Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

anybody busted w/ no cat. tell us what happen

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2006, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against going catless on performance cars. None of my motorcycles had/have cats.

But there is a misunderstanding regarding the emissions from diesels. The black you see in a diesels emission is soot. The emissions that the catalytic converter is eliminating are invisible (hydrocarbons). So, visible emissions doesn't equate to dirtier.

Originally Posted by boostingevo8
Yea man I just got pulled over the other day for "no front plate"......I was scared too they would look under my car and see my dc sports dp/cat delete and ticket me for that also....got lucky.

Last year I totalled my fully built GSR and 8 cops never noticed/said anything to me at the scene about my car not having a cat (3 thermal exhaust/test pipe) and my car was upside down too!!!! I got a wreckless driving ticket though! The only dislike I have about my 3 dp is at every stop I can smell gas when I stop. However I love the sound and whatever power gains I have gotten as a result! Just imigane how much poison those big old diesel trucks dump into the atmospere each day (ever see the black exhaust fumes bellowing out of their stacks)
Old Aug 5, 2006, 05:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LI Pinky
A friend of mine with a GSX eclipse got pulled over in November of 05 for racing a skyline wen a cop saw him, long story short, They went threw his whole car to see wut tickets they could write, i think the no cat ticket was anywhere from 700-1000 dollars and that was in Suffolk County New York (Long Island)
Its only going to get worse.. Long Island has some pretty strict rules compared to other areas (hence why we need to retain the OBD-II and Emissions controls) you can fiddle with them, as long as they pass and you have a Cat, you usually don't have a problem like you might in California.

However, There is a potential fine and imprisonment if your caught without a Cat, and due to the nature of the way modified cars are viewed, I'd much rather stay as legal as possible..

Keep in mind if your busted without a cat..

1) YOu get a huge fine, possible jail time
2) YOUR MECHANIC gets a fine, and possible jail time
3) The Inspection station will get a HUGE fine, lose their license, and possible jail time.

Not to mention in the future it will be harder to cheat, some states are already using webcams to monitor that the inspections are being done on the correct car, even if your not smog checked, but OBD-II only, there is still a visual inspection (that is rarely very thorough, but it might become that way in the future) so any visible tampering of emissions devices (the cat and EGR valve specifically) will get caught in the future. And forget about the standalones, without OBD-II and the first standalone to get OBD-II will get my money, but it also needs to pass the stringent emissions approval process for aftermarket parts, which would likely be even tougher.

For the 5-6 whp (YES THAT IS ALL AN AFTERMARKET CAT STEALS ON MOST CARS) I say its best to use one.. If your nitpicking over 5-6 whp, get your fat *** to a gym and dump your 300lb girlfriend and kick your Posse out of the car when you go out..

A few of the comments made are absolutely offensive to me.. The *REASON* we have problems with the environment are because there are TONS of people who say "What difference does my contribution make, its only a small amount of bad crap" Multiply that by the 3 million other whiners..

If your going to make power, be f'ing responsible about it.. Otherwise you deserve to get your car impounded, fined, and imprisoned.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just make a Fake cat.

The Best HFC loses 15WHP to a test pipe, even more Torque, and loss in spool.

I like test pipes.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Helix Hi-flow cat are pretty decent, i have one on my car, my CEL keep shooting up though 2nd O2 sensor ;/
Old Aug 5, 2006, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
A few of the comments made are absolutely offensive to me.. The *REASON* we have problems with the environment are because there are TONS of people who say "What difference does my contribution make, its only a small amount of bad crap" Multiply that by the 3 million other whiners..

If your going to make power, be f'ing responsible about it.. Otherwise you deserve to get your car impounded, fined, and imprisoned.
what difference will it make if you run a test pipe on the highway rather than on a race track which is still in the same environment right next to a highway?? none!
Old Aug 5, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Its only going to get worse.. Long Island has some pretty strict rules compared to other areas (hence why we need to retain the OBD-II and Emissions controls) you can fiddle with them, as long as they pass and you have a Cat, you usually don't have a problem like you might in California.

However, There is a potential fine and imprisonment if your caught without a Cat, and due to the nature of the way modified cars are viewed, I'd much rather stay as legal as possible..

Keep in mind if your busted without a cat..

1) YOu get a huge fine, possible jail time
2) YOUR MECHANIC gets a fine, and possible jail time
3) The Inspection station will get a HUGE fine, lose their license, and possible jail time.

Not to mention in the future it will be harder to cheat, some states are already using webcams to monitor that the inspections are being done on the correct car, even if your not smog checked, but OBD-II only, there is still a visual inspection (that is rarely very thorough, but it might become that way in the future) so any visible tampering of emissions devices (the cat and EGR valve specifically) will get caught in the future. And forget about the standalones, without OBD-II and the first standalone to get OBD-II will get my money, but it also needs to pass the stringent emissions approval process for aftermarket parts, which would likely be even tougher.

For the 5-6 whp (YES THAT IS ALL AN AFTERMARKET CAT STEALS ON MOST CARS) I say its best to use one.. If your nitpicking over 5-6 whp, get your fat *** to a gym and dump your 300lb girlfriend and kick your Posse out of the car when you go out..

i agree, yet disagree. you do know, however, that cars only make up about 10-15% of all the pollution. Factories and everything else make up about 85%. so just throwing that out there. but, me personally, i don't really want another reason for cops to be pulling me over.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 02:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by alloyic_rs
what difference will it make if you run a test pipe on the highway rather than on a race track which is still in the same environment right next to a highway?? none!
Its because if EVERYONE had that mentality, the pollution would be alot worse.. People have to stop thinking so egocentrically..

Anyway, as an individual your right, it makes very little difference, but take a little bit of responsibility in this world..

The other poster was right, a majority of the polution is due to factories belching out crap.. And we have to get them to do something about it too.. Right now the government trades polution points, a factory can run dirty, and in turn destroy old cars (CLASSIC CARS) for pollution points... Wait until it gets to the point where your car MUST be crushed if its older than 5 years.. Or 3 years.. This is not some disturbing alternative reality, this can happen..
Old Aug 5, 2006, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Wait until it gets to the point where your car MUST be crushed if its older than 5 years.. Or 3 years.. This is not some disturbing alternative reality, this can happen..
well i dont think this will happen anytime soon
Old Aug 5, 2006, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Wait until it gets to the point where your car MUST be crushed if its older than 5 years.. Or 3 years.. This is not some disturbing alternative reality, this can happen
That would Violate the Grandfather clasue which basically protects us from current laws making past cars illegal even if they do NOT pass emmissions. Especially with American cars which basically gets to do as they please beacuse you are basically keeping our History current.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 03:47 PM
EvoM Guru

You'd be surprised what kinda stuff tries to get passed under the radar.. but I think you guys kinda missed the point I was making.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 01:14 PM

Mix

To the above point all the plastics in the world produce pollution in creation and destruction,... they also use a gigaton of oil. As for Cats, WORKS has a nice stealth hiflow, and APEXi has an ECV exhaust control valve that'll bolt or weld in. As for the Police, alot of them are car/bike freaks too. Maybe not the majority of them are JDM fans. I have many good experiences with them as I'm always POLItE to the POLIcE. Also street ricers make it harder for all of us.