17X9 (15.9lbs)
Brakes: Stock w/ATE SuperBlue Fluid -> Slotted rotors + race pads + SS lines + Motul
Power: Lots on stock 05 turbo -> Lots on stock IX turbo

I will have to learn to drive the car all over again, but I think the above combination will help significantly for both auto-x and road racing. As it is, I put down the fastest lap at 2 of 3 NASA events so far this year, and yesterday's fastest lap was with my daily driven RT615s, because my V710s corded completely and were useless.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by incog6
What video camera was used and how was it mounted?
Sony DVD-405 mounted with the ChaseCam.com clamp mount to the center/rear LATCH system bracket:

My non-harness bar in-car camera mount (pics)
Old Jul 23, 2006, 03:02 PM
Fomer Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was a cool video. Would have been nice to hear the car a little. Was it sped up a bit around a minute in the vid? That part looked crazy.

And what was with that huge wing on that vette? I guess it didn't help him, you went by like nothing, great driving!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, he used music, because my Sony camera has no wind filter, so you only hear the rush of crackling wind with the occasional spoolup, so it's annoying. I'm going to try taping foam over the MIC to see if I can get some engine/turbo/exhaust noise in the future, but it would be great if I could keep the windows up. Yes, he sped it up at one part - it feels that fast when driving, but never looks that fast with in-car vid.

Heh, yeah that Z06 is pretty fast, but the wing didn't help enough!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

warr,
did you get put into a class with all corvettes? That's all i saw in the video besides that one other car that i can't tell what it is...looks like a trueno...great vid man. quick question, my suspensions are making a funny clunk sound when i drive over bumps in the road? The dealership says that my strut bearings are going bad and needs to be replace and they are doing it under warranty but my question is, is it the struts or something else...I thought i ask before a make a thread asking for similiar problems. Again cool vid man!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

It was just HPDE3, and most of the other cars were Z06s. The one other car was a trailered fully-caged and gutted Charger, but it's slow as *****.

I dunno about your clunks - I haven't experienced it or read about it.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 03:30 PM
Fomer Vendor

Originally Posted by 4g63_24
warr,
did you get put into a class with all corvettes? That's all i saw in the video besides that one other car that i can't tell what it is...looks like a trueno...great vid man. quick question, my suspensions are making a funny clunk sound when i drive over bumps in the road? The dealership says that my strut bearings are going bad and needs to be replace and they are doing it under warranty but my question is, is it the struts or something else...I thought i ask before a make a thread asking for similiar problems. Again cool vid man!

Make sure everything is tight. I had a similar problem with my honda, it turned out to be one of the upper a arm bolts was loose.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

awesome stuff!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4g63_24
warr,

I would confirm what the dealership says. I had the same problem. Does your problem come and go. Or when you make a hard turn putting the weight of the car on the side your getting noises it will do it also. What happened in my case is the bearing would shift around making it so at times its able to move around. If the dealership will replace it go ahead and do it. All I had to do was make a adjustment and it fixed my problem. Good luck buddy.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

corvette's would be nice if they were fast!!!!
Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Heh, yeah that Z06 is pretty fast, but the wing didn't help enough!
+1
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by z97219
Best of luck then. Your the boss!
You sound like the people around here when I ask them to come out to local autocross meets...our cars are not made to PIMP
Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:30 PM

Warrtalon, great driving and the vid was very cool. I have done a few auto-x races and they are fun

Scott

03' EVO 8
Old Jul 25, 2006, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

nice vid
Old Jul 25, 2006, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Scott, if you enjoyed the autocrosses, then you will be elated by some road racing. As you can see, it's much more involved with more speed, actual passing, and more open space.